Author Topic: What does your spouse/partner think of your playing/buying guitars?  (Read 15598 times)

awdxtc

Re: What does your spouse/partner think of your playing/buying guitars?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 01:28:05 PM »
My wife is super supportive of my playing. I will echo several other members and say that it helps for us both to be supportive of each other's hobbies. My wife is an equestrian fan and we travel to horse shows with her horse at least one weekend a month.

Because I am supportive it helps her to be supportive of my hobby and passion. So much so that she has purchased a GS mini for me and will be giving it to me on our 1st anniversary which is Monday. We travel a lot together doing short term mission work and she is so excited that I have a guitar to bring along now! I'm pretty sure God knew what He was doing when He brought us together ;)

Now this is what life and relationships are all about, two people feeding off each other to form one strong unity.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »
My husband does whatever he can to help me deal with my Acoustic Acquisition Disease.  He's very supportive, not just of my interest in guitar, but all the other instruments as well.  His latest act of kindness and support was a surprise gift of a brand new GS Mini.  He had boughten me a Baby Taylor in 2000, but thought I needed the most current version of the Taylor Travel Guitar.  He suprised me with it last Easter.  He loves to sit and listen to me play, whether it is guitar, dulcimer, uke, or whatever.  I knew he was the right one for me, when we met in 1984, but didn't realize at the time just how great he'd be.  He's my best friend.  :-*

He also built me a custom, solid oak cabinet to house all my instruments.  It's beautiful!  Then, he built me a wood cabinet for the closet in the motorhome to safely transport instruments to festivals.  It's awesome and so is he.  :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:52:42 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Tayzalor

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
My husband does whatever he can to help me deal with my Acoustic Acquisition Disease.  He's very supportive, not just of my interest in guitar, but all the other instruments as well.  His latest act of kindness and support was a surprise gift of a brand new GS Mini.  He had boughten me a Baby Taylor in 2000, but thought I needed the most current version of the Taylor Travel Guitar.  He suprised me with it last Easter.  He loves to sit and listen to me play, whether it is guitar, dulcimer, uke, or whatever.  I knew he was the right one for me, when we met in 1984, but didn't realize at the time just how great he'd be.  He's my best friend.  :-*

He also built me a custom, solid oak cabinet to house all my instruments.  It's beautiful!  Then, he built me a wood cabinet for the closet in the motorhome to safely transport instruments to festivals.  It's awesome and so is he.  :D
Wow! I love the idea of a custom cabinet for my instruments.  I'm not so sure DH would like any more additions to the honey-do list, though.
Jeanette

2011 712ce
2012 GS Mini - Mahogany

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 08:52:53 PM »

thank you for sharing this :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

gitgal

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 08:45:25 AM »
My husband is supportive of all my interests over the 24 years we've been married.  He enjoys golf and TV.  I enjoy sewing and music. I just purchased an amp.  Last night, as I was practicing guitar, my husband came in the room and asked me what that "thing" was and how "it" worked.  I turned it on and handed him my daughter's Fender A/E that was plugged into it.  He sat on the sofa and goofed off with it for a while.  I think he subconsciously wants to take up guitar playing.  He's picked up one of my guitars more than once and tried to play.

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
My wife has bought most of my guitars.

:)

Not much more I can say about that.

:) :) :) :) :)
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

basalt beach

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
Wow!...Five weeks ago, the answer would be different than it is today...the better half was supportive but did not understand why a person may want more than 1 or 2 guitars (total).  At the time, I wanted put the GC 8 up for sale, to purchase another guitar, which ended up to be a Bourgeois OO from Redwood Acoustic which arrived while I still had the GC 8 for sale here.  Then when I received the Bourgeois OO, we A/B'd the two. We first put new EJ's16 on the GC 8 to make a fair comparison.  We both preferred the OO, but the better half still liked the GC 8 which sounded great with the new strings, and wanted to keep it.    I said we really need to let one go, so then I heard "I want to play guitar too".   Well, the GC 8 has a new owner like I thought it would, but the owner is in house.   Now, the better half has a half dozen chords learned and is playing "Still the Same" (easy chord version), and reading one hard cover book on guitar and one iPad book on guitar theory.    Also, I received 50% of the cost of the Bourgeois OO as a gift. 

Now, the better half who used to say they all sound good but could tell no real difference in sound between the guitars, now describes the differences between my Taylor 810 Walnut/Cedar, GC 8 (their GC 8), Northwood OOO and Bourgeois, & the Collings C-10 Deluxe and comments on the sound differences qualities and even string suggestions. 

Life is good, I am blessed....and I gotta feeling Christmas & Birthdays will be a lot more interesting! Whoa!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:39:15 AM by basalt beach »
Bourgeois | Northwood| Rainsong OM | Voyage Air OM-2

the tragedy in life is not what you suffer, the tragedy in life is what you miss!

