Author Topic: New to Taylor, New to Forum  (Read 4283 times)

6stringmusic

New to Taylor, New to Forum
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »
I got my very first Taylor, a brand new Signature Series DMSM.  What a fantastic sounding and looking instrument.  Been dying to know how many were actually made now that they are discontinued.  Anyone know?

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: New to Taylor, New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
Hi 6stringmusic!  It's great to have you here!  Congrats on the new Taylor!   ;D  I'm sure others will chime in with answers to your question...I haven't a clue as to how many were made...  :-[
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:20:27 PM »
 Hi 6stringmusic. Welcome to our site. Congrats on the new Taylor. I'm sure some of our resident experts can give you all the particulars on your new DMSM.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:53:08 PM »
Welcome 6stringmusic, hope you enjoy your stay here with us.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

6stringmusic

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:19:29 PM »
Thanks guys.   I appreciate the warm welcome!  Yeah, I called t
Taylor and they said they would call k but did not.  Having spent a good bit on this guitar, I am trying desperately to find out how many DMSMs were made nownthatvthey are discontinued.  Inlovethis guitar in every way and am hoping that it will also be aninvestment piece perhaps some day. 

Heard rumors of a lesser expensive DM model being developed like the Doyle D. But not sure.  Either way this models special in every way.  Looks great, sounds even better. 

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »
hi 6 string music and welcome to the forum! i'm a dave matthews fan as well and i can't wait for their new album coming next week! did they (Taylor folks) say why the DMSM was discontinued? maybe because dave uses a different brand nowadays (Rockbridge) hehehe

anyway, you'll learn a lot of info here regarding taylor guitars. you'll be surprised how much info folks around here know about taylors! keep on playing!
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »
Welcome 6stringmusic! Someone should be able to help you find an answer to your question--it just might take a little time.

Nice to have you here and glad to hear you found a Taylor that really speaks to you! :)
Cindy

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:58:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Sorry no help here on the DMSM.  It is a nice guitar though.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

6stringmusic

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »
I finally got ahold of someone at Taylor.  Talked to a customer service rep first, then a sales rep.  The Customer service guy was nice and did the calculations on the DMSM Dave Matthews Signature.  He said mine was made in 2012.  The production numbers he had for 2010 was 353 and in 2011 only 28.  That makes little sense to me?  All I know is mine started production on 1/12/12 and they have been discountinued for a couple months now.

On the flip side, the sales rep told me that they are discontinued, but couldn't tell me why or when.  Not hard to figure out approx timeline.  But he said it was a production model and not a limited edition model, so there are plenty of them out there.  Even so, the numbers given to me and what they could have produced in 2012 can't be all that huge of a number.  Especially when each one has a hand signed label from Dave Matthews and Robert Taylor.  I am sure Dave did not sit there signing 2000 labels.

So in essence, I like to believe it is in fact a limited edition guitar.  Look at some of the "um, hum"...Martin guitars that did LE models with Buffett, Mayer, etc and they had 400+ made.  Am I wrong in thinking that this model will be a good one to hold onto?  The Taylor rep sounded liek that was not the case???

Thx!

desertdave

• Live from Afghanistan!!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
Yes. welcome to the clubhouse. Pull up a stool, grab a cup, and strum a few bars.... 8)
Picking 'round the world, 1 country at a time
Taylor 210 Dread, w/ 510 gotoh deltas and custom pins by colosi
Garrison AG400CE
American Fender strat (Daphne Blue)
'07 Roadhouse  Strat'
'04 Delux strat.
Hamer Monaco, sunburst flame top
Guild D-125-12 "HOG"
Kentucky KM505
Ibanez AF 75

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
I finally got ahold of someone at Taylor.  Talked to a customer service rep first, then a sales rep.  The Customer service guy was nice and did the calculations on the DMSM Dave Matthews Signature.  He said mine was made in 2012.  The production numbers he had for 2010 was 353 and in 2011 only 28.  That makes little sense to me?  All I know is mine started production on 1/12/12 and they have been discountinued for a couple months now.

On the flip side, the sales rep told me that they are discontinued, but couldn't tell me why or when.  Not hard to figure out approx timeline.  But he said it was a production model and not a limited edition model, so there are plenty of them out there.  Even so, the numbers given to me and what they could have produced in 2012 can't be all that huge of a number.  Especially when each one has a hand signed label from Dave Matthews and Robert Taylor.  I am sure Dave did not sit there signing 2000 labels.

So in essence, I like to believe it is in fact a limited edition guitar.  Look at some of the "um, hum"...Martin guitars that did LE models with Buffett, Mayer, etc and they had 400+ made.  Am I wrong in thinking that this model will be a good one to hold onto?  The Taylor rep sounded liek that was not the case???

Thx!

The folks at Taylor customer service are always GREAT!
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »
hi 6String,
good to see you here :)
WELCOME !congrats on your DMSM 8)
that's a nice Taylor you've got, especially for a first one (imho)

i guess if the 2011 production run was 28 units & if it was discontinued in july
then it could  be possible that the entire production run consisted of 400 guitars ???

last year, the 900 series returned to the 97 appointments, with the Cindy inlay, abalone fretboard extension & rosewood
binding with red purfling, so it could  be a reason why the production of the DMSM dropped off so much last year
(unless, just about everyone that wanted one had bought one) is because the appointments of the 11 914ce were quite
close to the 914c(s) that Dave has been seen playing on tour a good bit, but perhaps  if the guitar (DMSM) had an engelmann
spruce top with abalone fretboard extension, rosewood binding with red purfling & unbound rosewood headstock with the
'GRUX' & partial Cindy inlays, maybe  the DMSM may  have been even more popular ???  (perhaps not to the point of the DM3MD)

anyways, i hope that you're enjoying your DMSM, as well as hanging out here 8)

looking forward to hearing more from you -
please make yourself comfortable :D

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:49:02 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/