Author Topic: Hello from Western PA  (Read 2685 times)

Bill R

Hello from Western PA
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I'm glad to see this new forum.  Many thanks to its creators.  I've been playing acoustic guitar for a long time.  In college I played at some coffee houses and folk festivals.  Nowadays I play for my own pleasure now, though occasionally I'll do an open mike at a local place in town.   I have played in worship groups for a long time and still do.  I play mostly finger style and some moderate strumming, depending on where and with whom I'm playing.  I live in a small town in western PA about an hour north of Pittsburgh.  I'm a die hard Taylor and R Taylor fan.  However, I've been around the block enough times (turning 60 in the spring) to  but appreciate everyone's opinions and personal tastes regarding guitars and music.     

One of the things I have always enjoyed about the original TGF and subsequent AGF is the friendliness and open-mindedness of the forum members.  I sincerely hope this forum will continue with that tradition.  I certainly plan to myself.

Best wishes to all,
Bill 
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hello from Western PA
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:11:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Bill! :) How long have you been playing the guitar? Did you start out learning as a kid, or did you decide to learn as an adult?

The forum's goal is to maintain a friendly and helpful atmosphere here so everyone can enjoy their stay so I hope we will be seeing more of you! Please let us know what Taylor models you've owned in the past and currently as it's always great to read about people's history with Taylor Guitars. Nice to have you here. :D
Cindy

Bill R

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:27:10 AM »
I started playing at 15 when my older sister gave me a beater guitar.  I took lessons for a year or so, but didn't enjoy them.  My playing really took off when I was in college back in the early 70's.  I've played ever since.  My first good guitar was a Gibson, don't remember the model number, but it was mahogany and spruce.  In college I got a Martin D-28 which I sold to get a Martin D12-28.  I was totally into Leo Kottke and played mostly 12-string back then.  I had a Collings OM-2 for a while, but never really bonded with it.  In 1995 I got my first Taylor, a 612c, which I gave to my son last year as a graduation from college present.  In 2002 I bought a Taylor 12-string - a custom GA mahogany sitka - that I still have.  In 2008 the style 2 R Taylors came out.  I bought one in cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce - that guitar is incredible.  In two days I'm going to my favorite music store, Wildwood Music in Ohio, to pick up another R Taylor style 2.  This one is flamed mahogany and old growth redwood.  I'm really looking forward to this new guitar.  So there you have it - my guitar history. 
Bill

Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:06 AM »
I started playing at 15 when my older sister gave me a beater guitar.  I took lessons for a year or so, but didn't enjoy them.  My playing really took off when I was in college back in the early 70's.  I've played ever since.  My first good guitar was a Gibson, don't remember the model number, but it was mahogany and spruce.  In college I got a Martin D-28 which I sold to get a Martin D12-28.  I was totally into Leo Kottke and played mostly 12-string back then.  I had a Collings OM-2 for a while, but never really bonded with it.  In 1995 I got my first Taylor, a 612c, which I gave to my son last year as a graduation from college present.  In 2002 I bought a Taylor 12-string - a custom GA mahogany sitka - that I still have.  In 2008 the style 2 R Taylors came out.  I bought one in cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce - that guitar is incredible.  In two days I'm going to my favorite music store, Wildwood Music in Ohio, to pick up another R Taylor style 2.  This one is flamed mahogany and old growth redwood.  I'm really looking forward to this new guitar.  So there you have it - my guitar history. 

Bill

Glad to have you here! You must posts pics of your new R Taylor when it comes in!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »
Hello Bill, we are glad to see you join in on the fun we are having.  I, we, look forward to hearing more from you and about the new guitar you will be receiving soon.  And of course, we need pictures.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »
hi Bill,