Author Topic: Two thoughts about this forum  (Read 11396 times)

cotten

Re: Two thoughts about this forum
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
...I was made aware of the other forum just being started...but it, like AGF, had many sub-forums with different guitar brands.  It was never my intention to compete with the AGF...as it is still one of THE BEST places for all things guitars.  I really do respect what JR has created over there.  (This forum was not created by myself out of spite for AGF or JR, but merely to create an alternative since the Taylor sub-forum is going to be deleted/merged.)...
I think that's understood over on the AGF, and much appreciated. Though I reach first for my still new McKnight these days, my two Taylors still see lots of playing time! 

It's great that you have Brian already here. I fondly remember when "Uncle Bob" was a regular presence over on the original Taylor Guitar Forum, the one that became the Acoustic Guitar Forum when we were no longer allowed to use that name. It makes a lot of sense to have "company" people participate in the discussions with their fan clubs, and I hope that continues even after the official forum is up and running. As much as I look forward to the official forum - something of a nearly real-time Wood and Steel - it will be good to have a place like this (and the AGF) where people are free to discuss things without first having to think about how something might be received by the Marketing Department. (I don't mean that in a negative way; I understand that Taylor and other great companies have to do their best to maintain their hard earned image.)

I really don't have much time to frequent other forums, but I wish this one only the very best, along with the upcoming official forum. Talking Taylors is good, almost as good as playing 'em!  Now if you'll excuse me, my 914 and I have a date tonight.

John Cotten   

1996 612c Cotten
2000 914c
2011 AGF Award McKnight OM
Soli Deo Gloria

Iplay2

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »
...I was made aware of the other forum just being started...but it, like AGF, had many sub-forums with different guitar brands.  It was never my intention to compete with the AGF...as it is still one of THE BEST places for all things guitars.  I really do respect what JR has created over there.  (This forum was not created by myself out of spite for AGF or JR, but merely to create an alternative since the Taylor sub-forum is going to be deleted/merged.)...
I think that's understood over on the AGF, and much appreciated. Though I reach first for my still new McKnight these days, my two Taylors still see lots of playing time! 

It's great that you have Brian already here. I fondly remember when "Uncle Bob" was a regular presence over on the original Taylor Guitar Forum, the one that became the Acoustic Guitar Forum when we were no longer allowed to use that name. It makes a lot of sense to have "company" people participate in the discussions with their fan clubs, and I hope that continues even after the official forum is up and running. As much as I look forward to the official forum - something of a nearly real-time Wood and Steel - it will be good to have a place like this (and the AGF) where people are free to discuss things without first having to think about how something might be received by the Marketing Department. (I don't mean that in a negative way; I understand that Taylor and other great companies have to do their best to maintain their hard earned image.)

I really don't have much time to frequent other forums, but I wish this one only the very best, along with the upcoming official forum. Talking Taylors is good, almost as good as playing 'em!  Now if you'll excuse me, my 914 and I have a date tonight.

John Cotten   

1996 612c Cotten
2000 914c
2011 AGF Award McKnight OM

Good to see you Cotten.  I have enjoyed your years and years of wonderful posts.  I look forward more of your knowledge and insight in future.

mcookoc

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »
i think taylor only is the way to go plus it will stay in taylor guitars good graces.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
i believe that there is enough diversity in just one brand
that it may not be necessary to expand into any others

there are some many areas that can be explored within this one particular brand &
i don't believe that the full potential was utilized at any other forum, thus far -
i believe it can happen here & it being an independent '3rd party' of enthusiasts,
if something is good, bad or indifferent, we'll run a 20 page thread in a heartbeat ;)

Josh,
i think as the forum settles in, gains a little traction & begins to
put down some roots, it will grow in the direction that it needs to

you'll see it & at that point, i am confident that you will do what's best for this place.
some may not disagree (can't please everyone), but i know what you decide will be 'right'

you go BOY :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:43:44 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »
i think as the forum settles in, gains a little traction & begins to
put down some roots, it will grow in the direction that it needs to

