Author Topic: I am about to burst!  (Read 13363 times)

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
Re: I am about to burst!
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 01:31:44 AM »
hey cap, congrats on the new 814ce! a fun read! give us an in-depth review after using it a while. again 'grats and keep on playing!
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 02:27:06 AM »
Great post(s) and congrats on picking a winner!

(Pun intended.)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 02:29:14 AM »
Congrates Jim hope she sounds as good as it looks. I'm sure it will be worth the wait and like my Taylors put a smile on your face every time you play.
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »
Yay, happy NGD!!

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »
What a sweet burst on your 814, such rich shading!  Taylor does such a nice job on their finishes, don't they?  Enjoy in good health Captain.
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 10:05:57 AM »
Thanks for all the feel-good comments, folks.  Nice to hear that you enjoyed my angst,

For egkor, I appreciate the kind words... yes, I am a writer of sorts; not my day job.  I wrote a book about our travels with a furry family member...

... and was a regular contributor for a couple photography magazines many years ago.  Tongue-in-cheek is my style.  Life is way too serious to take it seriously.   ;)

We are about 400 miles SSW of Houston, at the very southern tip of Texas.

I didn't get much sleep last night.  No, I'm not worried about the next shipment... well, not yet.  I think I had visions of sweet guitar sounds dancing in my head.  It really is a beautiful guitar that sounds as sweet as it looks.  The last time I was this giddy about a material purchase was when our current boat came out of the factory.  May have been the anticipation of the unknown, but highly anticipated?

My shopping is done; the ever-encouraging Blonde is looking for furniture for the music room.  She wasn't satisfied with, "All I need is a chair."

Gotta go play my new guitar.  :)

Best wishes,
Jim
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:38:23 PM by Captain Jim »
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »
Well, that was a very large file of the book cover in the previous post - a quick edit and now it is much smaller.  I wasn't trying for shameless self promotion there.  I do, however, have no issue with slightly shameful self promotion for the book.  ;)

I said good-bye to a friend today: I put the 114 in its case and packed the case in the box the 814ce came in.  I played it for a few minutes before packing it away.  It really is a great guitar.  If someone is looking for a nice sounding 114ce that doesn't have a lot of playing time on it, you should contact Jim or James at Guitar Rodeo... this one should be there within a week or so.

It is the guitar that gave me the introduction to the Taylor line.  Bought it new last February.  It stayed in the temperature and humidity controlled house while we were out on the boat for 6 months.  If you do the math, you can easily figure how close to new this guitar is.

I didn't trade it off because it was bad - I really enjoyed the sound and feel.  One of us, and I won't mention her name, could see how much fun I was having again playing, and encouraged me to get another "lifetime" guitar.  No regrets, but I truly appreciate what that guitar did for re-energizing my desire to play, and for introducing me to this friendly forum.

Some of you know I am a boat kinda guy; there is an old saying with boats: the two happiest days in a boater's life - the day he buys the boat, and the day he sells it.  I could not be more delighted to have that 814 in the mix; not delighted that the 114 is going away to make room for it.  But, space, playing time, and keeping the Blonde happy are all important considerations.   8)

I have some work on the boat to get done... not easy when I can't walk by the new guitar without picking it up and playing for a bit.

I spoke with Jim at Guitar Rodeo to let them know the 114 is on its way there.  He asked how I was doing with the 814... we both chuckled regarding my apprehension about buying a guitar over the phone, and he said, "Taylors are consistent.  The 814s are always great guitars.  And that one you have is truly spectacular."

Smart business, savvy customer relations.  I appreciate that.  If not for you folks here, I probably would not have considered a phone deal - you were absolutely right about Guitar Rodeo.  I'm a believer now, too.

Well, a retired guy's work is never done; back to the projects (until I can get some more playing time in later today).

Best wishes,
Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

play2praiseHim

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
Wonderful looking guitar. I was born an raised in Texas. I live up north now due to my husbands military assignment. I really miss Texas this time of year. That 814 will look great under the Texas sky.
Lady Toni
2013 Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage Ltd.
2012 GS Mini LTD Tasmanian Blackwood

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 02:34:47 PM »
Gorgeous burst on your new 814. Congrats!

