Author Topic: A review of GuitarMoose Stickygrip Picks...  (Read 2901 times)

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
A review of GuitarMoose Stickygrip Picks...
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »
Along with discovering the delights of Taylor guitars this year, I have also been expanding my picks horizons.  I have been playing for 48 years (that makes me feel old when I write that), and until recently, felt a pick was a pick.  I've been using Wabash blues (similar to a Fender medium) for most of those years.  After playing with Gravity Picks, V-Picks, and a host of "home-grown" acrylic picks, I am sold on the fact that a good pick does make a difference... both in the feel and the sound.

I recently received my first order of GuitarMoose Sticktgrip Picks.  The thing that sets them apart is the cushioned grip on the top half of the pick, AND the "sticky" surface, much like the feel of a Post-It Note.

Here's a look at the picks...

Nice presentation!  Each pick is stuck to a business card - smart!

But, does the grip make a difference?  Thanks for asking... yes.  In fact, after all these years of skinny picks, this just felt... well, odd.  I gave them some more time, and in short order got comfortable with that cushion grip.  I picked up one of my home-made favorites, and it felt... skinny.

I really haven't had a problem with "moist" (sounds better than sweaty) hands and dropping picks.  But, if that was a concern, these would likely eliminate that.  I've read about a few folks here who have arthritis... these picks do require less grip, making them easier to hold.

How about the "sticky" part?  On their website, GuitarMoose shows the pick stuck to the top of a guitar.  I was thinking, "No way am I sticking anything on that beautiful finish on my Taylor's!"  Not to worry - like a Post-It Note, there is no residue... nothing left behind when you lift the pick off the surface of the guitar.

But, it does hold...

In that image, the pick is stuck to the top surface of my T-5, which is hanging on the wall.  And, yes, it lift off easily.

I'm impressed - it does what it was designed to do.  It's comfortable and cushy... and, it sticks!

You can check them out at: www.guitarmoose.com

No affiliation, no stock ownership in the company... just an old dog sharing some new tricks.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: A review of GuitarMoose Stickygrip Picks...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »
great review Capt'n!  I might have to give one of those a whirl...

I went to their website..."Carbon Fiber" pick?  Man...are we spoiled with today's technology!   :o
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 03:59:06 PM »
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I wanted to give my feedback too. Jim's explanation was very spot-on and thorough. I just returned from a Dulcimer Festival, where someone gave me one of these picks. I thought they worked great. I haven't tried it with the guitar yet (I play guitar most of the time with fingerpicks), but I am going to give it a try. They are a cool design and do help with the pick slipping in your hand. They come in 4 thicknesses, I believe. I also agree that it takes less effort to hold. I will probably be ordering some for my dulcimers, and will likely use them for my other instruments.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

taylor96

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »
Tried them a while back. did not like them . The sticky stuff on the end I felt was too think and most uncomfortable.. Personally I can't recommend them, BUT, that is ONLY my thoughts.. others may like them and that it fine.

Picks to me are like strings, I have my own preferences and others have theirs. that's what make the world go around and so interesting..
1996 Taylor 510
1998 Martin SPD-16T
2004 Blueridge BR160
Est.1990++ Goya G300

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 12:52:18 PM »
Update....I still love them for my mountain dulcimers. I tried them on the guitar and probably won't use them for that. A little thick (where you hold onto them). Besides, I'm a fingerstyle player, so my National Picks are my tool there. But, for the dulcimers, I'm happy. It allows for a very light grip, but the pick doesn't slip in your hand. Plus, it seems to help with pick clack. OK, I'm talking dulcimers now, not Taylor guitars, so I'll shut up.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!