Author Topic: Your FLGS (Favorite Local Guitar Shop)  (Read 109966 times)

GtrgRrl

Re: Your FLGS (Favorite Local Guitar Shop)
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Portland Music Co., Portland, OR. 
They were great to deal with over the phone discussing some of the various GS Mini LTDs they had in stock and worked with me to put a deposit on a few to pick up later.  They called me back after they looked closer at and played the two blackwoods they had to describe the differences they noticed between them to me (one was a little warmer sounding, and the top visually had more character than the other).

Emerald City Guitars, Seattle. 
They're not a Taylor dealer but they have some used Taylors from time to time and always have a lot of great vintage guitars and a helpful, friendly staff.

Also, + another 1 for McCabe's.  I liked to go there when I lived in Los Angeles.

-Brian

Thanks for the kind words about Portland Music Co., Brian! 
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.”   Keith Richards

www.portlandmusiccompany.com

AlexRkstr

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2012, 03:06:40 AM »
Add Guitar Works in Evanston, IL - they have amazing Larrivees, Goodalls, and one-off locally built acoustics.
Taylor W16ce | Larrivee LV03E

texasdw

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
Two in the Houston area:

Guitar Hacienda in League City.  Excellent selection of acoustics, including particularly Taylors and Martins.  They also carry McPhersons if anybody is into that (I am!).  They are a fairly small shop though so they're not a Gibson dealer.  Also, Danny there is a mighty fine tech and will set up any instrument to your specs...whether you buy it from him or from somewhere else. 

Fuller's Vintage in Houston.  Huge selection of acoustics and electrics, including Martin, Taylor and Gibson.  What really sets them apart are the high end instruments they regularly stock.  Especially the Gibsons...like new ES335s, 355s, L5s, 175s, 165s, you get the picture.  I've dropped lots of money there.  Probably more than I should have over the years.  Fuller's doesn't really do a set-up, so if you buy something in need of that (as most Gibsons do) you will have to go somewhere else to have it done.  I have my favorites, and Danny (see above) is one.  Ron Pace in Houston is the other.  But I suppose that's a different thread.

And of course, fine folks to deal with at both shops.  Somebody's already mentioned Great Southern.  Been there too.  Nice folks, and they do a good job with a set-up, but their stock isn't generally close to GH or Fullers.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »
They were great to deal with over the phone discussing some of the various GS Mini LTDs they had in stock and worked with me to put a deposit on a few to pick up later.  They called me back after they looked closer at and played the two blackwoods they had to describe the differences they noticed between them to me (one was a little warmer sounding, and the top visually had more character than the other).

They're not a Taylor dealer but they have some used Taylors from time to time and always have a lot of great vintage guitars and a helpful, friendly staff.

Also, + another 1 for McCabe's.  I liked to go there when I lived in Los Angeles.

-Brian

I've heard really good things about Portland Music Co. If I were ever to go back into retail, that would be the type of store I'd want to work in...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Brian

• just a box of rain...
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »

-Brian

I've heard really good things about Portland Music Co. If I were ever to go back into retail, that would be the type of store I'd want to work in...

Yep it really is a fantastic place.  I only with I lived closer... although financially it's probably good that I don't!

-Brian

Drock2k1

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »
I live about 30 minutes from Sweetwater. Although they don't always have the most competitive prices, they have a crazy amount of inventory since their warehouse is the same location as their storefront. They have also price matched for me a few times. Bought my 2010 Limited GACE Hog Taylor from them and multiple other items.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:30:59 PM by Drock2k1 »

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »
My FLGS is the previously mentioned Wildwood Music in the restored Roscoe Village canal town in Coshocton, Ohio.  The shop is located in the old lockkeeper's house.  It's not exactly "local" to me as it is an 85 mile drive one way, but well worth the drive to see Marty and Don.  I have purchased three new Taylors (two BTO's) and one new Martin from them.  FWIW this little shop that is open just four days per week for a total of only 24 hours was the #1 Taylor BTO dealer for 2011.  They always have a nice selection of custom Taylors (and Martins) in stock and ready to go.  They always let me play as many guitars as I want for as long as I need to figure out what I want or don't want.  No, they don't take credit cards but they have always welcomed my personal checks.

It was kind of cool to be able to see Don & Marty performing together on stage this past weekend at the Roscoe Village Apple Butter Stirring Festival... and yes, that is a REAL event.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »
Rainbow Guitars in Tuscon, AZ ... some nice ones on their site :o
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »
here's are a few more that i've heard mentioned & if i were in their 'neck-of-the-woods',
or just passing through, i'd definitely make the effort to stop at any (& or) all of them
(listed in alphabetical order of city & state -  some duplication, as city was added)

Wildwood Guitars Louisville, CO

This is mine... although not super close. Wildwood Guitars in Louisville (just 5-10 minutes E/NE of Boulder) is one of the top 2 or 3 Taylor dealers in the US, and I have the privilege of living only about 45 minutes away (in non-rush hour traffic). I just bought my new Tas Blackwood LTD GSM from them a couple weeks ago... what a great experience. They have a small showroom, but a HUGE inventory in several storage areas and they can (and will) get anything out for you that you want to look at and play. Their website is amazing (one of the very best in the biz) with tons of great pics, specs, prices, etc. If you live in CO (Denver/Boulder metro mostly) or if you're ever wandering thru, definitely go by and see these guys.

(I guess that's an asterisk for me on Wildwod Guitars. :)  And do note the difference between Wildwood GUITARS in Louisville CO and Wildwood MUSIC in Ohio.)

As a side note, my previously FLGS was Acoustic Music Revival in downtown Old Englewood, CO (right off Hampden/285 & Broadway). They are closed now due to the recession, but for many many years they were the nicest, most knowledgeable, best stocked LGS in the Denver area. They did not carry the Taylor line, but had Alvarez/Yairi, H&D, Martin, Seagull, Lowden (for a while), and many other lesser known makers. I bought my first "real" guitar there in 1994 (huh, almost 20 years ago)... an Alvarez 5072 Jumbo spruce/hog that I still have to this day.They were a great shop, owned by Bob Laughlin with a great staff and a fantastic part time luthier (Chris). It is so sad to see a great shop like this close its doors and fade away because of the tough economy, especially after having been a Denver fixture for decades. Please DON'T add this one to the list since they're gone, but had to share about a legend of a guitar shop in CO.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:16:22 PM by dsamuel24 »
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

dcopper

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
My favorite and really ONLY place I shop is Coffey Music in Westminster, Maryland. Their Taylor selection is excellent. The customer service is unsurpassed and they offer excellent Taylor deals every day. Lots of Taylor enthusiasts always buying, selling and swapping to add to the already sweet inventory. No, I don't work there, but am there enough to be a Coffey afficionado.
davidc
2011 914ce
2012 814ce TBSS
2012 Spring LTD 814ce Cocobolo
2012 FLTD GAce Quilted Sapele
2003 NS74ce coco
T5Custom KOA
T5 Standard Bl
PRSs/Brian Moore C45P/89 Strat
Too many gizmos and amps!

rcoolz

• Its all about Jesus Christ !!
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »
CA House.In St Clairsville.Ohio,,,,They Have a full line of Taylors  and Martins...Nice people to deal with,,,,,  SEE  ROGER HOARD,,,,They have a great service dept
1995  Taylor 810.....2003.Taylor 410       1997 Martin.DR,,,,,,,2007  blueridge BR  60,,,,,,1937 Gibson mandolin   Hand made custom mandolin.  from K C uller

ds114

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
Alto Music in Wappingers Falls, NY (& Middletown, NY).

Alto in Middletown!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
Alto Music in Wappingers Falls, NY (& Middletown, NY).

Alto in Middletown!

I visited them a few times when I lived in NY - nice place to relax and play. I also enjoyed Coast Music in Danbury CT, where I bought my 2001 514e. My favorite store is still Martin Music in Memphis TN, where I bought 4 of the six Taylors I currently own....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

luckycanine

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2013, 02:50:54 PM »
Artistan Guitars and Maury's.  They are only too glad to speak personally to you, knowledgeable, and quick to return calls and emails.  I just bought a parlor from MF and am very satisfied.  I have used the latter in quite a lot of non guitar purchases such as amps, cables, and guitar accessories; has excellent sales rather frequently, very fast shipping, no tax to my state, free shipping and excellent no hassle return policy.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »
Mine is the Portland Music Co. location on NE Broadway in Portland, Oregon. They've got a great selection of Martin, Taylor and Collings. They also have Guild, Lag and Eastman for the lower price points.

The Manager there really knows her stuff. They also just hired a guy who used to work for Taylor Guitars.