Author Topic: Where to start with picks?  (Read 10204 times)

sthompson

Re: Where to start with picks?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »

For those of you looking for "Cool Picks" Elderly Instruments has the widest
selection in one location that I have found.   

http://elderly.com/brand/PK_cool%20picks.html

These picks are made from various materials and have different types of
grip surfaces.
st
R.Taylor & Taylor, Goodall, Bourgeois, and Collings.
If only my skills were as sweet...

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »

For those of you looking for "Cool Picks" Elderly Instruments has the widest
selection in one location that I have found.   

http://elderly.com/brand/PK_cool%20picks.html

These picks are made from various materials and have different types of
grip surfaces.
st

Do the grips wear off?  I love the Jim Dunlaps bc the grips seem to not wear out.  I might have to try those.
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Jannie

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »
Wow, lots of good information, I got a whole series of Dunlap Tortex picks, I bought every one from .50mm to 1.14mm and a Fender Medium, plus the shop brand in light med and heavy. Impressive how much the experience using a pick can change - drastically depending on thickness. When I started I assumed I'd go for the lightest. I practiced yesterday and then about an hour and a half this evening just with picks, switching back and forth. The Dunlap Tortex (I don't remember seeing Ultex) after a while I'd try heavier and then just for the heck of it I tried the purple 1.14mm and got a huge softer, deeper sound and a big wow from me. At first I wasn't sure so I went back through all of them, learning control and listening to the sound of the actual pick scraping on the strings and then the difference in the sound of the guitar. Right now I like the heaviest (1.14mm) Tortex and the heaviest of the store brand. We'll see how I feel in the morning. Maybe tomorrow once my fingers are again too sore to keep playing, I'll check out one of the other guitar stores for picks.

Cindy I'll figure out how to send you a PM with the address, and thank you.

Jannie

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 11:35:48 PM »
Being new to using picks I was a little shocked when I first tried one. After awhile I found they would kind of start doing their thing and I'd get a rythm. One of the things about the 214 for me (please understand I have damaged hearing and wear aides) is that the guitar doesn't have the deep low tones that my classical had and the pick can accent a higher sound really easily with the lighter picks. But when I got to the heavier picks it found a whole new sound that my ears like a lot and this excited me. It reminds me of when I was trying out different stringsets for my classical, the strings could completely change the sound of the guitar and I'm noticing the same with the picks.

Plus I noticed that it might not keep the same character as I work up to the top of the neck, maybe yes, maybe no so it was (with my untalented fingers) something to keep trying over and over.

I've always played nylon string guitars (took about 25 years off in the middle) and after awhile with a new classical that was amazing but still it was a classical and they are, well, different, I decided I wanted to change.

So I'd always done my own kind of finger picking and had started practicing fingerstyle as well and now with a flat pick. I've got to say that the flat pick really wakes up this guitar wonderfully, it just needs it's operator to get something going that's good.

And, Oh, I just happened to try out a Taylor 714ce today and I am in LOVE, the sound with the cedar over the rosewood rings so wonderfully to my ears that I just have to start saving. I love the Taylor neck, and I admit I do love this 214 and will keep it if I get the 714ce cause I feel safer with it having the dull finish when I take it out or on the retreat I go to every summer with friends. But for now I'm going to set a goal of six money to get it together to get another guitar. Guess I've got the Taylor fever.

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »
I'm a big fan of the V Picks Ruby Red Tradition UltraLite.  Normally, I find their picks too heavy for strumming, but this one is great.  It really coaxes a nice, well-rounded tone out of my 816ce, not too bright, not too muddy. 

Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

Jannie

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »
Today I was able to get to another guitar store and picked up a few more; my fingers aren't bleeding but they sure are sore from spending hours switching picks back and forth. I've decided for the next couple of days at least, to just use the Dunlap Tortex Std .60. I find that thickness is much better for me than the really thick ones I was playing last night.

I started getting confused and especially since I've only been using a pick for a couple of days I decided to take one and work it awhile knowing as one of you said, it may take several months to feel settled in using one.

