Author Topic: Your first guitar: What was it and do you still have it?  (Read 29636 times)

Terry

Your first guitar: What was it and do you still have it?
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »
New member "Steve-wv"has a new Taylor, his first ever guitar. (Be sure to see his thread. It's a beauty)  What was your first guitar and do you still have it? 
Mine was a Harmony classical my brother got me for my 14th birthday in 1968.  Foolishly I sold it to a friend at college for $30 :-\  I'm still looking for one exactly like it.  Tell us about your "first".
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
Re: Your first guitar: What was it and do you still have it?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »
Good question Terry.  I had not thought about my first guitar since whenever until your post.  As matter of fact, I had forgotten I even had one that far back.  For Christmas in 1966 I received an electric Silvertone with the amplifier in the case.  The guitar was black with a metalflake finish if I remember correctly.  I never learned how to play it, but my dad picked it up a little.  I have no idea as to where that guitar went.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
an all-laminate Jay Turser 'thin-line' dreadnought CE with passive electronics &
Strat-style volume/tone knobs on the upper bass bout side, next to the neck heel -
got it in Fall of 01 & it's still hanging out here ... i really should 'dust it off' a bit :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

DMBfan41

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
Johnson black thinbody A/E bought on ebay.

It only exists in my nightmares now.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

Ed422

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
I have a Harmony arch top tenor that I transferred the uke chords my dad taught me to.  He got it in the late 60s.  It "became" mine in the early 70s.  I still have my Guild Starfire III that I bought in 75.

Ed

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:02:03 AM »
My first guitar was a cheap acoustic that I had for years. The I got a Harmony hollow body electric (I think). Mine was pretty low-end. It was red with white binding and I played it through a Sears Silvertone amp, probably a late 60's vintage - all tubes. I don't have either guitar or the amp, but I wish I still had the Harmony and the amp. Next I got the SG custom that is in my signature, and when I graduated from college my mom bought me the 1980 Guild D-50 that I still have and love. I bought the Epi last January and my latest acquisition is my new Taylor 814ce.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:56 AM »
My first was a Seagull S6 cedar-topped dread.  It was a great guitar.  I sold it 3 years ago b/c I grew to dislike the neck (too chunky), but can't deny that it sounded great. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:57:03 AM »
It had an incredibly high action and was nearly impossible to play.

That was the same problem I had with my first acoustic...

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Paul

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 02:09:41 AM »
Yamaha FG730s I bought over 2 years ago, now still the only one I own. Still as mint as when it left the shop. What? You mean I should play it?  ;)

dmariolan

• Keep Playing
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:02:52 AM »
I don't know if this counts, but my 'first' guitar was the guitar my Dad gave when I was 10 years old (it was 1984). It wasn't exclusively for me since I have to share it with my brothers (5 of us .. hehehe). It was a cheap laminate nylon strings acoustic guitar.

I don't know what happen with the guitar. I think it was broken at one point  :(
2010 Taylor 814ce

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:58:13 AM »
My first guitar was a nylon strung classical type, that I bought for £5 (a weeks wages) in 1971; I was 16. The label inside says CBS. I tried to learn on it, but found it so hard trying to form chords that I gave up after a few weeks.

I still have it.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

Ed422

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:08:32 AM »
Heh..  as I think about it, I still have parts of the violin my brother and I took lessons on back in elementary school.  It sat unattended on a shelf and then the basement of my dads house for years and the hide glue failed when I finally took a look at it.  I *may* have had one of those Emenee plastic guitars before the violin.

Wow..  it is a wonder I can remember back that far.

Ed

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
I actually started on a uke that my grandfather bought for me.
Then one day my dad brought a used guitar home from a fellow he worked a with... a Harmony Monterey that looked just like this one:

One time I got so frustrated playing it I punched it and cracked the top.  That was my guitar until college when I bought an Ovation Celebrity.

Sold the Harmony at a yard sale many years after I got the Ovation
Sold the Ovation a few years after I bought my first Taylor (814ce)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:52:05 AM by cjd-player »
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 10:05:02 AM »
It was a 1959 Silvertone that my parents gave me for Christmas that year. I hung on to that guitar for about 15 years (most of which it spent buried i the bottom of my closet) but it is now gone. I remember that it had kind of a cheesy sunburst and white painted binding. It had an incredibly high action and was nearly impossible to play.

That sounds exactly like my first guitar ... it also has a white plastic pickguard ... nearly indestructable it is ... I found this guitar last week in a storage shed at my old home place ... no strings, no tuners but everything else is intact ...  :)
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

InsideOut

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
I remember playing an acoustic guitar when I was somewhere between 3 and 5.  I don't know who's it was, but it was in my brother's room.  I sat on his bed making up some song about cowboys and strumming the E string.  Before long my mom came running because I was screaming in fear.  I developed a blister on my thumb.  It was getting sore and when I looked at the blister, I was terrified.  I had never had a blister before and I didn't know what it was.  My mom explained it to me and I eventually calmed down.  By the time my blister healed, the guitar was gone.  When I was in grade school, my grandparents gave me a little acoustic steel string for Christmas.  It wasn't playable, so I never really got anything out of it.  I finally bought myself a Series 10 Strat copy when I was 17.  That was my first playable guitar that I really learned something on. 

About three years ago, I was visiting my mom and she pulled out the little steel string my grandparents had given me.  It was still unplayable so I chucked it in the dumpster.  She was horrified, but I have learned to let go of useless things.  My memory of the guitar is still there.  I don't need to carry it with me for the rest of my life.  Though I didn't learn to play that guitar, it did teach me a valuable lesson.  Don't buy a guitar if it isn't a good one!  Anytime I have someone ask me what guitar to buy for their children, I try to encourage them to get one from a real music store.  I have a $75 1/2 size nylon string guitar that plays better than more expensive guitars, so I am not saying you have to spend a lot of money.  Just make sure someone can help you find one that actually works.  I always offer to go with the parents and help them pick something nice.
I have enough, but can always make room for more.