Author Topic: 12 fret stings  (Read 4092 times)

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
12 fret stings
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
Hi all,  just wandering what is your go to strings for your 12 fret?  How do they compare to the Elixir's from the factory.
I use Newtone PB lights on my BTO and I do light strumming and finger picking.  I prefer them to the Elixir's because they have a better tone (to my ear) and are not as stiff. 
Would like to try them on my 12 fret, but just wanted to get some suggestions on what you are using.
Thanks!
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: 12 fret stings
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
I've had my 12-fret for 10 months, and I'm still in the research phase when it comes to strings.  One caveat about your question: not all 12-frets are alike.  Mine has a redwood top and cocobolo b/s, and so it already produces a darker sound.  Elixer 80/20's work great on it.  My 814 is a different animal entirely.  DR Rares are perfect on it.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Giraku

• I play exclusively fingerstyle.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
It depends on the wood combination and your taste.
I assume that you have the regular combination (sitka/rosewood). Then I prefer Elixir Nano 80/20, although I don't have this particular 12 fret.
I once had XXXV-Parlor, which was 12 fret no cutaway (sitka/Madagascar). It was fantastic with the Elixir.
But again, it also depends on your tone preference...
‘18 Taylor K14ce Builder’s Edition (Koa / Torrefied Sitka Spruce)
'16 Taylor 514ce LTD (Granadillo / Cedar)
'16 Taylor K22e LTD (All Koa)
'15 Martin D41 Purple Martin #29 of 50 (Cocobolo / Adirondack Spruce)
Sound Clips are here.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:37:41 AM »
Hey Gary

I have tried quite a few brands on my 12-fret Taylor GA (Cedar / Macassar Ebony) but I keep coming back to Elixir 80/20 nano lights. I think that is because the wood combo is darker/warmer to begin with.

I haven't had my 12-fret Martin 0-28VS (Carpathian Spruce / Amazon Rosewood) long enough to run the circuit but it has John Pearse PB lights on it right now and sounds awesome. This is my first experience with Pearse strings. If the prevailing forum opinion is correct, they may not last very long.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »
Thanks to all who replied.  Sorry I didn't tell you the wood combinations.  It is cedar / rosewood.  I did put on the Newtone's last night and so far they sound every bit is good to my ears as my BTO which is engleman / rosewood.  The only problem which is not really that big of a deal is that these strings are round core and you can't cut them until they have been tuned, which makes them a little awkward to do on a slot head tuner.

Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

solosdad

Re: 12 fret strings
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
I have tried different strings of many manufacturers and the two I like best on my GC6 are John Pearse PB lights and I currently have Adamas 1818 PB's which to me takes the sound to a new level of balance without giving up the base growl. I can see why JT uses these on his Olson SJ!
Bob Millner
2014 Collings OOO-2H
2012 Taylor GC6
2011 Martin OM 15 Custom
2013 Eastman E10P
2012 Kenny Hill Crossover
2010 Yamaha LL16 Donated to Guitars 4 Vets

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »
EIR/Sitka 12 fret GC here.  I tried a few as well - DR Rares, D'Addario EJ16, Red (yuk!).  For this guitar, I came back to Elixir PB lights.  I like the tone and longevity.  More importantly, they solved intonation issues I was having with other strings.  I know, could have been fixed with a set up, but I didn't want to spend the money and the Elixirs worked out just fine.  Happy camper here...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato