Author Topic: A bit of a problem with saddle  (Read 3187 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
A bit of a problem with saddle
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:47:10 AM »
On my Martin M-36 I have been getting a strange tone on my G string, it is a horrid twang.  I have put a capo on and it still makes that twang.  So I loosened the strings and pulled them out of the bridge, and I found that the saddle has a notch in it where the G string rests.  Would you say that the notch in the saddle is the cause of the problem? 

If the damaged saddle is the cause what can I do?  It is a bone saddle and I thinking if I sand it down it will alter the tone it should have.  Since I wanted to get some positive results for my efforts I rubbed the sharp edges off  a bit.  I put the string back on and now the problem sound is not a intense as it had been, but not completely removed.  So, should I sand it?
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: A bit of a problem with saddle
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:41:57 AM »
Or should I have a pro look at it?
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
I'm by no means an expert, but wouldn't sanding it involve sanding the whole top and then using a shim to get the original saddle height?

Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »

That...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:40:12 PM »
I think the OP is on the right track with the saddle. Either that or the nut may be causing the buzz.

The way I picture it, the depth of the groove in the bridge saddle isn't going to change if you sharpen the sides of the saddle. My take is that the buzz may be caused by having too broad an area the string is resting on. If you narrow that surface the string will have a more distinct edge to vibrate off of without buzzing.

So just sharpen the point of the saddle by reducing the sides, without touching the top of it and it should improve. A simple nail file will do the trick.
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:19:44 AM »

That...
Ok Steve short and to the point. LOL

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:21:56 AM »
I think the OP is on the right track with the saddle. Either that or the nut may be causing the buzz.

The way I picture it, the depth of the groove in the bridge saddle isn't going to change if you sharpen the sides of the saddle. My take is that the buzz may be caused by having too broad an area the string is resting on. If you narrow that surface the string will have a more distinct edge to vibrate off of without buzzing.

So just sharpen the point of the saddle by reducing the sides, without touching the top of it and it should improve. A simple nail file will do the trick.

Good point I am going to look into that aspect.

luckycanine

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
On my Martin M-36 I have been getting a strange tone on my G string, it is a horrid twang.  I have put a capo on and it still makes that twang.  So I loosened the strings and pulled them out of the bridge, and I found that the saddle has a notch in it where the G string rests.  Would you say that the notch in the saddle is the cause of the problem? 

If the damaged saddle is the cause what can I do?  It is a bone saddle and I thinking if I sand it down it will alter the tone it should have.  Since I wanted to get some positive results for my efforts I rubbed the sharp edges off  a bit.  I put the string back on and now the problem sound is not a intense as it had been, but not completely removed.  So, should I sand it?

Hi, just noticed this post, and decided to throw in a couple of centavos.  I had the same problem with my b string.  Thinking I might break it in trying this remedy, I first loosened it a bit.  Then simply used my index finger and thumb to move the string slightly  up an down so as to have a sanding effect on my bone saddle.  It was obvious it was in a "groove".  I rubbed it until the groove was sanded down;  retuned it, and the harshness went away.   Beat the heck out of a installing a new saddle and especially the work involved to reset the action.   Good luck if you try this.  Wally

Joseph

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:16:41 AM »
yea... I had a similar problem in my Guild F512. The G string (wound) was the problem also. I took it to a local repairman and he crowned and dressed the frets (1979 vintage guitar).. and then the "sitar" sound disappeared. The action was ok as it was, so it works great now. I hope you have solved the problem by now... but just thought I'd throw in some confusion.. ;)
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
yea... I had a similar problem in my Guild F512. The G string (wound) was the problem also. I took it to a local repairman and he crowned and dressed the frets (1979 vintage guitar).. and then the "sitar" sound disappeared. The action was ok as it was, so it works great now. I hope you have solved the problem by now... but just thought I'd throw in some confusion.. ;)
I took the guitar in soon after my original post and they crowned and dressed the frets and that to eliminated the problem.  Now it plays even better than when it was new.  I really like the M-36, but in reality my Taylors get the lions share of action from me.