Author Topic: What does your spouse/partner think of your playing/buying guitars?  (Read 15599 times)

MDS08

Re: What does your spouse/partner think of your playing/buying guitars?
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 07:31:06 AM »
My wife supports my playing a 100% in fact she bought me a 2010 910 last year. After getting and playing my 910 everything sounded aweful and was harder to play, so I sold all my other guitars because they just were not getting played. Once you play a Taylor there is no going back to a cheaper guitar. She is getting me a GS Mini soon. I really want one and I wish they would make one in a 12 string.
2010 910
2013 D18

Mrak

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »
Hi everyone,
I've read this forum for a long time now and never posted. But this topic is close to me also and a constant source of discontent. I have 2 taylors; a 1997 310 GA and a 2009 714 LTD (Sitka/Madagascar). Both are sweet sounding instruments and I'm not really that bad a player I think. However, my wife is also very unsupportive, doesn't like hearing me playing, says it's unsocial (because I'm not talking!) and as with Saxacat's wife, goes off to another room when I do play or suddenly reminds me of chores I should be doing. I haven't heard an encouraging word regarding my music in 27 years.
Fortunately we have separate bank accounts as well as a joint one, so if i want to buy another guitar, I can. She wouldn't know the difference as long as Taylor was written on the headstock and I kept the extra case out of sight. So I am lucky that she doesn't tell me what I can spend my money on. She is very fair with that.

But I really envy players who have partners who encourage them and who even join in. You are very  fortunate if that's you. Treasure it.
 I've recently started accompanying and singing with a female friend who is complimentary about my guitar playing, and to be honest, it is a lovely feeling for a change. Another player (better than me) has also joined us and it's like I've suddenly been given oxygen. I can play with them and not have to just pick quietly in a corner of the room. I can actually sing in front of them without that choking feeling. I'm gradually rebuilding confidence due to their positive feedback.  When we soon have our first small party gig you can guess who I won't be inviting. This is only one part of my life and I've learned to live with it, but it has been an astonishing revelation to me to read on this thread that some players have supportive partners.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »
hi Mrak,
good to see you here :)
WELCOME !i'm glad that you've found a couple of people that you're comfortable
performing & playing with ... good luck on the party gig (sounds like fun :D)

i used to have the 'big brother' to your 09 Spring 714ceLTD madagascar (the 716ceLTD) -
the CV bracing, the backstrap, understated aesthetics & the tone were incredible 8)

i'm a bit (ok, a lot) curious about your other guitar, the 97 310 GA -
i'm trying to figure out exactly which model it is, as the 300 series started in 98 & the 310 was a DN shape ???

the 97 414 (GA) models had honduras mahogany back & sides (rather than ovangkol), black binding
(rather than white), all satin finish (rather than a gloss top) & a pinless (rather than pin) bridge -
i'm wondering if what you have could possibly be a 98 314, rather than a 97

looking forward to hearing more from you

rather than having a 'break' in this thread, i would like
to move/merge all watch-related posts to this thread
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=1143.0

i would like the watch discussion to keep going also (very cool 8) )
but i'd like to keep this thread intact as well ... thanks everyone :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Mrak

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »
Hi Michaelw, you're absolutely right and I've typed in the wrong details. Yes, it's a 98 314 GA (sitka/sapelle) with satin side/back  finish and no cutaway. That will teach me to rely on my memory! It has a beautiful, sonorous tone. I've had a bone saddle and nut put on, new frets, neck re shimmed and re set and it is fantastic to play. I was going to sell it, but it was my first good guitar and I'm keeping it forever now.
Maddie (my 714) has a deeper, darker, richer tone and I play her more often. But I love them both. It's a pity my wife would like to see them both recycled into matchsticks!!!
Meanwhile I'll plug away with my friends to get our timing, harmonics and performance right for our tiny little first gig. We'll make mistakes, sometimes get it so right that it tingles, have a few laughs and some glasses of red. That's the rewards of music.

pieterh

• English living by the sea in Sweden
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 03:01:19 AM »
My wife not only understands and supports my love of guitars, she has even
contributed:) When I turned 40 she presented me with a card: inside were the names of friends an family who contributed to my next guitar purchase. She had saved 50% and everyone else happened to make up the rest of the cost of my Taylor 414ce.

What's more, she's a professionally trained singer with music degree and teacher qualification so music is pretty much a shared interest in the house. We met (I'd already seen her across the floor of the call centre where we worked 17 years ago) when taking a coffee break and I asked her about the music score that was her homework!

Acquiring guitars is not an issue in the family - providing we can afford them (ie no credit). She is so tired of hearing of my next guitar want (D- or HD28) that when I got paid a sizeable sum for a series of rehearsals and gigs she said to go and get one. In the end though I bought a pair of JBL 515xt's and have 2 Neumann KMS104 mics on order for our live shows. If the gig/rehearsal happens again then a new guitat day is not too far off.

In other words, the two best things in my life are guitars and my family, and it is great that she is an important part of both:)
Taylor 414CE
plus some others

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2012, 12:17:21 PM »
I'm not married but have a long-time steady lady with whom I don't reside. She enjoys my playing and I believe accepts my GAS. I tell her that although I may lose money on individual transactions, I make up for it in volume....

Drock2k1

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
The Mrs has never gotten on to me about my buying, selling, trading guitar gear. Probably because I keep a small stable and really don't ask for much anything else. She is the one that pushed me to get a built to order Taylor after seeing me burn through 4 or 5 in 2 years.