Author Topic: New member in Colorado  (Read 1233 times)

jamesk

New member in Colorado
« on: November 18, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
Greetings, all! I just bought my first Taylor, a GC 8. In fact, I've never bought a new guitar before, my 80s Washburn being a gift from my wife when we got married. I've had the GC for about a month and love to play it.  I'm also playing around with different strings. I found the Elixirs that came with the guitar to be a bit "thick" and high for my small, uncalloused fingers. (I haven't played regularly for a long time. But I'm making up for it now!) I tried DiAddarios and Martin SP, but went back to Elixir extra light and adjusted the truss rod to lower the action a bit, while I got used to the guitar. I backed off the truss rod adjustment after getting some string buzz. I'm just learning fingerpicking. I tried growing my nails on the right hand, but couldn't get used to it, so I'm shopping for some good finger picks. Any suggestions?

Also, I found a few dead notes, F,F#, and G on the 5th string. Notes just die almost instantly. It's not the neck, as the dead notes migrate on the fretboard when the string is tuned down or up. It's always those same notes. The dullness is less pronounced but still evident on those same notes on the 4th string. I found a post on a different forum from  GC owner who said exactly the same thing. I don't spend alot of time on those 5th string frets, so while I'm not planning on returning the guitar, I'd still like to hear from others on the best way to mitigate the problem. And, no, I didn't have the guitar set up before bringing it home. Should I have that done? My gut tells me the problem lies with the resonance of the body, but again would like to hear from others. From other postings, this seems like a fairly common problem.

All that aside, I love my Taylor! Before buying, I attended a Taylor Road Show. The most interesting part was, after Wayne Johnson played all the various styles of Taylors, they asked for a show of hands as to which body style had the sound the attendees preferred. Almost every hand went up for the Grand Concert. I find it interesting, because I've been reading in other forums, on other guitar makes, that Taylors are "too bright"! Yet compared even to other larger body Taylors, the less "boomy" GC was chosen as having the best overall tone.

Anyway, that's my intro. Looking forward to lots of playing and chatting about Taylor guitars!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:51:20 PM by jamesk »

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
Re: New member in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »
 Hi Jamesk. Welcome to the UTGF. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions on how to get your guitar properly set up. Congrats on the new GC8. Enjoy the site.  :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »
Welcome Jamesk!  Glad you found us!  Beautiful Taylor you've got there!  Can't beat the spruce/rosewood combo!  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »
Welcome Jamesk,  Nice GC8 you have there.  I am originally for Boulder ( please don't judge me ;D)but moved long ago, to the north of you.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »
Welcome jamesk!  Please feel at home here.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

jamesk

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, all! mgap, I got no  prob with Boulder,it's a great town! I'm a desert rat, though, so spend my free time in Utah, so I have my own issues! ;) So, I'm wondering what musical highways folks travel, on this here forum? I've been a rock n roller most of my life, but took the acoustic off ramp recently, with my new Taylor purchase. There's alot to be said for being a late bloomer, I get to discover artists that everyone else has known about forever. Like, Leo Kottke. I just found his album, "6 & 12 String Guitar", from '69 no less, and just think it's wonderful. So tons of acoustic music I turned my nose up at in my youth, now spread before me like a banquet. It'll be a fun learning adventure! So what guitarists floats your boat?

briguysm

• Yeah, I "play" guitar...
    • The Attic STL
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »
Welcome, and congrats on your purchase.

I'd love to hear some sound clips of your Taylor if you have the time/resources to post them up here.
2012 Taylor Custom GA BTO - Sinker/Macassar
1998 Taylor W-10
2018 Duesenberg Starplayer TV sparkle blue