Author Topic: New member from St. Louis, MO  (Read 2913 times)

briguysm

• Yeah, I "play" guitar...
    • The Attic STL
New member from St. Louis, MO
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »
Hey all,

I have been lurking here for a bit and now finally decided to join. You guys don't know it, but you've helped me to make several decisions regarding Taylor guitar purchases in the past. I frequented these forums every time I was buying or selling a guitar to read various opinions, reviews, and experiences. Now I've decided I might as well join up and be a part of the community.

It seems there are many members who are very well versed in all things Taylor, and there is much knowledge to be sponged up by an enthusiast such as myself.

A bit about my guitars:

I currently don't have a guitar. Well, let me back up a bit...

My first guitar was a Martin D1 that my wife bought me after our first year dating. She got it on ebay. I played it for about 3 years, then sold it and bought my first Taylor.

My sister worked at Guitar Center and got me the family discount on a new 414ce.
I played that for about 4 years and sold it to pick up a beautiful 1997 814c (no electronics). The color in the wood was beautifully rich and the sound had fully opened up. This was my favorite guitar I've owned so far. I had a Fishman Ellipse Matrix blend system installed about a week into owning it. It sounded incredible acoustic, or through a system. The guy I bought the guitar from was local to me, and he had 3 other high end Taylors. All of his guitars were taken care of very well, so I knew I was getting a good instrument. I used this guitar on several recordings, and countless live events, and it was always met with high praise.

About a year after I bought that guitar, though, I was presented with a golden opportunity to grab a K24ce, so I sold my 814c and bought the Koa.

About a month after I got the K24ce, I was walking from the back room into the main room to sing at the funeral of a friend of mine (so I was already upset and emotional), and I tripped and dropped the guitar...and landed on it. I have no idea how it happened, it was just one of those things where I was emotionally exhausted, physically spent, and having a horrible day. Needless to say, the guitar is ruined. I'm 5'11", about 250lbs, so when I fell on the body of the guitar, there was little it could do besides shatter.

I have been borrowing my brother-in-law's Breedlove for the past several months trying to figure out what I am going to do to replace my fractured guitar.

Well, today, I submitted an order through the Taylor BTO program for a custom GA. I have started a thread already on here with the specs and details, but the highlights are:  Sinker Redwood top, Macassar Striped Ebony back/sides, florentine cutaway, Koa Island Vine fretboard and peghead inlay, Hawaiian Koa figured binding, abalone/Paua single ring rosette with bound sound hole, Macassar Striped Ebony peghead overlay and truss rod cover, and ES electronics.

I mainly play for my church and other churches in the area, as I travel around to lead worship. I also do a few gigs on the side, though, and enjoy playing many different styles of music.

I have always enjoyed the bright shimmer of Taylor guitars. I now also find the rich and full sound of the woods used in high end Taylors to balance out the sound to what I've always wanted my guitar to sound like. I am looking forward to digging deeper into the Taylor community and learning about all that these guitars have to offer.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:08:10 PM by UTGF-Team »
2012 Taylor Custom GA BTO - Sinker/Macassar
1998 Taylor W-10
2018 Duesenberg Starplayer TV sparkle blue

briguysm

• The Attic STL
Re: New member from St. Louis, MO
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »
Also, to any moderators that might be reading this...

I'm sorry about posting in the "sale" section against the rules. I hadn't read that before posting, then when I noticed my post had been deleted, I read the rules and found what I had done wrong. It was not my intention to go against forum rules, I'm not that kinda guy.

Hopefully it won't count against me!  :D
1998 Taylor W-10

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum, quite sad to hear about the loss of your friend and guitar.  Glad you decided to join us, it's a great place.

briguysm

• The Attic STL
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
Thanks, TaylorPlayer.

Unfortunately, the friend's passing was just about as sudden as the guitar breaking. He went into the ER on a Monday with a head ache, and died on Friday with a brain tumor. Total shock.

However, as with the guitar, he has left things behind to remember him by, and will never stop contributing to my life or the lives of those who knew him.

Glad to be a part of this community.
1998 Taylor W-10

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »
 Hi Briguysm. Welcome to the UTGF. Enjoy the site.  :)

My condolences over the passing of your friend.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

briguysm

• The Attic STL
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
Hi Briguysm. Welcome to the UTGF. Enjoy the site.  :)

My condolences over the passing of your friend.

