Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 2548 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Hurricane Sandy
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
Well, we are ready, got supplies and everything's cleared out of the yard and deck.  Just waiting now, I hope everyone in the path stays safe and gets thru it ok.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:31:14 PM »
Well, we are ready, got supplies and everything's cleared out of the yard and deck.  Just waiting now, I hope everyone in the path stays safe and gets thru it ok.

Stay safe friend!!!!!!   
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »
Being from South Louisiana I know what these can do.  Please don't take it lightly.  Please be safe and I hope no one in its path gets hurt.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

dcarey

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »
Everything in our yard has been put away except for the grill...I'm cooking a rack of ribs on it right now, but as soon as the charcoal is out, in the garage it goes.

Let's see, milk, bread, eggs, toilet paper, beer, vodka, and gas in the generator.
Yup! All set!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
Add bottled water to that list; lots of it.  From one who lives in a hurricane zone, it is the aftermath that is tough... on our island, when the power goes out (and it was out for about 10 days after Hurricane Dolly), so do the pumps... for pushing water onto the island and sewage off of the island.  Have enough gas to run the generator for a least a week.  Get familiar with "power management" if the generator can't power up the whole house.

In low-lying areas, it is the water surge that will do the most damage.  And it looks like the weather weasels are predicting a 10' surge in the affected areas.  Keep your head down - it isn't the wind so much as what's IN the wind.

I have tips on prepping boats, but for this forum: get those guitars to higher ground!

We don't mess with Mother Nature; if it has a name, we are outta here.  Good luck to all you folks on the east coast - our thoughts are with you.

Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

dcarey

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
Oh we always keep bottled water around...so we can still make coffee on the Coleman stove. We continually rotate the water and gas supply (which reminds me I have to put gas treatment in the new gas). Living on the coast in NE all my life has taught me to be prepared.

During hurricane Irene, we were the only folks on the block to be able to cook anything we wanted. Had lots of company that week!

Lots of damage but no one injured!  You're looking at tree #1 which took out trees # 2, 3, & 4, and two garages. You can't see it in this photo but there are two cars under tree #1 that sustained no damage at all!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:53:50 PM by dcarey »
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
Wow dcarey, that is one large tree, glad no one was hurt.

DC is thru the worst of it, dealing with flooding and downed trees but looks like the area was spared the bad side of the storm.

NJ and NYC are really hit - I hope any UTGFr's up there are ok. 

WV and PA are still dealing with the storm so my thoughts go out to you also.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:30:43 PM »
 Capt. Jim, I thought about you when this tragedy happened off of our coast here in NC.

http://www.wral.com/captain-of-doomed-tall-ship-an-experienced-sailor/11719598/

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
A sad situation and a lot of "Monday morning quarterbacking."  I have heard plenty of "Why would they be out there?" questions, but try not to second-guess the decision.  Kudos to the Coast Guard in that rescue mission.

That entire region is in a world of hurt.  Thoughts and prayers to all those affected.  The media tends to quantify these things, tallying numbers and comparing it to other natural disasters.  If you've ever been affected by a hurricane (or blizzard, flood, etc, etc), you know the anxiety, frustration, rage, and other emotions the survivors go through.  Natural disasters aren't "better or worse" than one another - they are all bad, and if you, your family, or your home are affected, you don't really care that this is only the "12th worst natural disaster."

All the captains I know take the responsibility of the safety of passengers, crew, and equipment to heart.  All the time.  Weather is always a consideration.  Wind and storm surge can beat a boat to death while tied at the dock (there are images now being posted of the devastation in marinas in that area); open water is often considered safer, but there is a limit to what any vessel can withstand... and I'm not sure Mother Nature understands limits.

Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
Many of us here in PA lost power for days. Ours went out Monday evening right after the sky started to glow. :o Some mistook the glow as lightning, but it was caused by the transformers blowing. They literally lit up the night sky. Although our power was turned on late Friday, there are still people without power. The weather has gotten a lot colder in the past couple of days, too. :( To the electric crews who came in from outside the area, THANK YOU! :)
Cindy

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 09:13:45 AM »
Been thinking of you Cindy, We had the same thing with the transformers but in an adjacent neighborhood.  Sure did look like lightening tho'.  Glad to hear all is getting better.