Author Topic: I should know this by now, but what is the difference: GAce vs X14ce  (Read 2626 times)

American Red

I have seen the GA's, GS's and now I see a GAce.

What is the difference between a GA3ce and a 314ce?

Just curious...

bandit59

Re: I should know this by now, but what is the difference: GAce vs X14ce
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:53:49 AM »
The spelling
Taylor 410ce  (2012)
Epiphone 'Roy Orbison' 12 string
Eastman AC412 om
Eastman AR503ce

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:13:12 AM »
As far as I know, there's no such thing as a GA3ce in Taylor's line today. Cutaways are not an option on the non-cutaway (GA) models, while non cutaway is not an option on the 14s, which all have cutaways. This wasn't always the case, so you might be looking at something older...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:20:37 AM »
The differences are cosmetic.  The 814ce has 800 series fretboard markers, curly maple binding and heel cap, cutaway is standard.  The GA8ce would have 4mm Abalone Dots fretboard markers, Ivoroid binding and heel cap, and the cutaway would be a option.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 08:33:07 AM »
The spelling

Sounds like Strumming Fool had the correct answer but yours is brilliant too Bandit!
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

American Red

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »
As far as I know, there's no such thing as a GA3ce in Taylor's line today. Cutaways are not an option on the non-cutaway (GA) models, while non cutaway is not an option on the 14s, which all have cutaways. This wasn't always the case, so you might be looking at something older...

Here is one

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gcce-n-fltd

Here is another one... 2012

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gace-fltd

And another

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gsce-fltd

But now I understand.. Took me a few to figure out why Taylor would to that, but I fell right into the fall..

Thank you for the answers!!!

Makes perfectly good sense to me..

It is hard to specify why one LTD should be a 4 series and the next one a 3 series.
Instead, they are just the fall series..  Different, Better, bridging the gap between the different series..

Could also be a BTO-Production model or BTOP...

So I have a GAce-BTOP-SLTD
in other words a 314ce-LTD
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:54:24 AM by American Red »

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
I have seen the GA's, GS's and now I see a GAce.

What is the difference between a GA3ce and a 314ce?

Just curious...

The numbered series guitars (of which the 314ce, 410ce, 516ce, 812ce are examples) are Taylor's electro-acoustic series characterized by built-in pickup systems and cutaways as standard features. The letter series (such as the GA3, DN4, GS5, 812) make up the acoustic series where pickup systems are an extra-cost option and when so optioned, they may carry the additional, e, designation. There are two additional differences between the acoustic and electro-acoustic series however. One is the more ornate (costlier) appointments of the electro-acoustic series and the other, has to do with the thickness of the back and sides. The wood thickness of the back and sides of the electro-acoustic series is constant across the entire series where as that thickness on the acoustic series varies as a function of wood type. So the thickness of the sapele on a 314 is the same as that of the rosewood on an 814 but the thickness of the sapele on GA3 will be different from that of the rosewood on a GA8.

Denser wood does not have to be as thick as less dense wood but Taylor had standardized on one thickness for years and when the practice of optimizing the thickness for each type of wood was introduced with the acoustic series, the thinking at the time was that since the electro-acoustic series were more likely to be used on stage and thus subject to more stress, it would be safer to continue using one wood thickness irrespective of type of wood. I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor began optimizing wood thickness on all their guitars and it may be that they already have and I'm just not aware of it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:09:16 PM by Herb Hunter »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »
Just wanted to be clear...and I checked Taylor's website again. The "No cutaway" option is not available for the ce models (otherwise, I'd be tempted to order one that way), and the cutaway option is not available on the acoustic non-cutaway series. Either series can be ordered with or without ES. The examples above are limited editions and do not fall under the same rules as the standard models.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood