Author Topic: young Taylor player  (Read 1587 times)

MeredithI

young Taylor player
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:48:58 AM »
Hello, I teach guitar and one of my newest students, a 9-year old girl, has an entry level Taylor.  It's a Taylor Swift 3/4 size "baby Taylor".  I am so proud of her accomplishments so far.  She can read music and has played everything I've put in front of her.  She's been taking lessons from me for less that four months.  Note in the video she learned that Bm chord and Gsus4 chord in only a couple of weeks and she's only NINE.  It won't be long 'til she's ready to "graduate" to a standard size and model Taylor.  Here she is with her dad, who's learning banjo, making music with family, sister and grandma singing harmony around a campfire at Thanksgiving in North Carolina.  The song is "The Rainbow Connection" made famous by Kermit the Frog.  Nah, they're not exactly in tune and they're not professionals, but this is what it's all about!!  Bonding with family with MUSIC.  This is how we nurture our children to grow up to be music makers.  I'm so proud to be a guitar teacher!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdMj0ElyKu4&feature=youtu.be
Sighing in contentment.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: young Taylor player
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:59:39 AM »
Hello MeredithI!!! It's great to have you here! Please make yourself at home! ;D

Thanks for sharing your story, and most of all thanks for investing your life and love of music with that girl. Not too shabby for a 9 year old! ;) it's neat to see how the family was bonding through their music.

Welcome again!  :)

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 01:09:10 AM »
 Hi MeredithI. Welcome to the UTGF. Thanks for sharing the video. In all of your excitement, you forgot to introduce yourself.  ;) Enjoy the site.  :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

MeredithI

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:18:37 AM »
Yes, you're right, I didn't introduce myself.  I mostly wanted to share the story of my student who owns a Taylor.  I play an Ovation Custom Legend 1619 Acoustic-Electric (solid sitka spruce top) and a Dauphin Classical (solid cedar top).  I have played many Taylors though and I like them a lot.  I've been playing since 1973 in the 6th grade when I got my first guitar, a Yamaha FG 110.   I went to college as a music major with my principal instrument as classical guitar.  I now teach general music at an elementary school, plus I teach private guitar in the afternoons.  Right now I have 9 private guitar students.  Only one has a Taylor and that's the student in the video link.  I wish they all had Taylors though!  Some of the entry level guitars I've seen by other manufacturers not good at all!  It's hard to convince a parent to spend more than $200 on an instrument for a child though.  Oh yeah, I'm a woman!  There aren't many lady guitar players out there, but rest assured I love being surrounded by great guys who play guitar.  That's one of the perks of being a lady guitarist: ya get to hang out with lots of guys.   ;)  Relax, I'm married.   :D

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »
Heart-warming video!  The young lady in the video does a fine job.  :)

Welcome aboard!  Nice to have you here.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »
Hi Meredith and welcome to the UTGF. :)

Your student certainly has the makings of becoming a fantastic guitar player before she is even out of high school! Kudos to her family for getting her a Taylor. Yes, even the smaller bodied Taylors are quite playable and well-built, but as you said, it is difficult to convince a parent to purchase a better quality instrument because of its price. Her guitar seems especially well suited for her size.

Look out Taylor Swift. :o
Cindy

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
So cool, how nice for you to look at that and know you had a role in shaping that young girl's (and her family's) life.  I still remember my first guitar teacher.  We never know what influence we may have on others and it's nice to see it in action once in a while.

Welcome to the forum, perhaps when she is old enough - or with her parent's supervision she will join us here.

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:52:37 AM »
thanks for sharing. i wish i started as early as her. again, great vid! nothing better than sharing music with loved ones (esp family).
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:48:13 PM »
Hi Meredith and welcome to the UTGF, it is great to have you here :)
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.