I'm very happy your anxious wait is over. I had a great time reading your posts. It's amazing how similar the experience of waiting for shipments is for all of us. But you put those feelings into words like few can. I apologize for the Presidential thing. Wasn't very kind considering it was your first guitar shipping experience.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »
Gorgeous burst on your new 814. Congrats!

I'm very happy your anxious wait is over. I had a great time reading your posts. It's amazing how similar the experience of waiting for shipments is for all of us. But you put those feelings into words like few can. I apologize for the Presidential thing. Wasn't very kind considering it was your first guitar shipping experience.

Re: the Presidential thing - I thought it was funny!  ;D  Well, the guitar waiting thing, not the Presidential thing.  I figured some folks here would be able to relate... you know, that whole "misery loves company" thing.  I would rather have a little fun with it.

Now, if you want to see me fret about something (pun?), the T-5 arrived in Mesquite, Texas, early yesterday afternoon, and the tracking info says it hasn't moved since then (26 hours later).  Do you suppose the package handlers are jammin' down with that guitar?   ???

Best wishes,
Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 12:07:04 AM »
Hey Capt'n she looks beautiful!  ;D

From what you've said she sounds wonderful! You know what'll be better? That same guitar's sound years from now!  Trust me...these guitars sound better with playing time.  My guitar is a little over a year old.  The sound is a smidgen richer than when I got it new.

Could I sell it to fund different Taylor? You betcha! But why would I want to? I've become attached to it.  I look forward to growing old with it...it's going to be a friend for life. ;)

I'm betting that you'll feel the same way. ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
You got that right, Josh!  That sweet 814ce gave me goose bumps after getting her tuned up.  I know we all go through that new guitar passion, but this one is a keeper.   :)

Got another "Out For Delivery" message... looks like the I'll be able to crank up the anticipation again.   ;)

Best wishes,
Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
That's a beautiful guitar, Jim! If you decide to go with a pickguard, the clear ones won't affect seeing the burst. In fact, the clear ones are really hard to see unless the light hits the guitar just right.

The burst on yours looks just like the burst on my former 914ce. Taylor does seem to be consistent with their bursts (as well as their overall quality!)

So how are you holding up while waiting for your other guitar? :o

Cindy

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »
The UPS driver was obviously feeling less sadistic today - he showed up two hours earlier than on Tuesday.  The box was well put together, but not designed just for a guitar, like the box the 814 came in.  I sliced open the box and we pulled out the case...

Nice case - it appears to be in perfect shape.  I held my breath and opened the case...

Oh... even better than I had hoped for!  It was described in the eBay ad as "like new" - pretty optimistic for a 2005 guitar.  No exaggeration, though; I pulled it out and looked it over.  Not as badly out of tune as the 814, but I put it down to get a tuner and a strap.

If you've seen our blog, little Izzy, our furry family member, plays a big part in our travels and adventures.  She was very interested in this new addition...

Tuned up and strapped on, this is a VERY nice guitar!  I took it into the music room to check out the electronics - all systems are more than go, they kick butt!  There is an A/B/Y box coming - I can't wait to try that with this guitar and the two small amps.

I received an invitation for happy hour out on the deck... "Bring the T5."

"Yes, ma'am."

We spent the morning on the boat.  The afternoon passed by with way less angst.  I said, "If this T5 is half the guitar that the 814 is, I will be delighted."

I am beyond delighted... plays great, looks like new.  My first time buying a used guitar.  The previous owner obviously took very good care of this.  It is a bit overwhelming to get two great guitars two days apart, considering my past experience of years apart.  I made the bid on the T5 after I had already done the deal on the 814.  I just couldn't believe that this guitar didn't go for a LOT more.  It didn't hurt that my Honey was right there, saying, "Go for it!" as the auction ticked away.  She was leaning towards a very pretty Koa, I was taken with this one.  Lucky for me that this auction ended first.

The weather is beautiful this time of year in the Tropical Tip of Texas... still, I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the music room.   :)

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Best wishes,
Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »
That is simply outstanding, Jim!  You are a fortunate man to be able to enjoy such great guitars and with the best of company to boot!!  I've been following along your little journey here and am so pleased it worked out like you wanted ...if not better!  Enjoy it all, friend!!  :)

Edward