But I also love the process of defining what fits me, my personality and abilities. I'll have to say that my guitar really sounds pretty wonderful with this pick as I progress, I can't wait until I can really find character in the sound with a pick and to be able to always go there.

Have a wonderful holiday,
Namaste, Jannie

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »
Do the grips wear off?  I love the Jim Dunlaps bc the grips seem to not wear out.  I might have to try those.
i really don't know if the 'granulated' feeling surface on the Cool pic would wear off -
from the way they feel to me, if the surface were to wear off, so would my thumbprint ;)
actually dirt, finger oil, dead skin cells could collect & 'clog' the textured surface (scrub it ???)

i like dunlops too (ultex, gator tortex), as close to .9 mm as i can get :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

dangrunloh

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 01:07:58 AM »
For those looking for picks Elderly is a source that sell picks individually so you don't have to buy a dozen to find out if they work for you.  PICKS GALORE is another great website that sell picks in 1's or 2's. I'm liking the heavier Tortex and Ultrex.  I tried those light nylons that some of you like but I don't get it.

http://www.picksgalore.com/index.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:24:43 PM by UTGF-Team »

andyi5

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
I seem to recall starting with .60's too and over time as my wrist freed up I moved through .73's to .88's. It depends what style you're playing but it's very common that players adapt the picks they use over time.

I also have some Tortex picks but always found them much less pleasing to use than the Dunlop nylon standard series. They have an imprinted logo making them very easy to grip - Tortex are smooth I think?
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/standard

Even better than these to my ear are the Dunlop Maxgrip picks which I discovered recently:
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/max-grip-nylon-standard

Ed422

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »
For years and years, on electric, I used Fender Light in the traditional and larger triangle shapes.  Then, I found Herco Flex 50 and they became my exclusive.  I used them on acoustic for a long time and then found Cool Picks.  For a while now, I've quit using picks on acoustic and just use bare fingers.

I'm definitely in the "no right or wrong" camp...  fully personal preference.  Buy a bunch (various shapes and weights and textures).  Spend some time with each and figure out which works best for you.  Then,try the ones you didn't like again in 6 months to see if your tastes have changed.

Ed

Satsuki

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 11:19:28 PM »
Santa brought a Blue Chip pick that is amazing.

Jannie

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »
Which Blue Chip? Do you do more strumming or picking?

Jannie

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »
Cindy I got the picks today and quickly settled on the Black Cool Stealth Medium pick and the other is the one by Wedgie. I counted the other styles of picks I had bought so far and it came to 14 and I don't like any of them nearly as much as these two, thank you so much. They are somewhat different but both grip easily without gripping hard which I like. I've a lot to learn but I do like beinga able to adjust the tightness on the pick as part of how the control feels on the string for different effect.

And Cindy I'll keep a collection of all the others with your idea in mind.

sthompson

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »

I seem to vacillate between the Blue Chip TP50-1R and the Red Bear T-II Med as my
favorite picks.  Both are outstanding for strumming, flatpicking, and arpeggiating. 
However, I keep forgetting, pocket washing, and otherwise losing track of picks so
I just can't justify them on a regular, full time basis due to their cost.    :o

I have generally settled on the tortex picks offered by McPherson guitars.  They have
the standard colors/thicknesses with three different points and a cutout in the middle
for better grip.

http://mcphersonguitars.com/store/products/featured-products/mcpherson-guitar-picks/

I like these because I get a different response/tone from each corner and there are
no grip issues.  They are an all around very nice pick.
st
R.Taylor & Taylor, Goodall, Bourgeois, and Collings.
If only my skills were as sweet...

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 10:15:25 PM »
Jannie, since you like the Wedgie picks, I'll send you the rest that are left in the set. I believe there are 9 more. All the package says is Wedgie Nylon XT .73mm. I'm not even sure where I got them from...maybe an online purchase or maybe local. It might be next week before I can get them mailed, but they're yours! Glad I could help. :)
Cindy