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2012, 01:11:37 AM »
Wow!...Five weeks ago, the answer would be different than it is today...the better half was supportive but did understand why a person may want more than 1 or 2 guitars (total).  At the time, I wanted put the GC 8 up for sale, to purchase another guitar, which ended up to be a Bourgeois OO from Redwood Acoustic which arrived while I still had the GC 8 for sale here.  Then when I received the Bourgeois OO, we A/B'd the two. We first put new EJ's16 on the GC 8 to make a fair comparison.  We both preferred the OO, but the better half still liked the GC 8 which sounded great with the new strings, and wanted to keep it.    I said we really need to let one go, so then I heard "I want to play guitar too".   Well, the GC 8 has a new owner like I thought it would, but the owner is in house.   Now, the better half has a half dozen chords learned and is playing "Still the Same" (easy chord version), and reading one hard cover book on guitar and one iPad book on guitar theory.    Also, I received 50% of the cost of the Bourgeois OO as a gift. 

Now, the better half who used to say they all sound good but could tell no real difference in sound between the guitars, now describes the differences between my Taylor 810 Walnut/Cedar, GC 8 (their GC 8), Northwood OOO and Bourgeois, & the Collings C-10 Deluxe and comments on the sound differences qualities and even string suggestions. 

Life is good, I am blessed....and I gotta feeling Christmas & Birthdays will be a lot more interesting! Whoa!
nice :)
thanks for sharing this :D
very cool 8)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
Wow!...Five weeks ago, the answer would be different than it is today...the better half was supportive but did not understand why a person may want more than 1 or 2 guitars (total).  At the time, I wanted put the GC 8 up for sale, to purchase another guitar, which ended up to be a Bourgeois OO from Redwood Acoustic which arrived while I still had the GC 8 for sale here.  Then when I received the Bourgeois OO, we A/B'd the two. We first put new EJ's16 on the GC 8 to make a fair comparison.  We both preferred the OO, but the better half still liked the GC 8 which sounded great with the new strings, and wanted to keep it.    I said we really need to let one go, so then I heard "I want to play guitar too".   Well, the GC 8 has a new owner like I thought it would, but the owner is in house.   Now, the better half has a half dozen chords learned and is playing "Still the Same" (easy chord version), and reading one hard cover book on guitar and one iPad book on guitar theory.    Also, I received 50% of the cost of the Bourgeois OO as a gift. 

Oh what I would give to be in your situation. That is really special!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

zaskar1

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
all

my wife is not very supportive as she thinks i am not a very good guitar player.
thats ok, as she is probably correct.
i was taking this classical guitar class at the local JC, and made some comments like, some of the kids
in the class are accomplished musicians and are much better guitarists than me.
she enthusiastically agreed with me.

however, i am constantly trying to improve, so perhaps one day she will appreciate my capabilities.

also, she thinks aquiring new guitars is a waste of time and resources.
she told me, you have a few guitars, why do you need more? you only can play one at a time.

being the stubborn old guy that i am, i really dont listen to her, but retreat to my little space,
and play my guitars!

z

2012 Taylor 814ce
very old Goya G-10
Fender Telecaster

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
My wife is an accomplished pianist so she understands the love of music ... however, she definitely does not understand my needing more than one guitar and several other instruments ... when we were first married, we lived in a small appartment ... there really wasn't much room for my musical stuff so she "encouraged" me to sell off all but one acoustic guitar ... all my electric guitars, amps, pedals got sold off ... flash forward to the last 10 years or so, I have come back into music strongly, re-acquired some quality instruments, amps and pedals, learned some other instruments I had always wanted to ... at most these days, she tolerates my musical purchases and we don't have many "discussions" about them like we used to ...  I don't have any other expensive hobbies and it helps when she buys 2 or 3 expensive keyboards because those "beasts" cost as much as 2+ high-end acoustics ... 8)
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

bigb

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:15 PM »
Great stories!

I'd say my wife is, patient.
As a noodler with little discipline and little talent, I can tend to run over the same things too often which can be tiresome for her. Especially when I'm competing with the TV.
She is very encouraging though when I've put something new together and will then suggest I start recording my "songs".

On the buying front, I've been a very infrequent buyer. Just a mim strat in '02, a 314 in '04, and my BTO last year. She's always been very open when I talk about new guitars, even if I don't pull the trigger much (maybe that's why?). I always explain my rationale but I know her lack of resistance on a new purchasing (been recently considering a change on the electric) will probably translate to another purchase by and for her, which is fair enough. :)

e8n

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2012, 07:43:18 AM »
My wife also plays (more electric than acoustic).  For our 25th last year I offered to get her a big ring or a custom Taylor.  She chose the Taylor and couldn't be happier.  The only place we have differences is I'm willing to move guitars on and get something else.  She is emotionally attached to every guitar she owns.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »
My wife's cool with it but, to be honest, I haven't really put it to the test lately. I simply don't play guitar too much anymore. A little here, a little there, but maybe only an hour or two a month at this point, and that's being generous.

Now, if this question had to do with photography and photo gear, well, that'd be a completely different story...

;D
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

dcarey

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »
Well, let's see...she bought me a Lowden O12, a Taylor XXX-RS, and a Taylor K12.  I guess she likes my playing, but I really don't have to worry about buying.

I am truly blessed! She's a Keeper!

Dan
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.