Author Topic: Veteran's Day  (Read 1054 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Veteran's Day
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »
Happy Veteran's Day to all!  Thank you for your service!

US Army
1982-1986

GtrgRrl

Re: Veteran's Day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:10:06 PM »
I have always been thankful to those who have served our country, but I must say that in recent months I have become even more grateful. 

To all our soldiers and veterans, I salute you.
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.”   Keith Richards

www.portlandmusiccompany.com

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
 I'm a vet (USAF) and I'd like to thank all of the men and women currently serving in our armed forces.

I knew this guy named Jack Parker (not his real last name). Jack was a terrible drunk and a WWII vet. When I first met Jack, he was at his worse. I think Jack wanted to drink himself to death and he nearly succeeded several times. Jack was retired law enforcement, 20 years on the job. I won't reveal where he worked, but the initials are NCHP. He was a big man, 6'4", 250 lbs. Jack would get sober, then not so sober. His drinking and ETOH withdrawal complications had gotten progressively worse.

The last time I saw Jack Parker, he was sober and looked happy. Probably because he had somehow managed to stay sober for a few years. I was curious. What happened to make a hopeless alcoholic stop drinking? I had to ask.

Jack Parker landed on a beach in Normandy, France on June 6, 1944. Part of Operation Overlord. D-Day. He fought for his life while his friends were being slaughtered. Somehow, he kept fighting and managed to survive.

Jack returned from overseas with plenty of demons. A lifetime of demons. Demons you can't drink, ignore, or chase away.

Jack Parker returned to Normandy, France on June 6, 1994. He went over with a group of fellow survivors. Finally, the demons were gone.

Remember and honor those vets who have died fighting for the freedom that we all enjoy. More so, remember those who are currently serving and fighting for our country. Hopefully, they'll be home soon.

They're going to need plenty of patience and love, just like Jack.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Brian

• just a box of rain...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:56:23 AM »
Thank you to all Veterans and to all who are currently enlisted for your sacrifice.  I cannot even imagine and I am extremely grateful.  Thank you.

-Brian

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »
Shayne, that's a beautiful story.  I knew a man who fought in WWII, had his ship shot out from under him and was one of 20 to survive out of a crew of over 200.  He came back, married, started a family, ran a small business, and had a generally productive life.......when he wasn't drinking.  He ruined alot of relationships during the years.

I suspected he was fighting demons from his wartime experiences.  He served in the British Navy and told me when the war was over they gave him a train ticket and that was it, no therapy in those days.  He went home to London not knowing if his parents and house were still there after all the bombing.  One day we were sitting together and he looked out in the distance and said quietly.....I wonder why I lived.....

One day, he just gave it up, cold turkey and was able to live out his life in retirement and peace - and we forged a wonderful relationship.  I don't know what made him change but I was glad he did, he was my dad and passed away 3 years ago at 89....I miss him.  Here in DC we get alot of the Honor Flights of the older vets and everytime I'm at the airport or one of the memorials I can't help but get choked up when I see them....

HondaMC1

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
US Army 1974 - 1977
Thinking today of my little brother (Navy) never recovered from the Gulf War.
Has "brief reactive syndrome" (not so brief) and "obsessive compulsive behavior"
Thankfully being treated at the Indianapolis VA Hospital.
Taylor 814ce
Taylor GS Mahogany FLTD
Taylor 654ce 12 String Red/Maple
R. Taylor Style 1 Spruce / Maple
Taylor T3 Bigbsy Tobacco
Taylor T5 Koa
Taylor T5 12 String Black with Inlay (sold)
Taylor Solidbody Standard Tobacco (sold)
K4
Genz Benz Shen Pro 200
Roland AC60
Carvin X100B - PA620
Bogner 40/20w
Bose L1 and LII w/ B2 subs

Comfort Player

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »
US Navy 1981-1993

Thanks to all before and after.
Can't we all just get along
--------------------------------------------------------
11 Taylor 714ce Custom Sunburst ( on its way ! )
11 GS Mini
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA Custom SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor