Author Topic: Taylor Tuners  (Read 14903 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Taylor Tuners
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
what is the exact reason people change tuners on their guitars. i never seemed to understand the reason, other than the pat answer that gotoh 510 are better. how so? also how do you pronounce go 2 or go toe?

I never understood the hoopla either ...until I ended up with them on one guitar.  That was it ...this skeptic was sold.  For the record, I never found any fault with the Taylor Pings, never had any tuning issues, never had a single complaint about their look or function.  The Gotoh 510s are just smoother, and far more precise.  The fact the 510s have zero gear lash make tuning down to pitch, or simply getting to pitch, easier and, dare I say, pleasurable.  I am chuckling at myself for even saying that last part, but yes, turning these machines actually can put a smile on your face.  Perhaps the best testament is replacing the machines on two more guitars, simply because they are that nice.  Like i said, nothing wrong with the Taylor tuners; these are simply an upgrade, IMHO.

Edward

MAS

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
what is the exact reason people change tuners on their guitars. i never seemed to understand the reason, other than the pat answer that gotoh 510 are better. how so? also how do you pronounce go 2 or go toe?

I'm changing mine because I have one tuner that has apparently gone bad and will not turn very freely. Went with the Gotoh 510's because of all the positive things I've read. Can't wait for Christmas morning! ;D
Guitars:
Taylor GS8e
Breedlove D200 Atlas

Ukuleles:
KoAloha Pineapple Soprano (All Koa)
KoAloha Super Concert

Terry

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 11:35:12 PM »
Taylor tuners have always worked well for me, although the R. Taylor tuners are pretty nice.
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

forhim

• With All Our Might
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 01:51:04 AM »
True that many are pleased with the Taylor (ping)  tuners, but IMHO there are higher quality products out there...I've found the difference of Gotoh 510s to be remarkable.  For the money, these tuners should, again IMHO, be included on all limiters and, perhaps all 5xx or 6xx and up Taylors.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 11:59:35 PM »
Taylor tuners have always worked well for me, although the R. Taylor tuners are pretty nice.
Terry
the tuners on R Taylor tuners with solid (non-slotted) headstocks are Gotoh 510 Zs :)
http://www.rtaylorguitars.com/pdf/priceMenu2008.pdf

hmm... that would be another good reason to 'justify' a new guitar ???
new strings & new tuners ;)[/font]
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/