Thank you and thank you.

I'm glad to be here. A great community so far.
1998 Taylor W-10

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 12:06:05 AM »
Welcome briguysm!!!  Glad you found us!  Please make yourself at home!   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

dmccrider

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 02:55:24 AM »
Welcome briguysm, sounds like you've got some better times due you, hope they come your way soon! I've got to ask you about your new Taylor! I'm curious, I've heard alot of good things about Sinker Redwood but I've never heard Sinker Redwood and I'm totally ignorant about Macassar Ebony, what made you chose that combo for your BTO?

briguysm

• The Attic STL
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »
Welcome briguysm, sounds like you've got some better times due you, hope they come your way soon! I've got to ask you about your new Taylor! I'm curious, I've heard alot of good things about Sinker Redwood but I've never heard Sinker Redwood and I'm totally ignorant about Macassar Ebony, what made you chose that combo for your BTO?

Well, to be honest, after the demise of my Koa, I started prowling on Taylor's website to see what I wanted to do. I thought about getting the same guitar again because I loved the way it looked. However, I wasn't blown away by the sound. It sounded great, don't get me wrong, but there was something missing for me when I got to strumming hard (which I do quite a bit). My Koa would get lost in the mix when I was playing with a full band. It just didn't have the umph I wanted.

So, as I was searching for the next big thing, I happened to see the front page banner Taylor had up about their 2012 Fall Limiteds. I clicked on the picture of the PS14ce-FLTD and it was all over.

I started reading about the Sinker Redwood, described as "cedar on steroids" with a big bold response, and the warm overtones with extra brightness and headroom. it just sounded like the top I had been searching for. Then the story of how they get the Sinker Redwood and how it's pulled from old growth logs sitting in CA rivers for centuries...well, that's just icing on the cake.

I read further, and found the description of Macassar Ebony to just seal the deal. A hardwood with a lot of presence and clear loud dynamic range. Strong bass and lower mids, yet clear highs just sounded like it would balance out the extra brightness of the Sinker top perfectly. Then I'm almost dancing in my chair when I read the description that it's perfect for "old school strummers" who like that thick old school sound and that the wood likes to be played hard.

These two woods together create an incredibly striking visual experience that will captivate anyone immediately. What else could I possibly want? A beautifully balanced instrument that projects well without getting muddy, is very difficult to out-strum, and looks like the wood version of a rare gemstone. I became absolutely obsessed with this guitar. I probably stared at pictures of it 20-30 times throughout the day as I was working on other things, keeping a web page up to search for pictures, specs, reviews, options, etc. from time to time as something would pop up in my mind to check out. I almost couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about different ways I could get my hands on one of these!  :o

I soon learned that Taylor built only 60 of the Fall Limiteds, and that there weren't many out there to be purchased. I couldn't have that guitar, but I quickly decided I didn't care about the guitar, I just wanted that wood combo.

My guitar rep suggested to me that I build a custom guitar with those woods. I then began the 5 week journey to building my dream guitar. I went back and forth many times, changing this or that, even down to the last possible second with big and small changes. Now I'm absolutely thrilled to see this guitar and play it.

In hindsight, I realized that the abalone trim around the entire guitar would have been a bit much for my taste and style. It is beautiful, but I would prefer a slightly more understated presentation. Thus, my BTO will be everything I need and want, without anything else. I doubt I will ever sell it, as I feel like it's so uniquely me that I doubt I would ever find an axe worthy of being its replacement. I might, however, feel the need to add to my arsenal once this guitar has settled in at home... ;D

Anyway, that's my experience and journey so far.
1998 Taylor W-10

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 07:22:45 PM »
Wow, great story of your search for the new BTO.  I to want to say hi and welcome the the forum.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

briguysm

• The Attic STL
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:28:02 PM »
Wow, great story of your search for the new BTO.  I to want to say hi and welcome the the forum.

Thanks man!
1998 Taylor W-10

dmccrider

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »
Cool story, glad you are finally getting your guitar!

briguysm

• The Attic STL
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:34:14 AM »
Cool story, glad you are finally getting your guitar!

Didn't mean to write a book about it, but it has been such an exciting journey for me that I had to share all the tidbits about it.

Thanks!
1998 Taylor W-10