+1 ... I think the important thing right now is Taylor-centric because that is where the need/void is currently ... go slow, keep it simple ... the seed has been planted and the "trunk and branches" will not (need not) come overnight ... oak trees grow slow but if the conditions are right, they hang around for a long time and provide many benefits ...
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »
I definitely agree on keeping it Taylor-specific!!  I appreciate all guitars but I only play one brand and that is Taylor!!  I come from a bluegrass background and I am so sick of the "If it ain't Martin, it ain't bluegrass mindset!!"  It's very refreshing to come to my own little neighborhood and not listen to trash-talk about my choice of guitars!! 
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »
I also agree with keeping this a Taylor-specific forum, like the other brand-specific forums for Martin, Guild, Larrivee, etc.   AGF is good for general guitar information and independent luthier builds,  but if you're looking for just one brand it's cumbersome to have to search for information.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
I also know that "Martin Guitars" also have an "unofficial" forum, that is HUGE...and to my knowledge it's just for Martin guitars.  I would kind of like to see this forum be the Martin equivalent...
The UMGF is not just for Martins, although Martins are the focus. The folks there talk quite a bit about Gibsons and other acoustic brands (particularly vintage guitars), as well as electrics. There's no limitations; Taylors are certainly mentioned!

There's no reason why this forum could not also encourage discussion of all guitars, despite the focus on Taylors.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Jeremy

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »
Maybe have an Other Brands sub-forum and maintain the Taylor focus. The Taylor-centric discussion is why I'm here.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
I understand that the purpose of this thread was not to suggest that this forum abandon its brand specific format but would like to point out that by being a Taylor-only forum, it is presently unique.

DMBfan41

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »
My two thoughts about this forum:

1. A place to talk all thing specific to Taylor guitars.  If it should digress in opening up discussion to other makes and topics altogether, so be it, so long as the meat and potatoes of the material is Taylor oriented.  After all, that's why I'm here.  If I wanted information on Martin and strats, I'd view and take part elsewhere, which I do.

2.  I'm glad the AGF (acousticguitarforum.com) decided not to host a Taylor-oriented forum.  That way, I don't have to sort through coal to find the information diamond.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

Terry

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »
  I'm glad the AGF (acousticguitarforum.com) decided not to host a Taylor-oriented forum.  That way, I don't have to sort through coal to find the information diamond.
  :) :) :) :)
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

muscmp

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
i don't know.  i'm a little ambivalent.  will this forum really need to be that specific?  will there be questions such as, did taylor ever make a maple bridge?   or will it typically resort to the same ad infinitum questions asked on the AGF, UMGF, Guitars Music and life, and various other fora, such as:  does my guitar really open up?  or, does the tonerite/prime vibe really work?  or, do brass bridge pins really give my guitar more resonance?  or, what is the greatest guitar in the world for under $100?  and, no the answer is not an estaban.  Ha!

i don't know the answer.  i'm just throwing out the questions.

play music!

e8n

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »
Actually I think AGF had it right before they dropped the Taylor section.  A general section for all things playing and guitar and a Taylor specific for for all things Taylor.  It allows the best of both worlds. 

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
My $0.02...

1.  My primary acoustic interest is branded with the Taylor Guitars logo.  I still enjoy playing other builders when in the shops, but the guys in El Cajon consistently get my cash.  For that reason, I enjoy reading about them and their guitars whenever I can.  This place, along with the Taylor website, is the place to do that.

2.  Electrics and other acoustics can be found at The Gear Page, The Hamer forum, The Fender Forum, The Les Paul Forum, The UMGF, etc...

3.  There really is nothing else tying me to the old place.  Hence, I've deleted it from the favorites.  Buh-bye now...

The UTGF will get bigger and busier as the months and years move on.  The best way to grow member ship is to do what you're doing right now - Provide a friendly, relaxed, informative website with good information and good people.  If you've built it right (and I think you have), they will come...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato