Author Topic: What does your spouse/partner think of your playing/buying guitars?  (Read 15600 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
I'm a very lucky guy for a lot of reasons.  One of them is that I have a wife who encouraged me to start playing the guitar about three years ago, and is always very supportive when I buy a new one.  You can't ask for more than that spouse-guitarwise.

So, it got me wondering what the situation is for other folks.  I've been on other forums where people have lamented having a spouse who resents every second they spend playing the guitar, and in no way supports a new purchase.  What's your situation?  How does your spouse or partner feel about your playing?  And assuming you can afford to buy a new guitar, how does he or she feel about money going in that direction?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: What does your spouse/partner think of your playing/buying guitars?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »
My lovely wife has been extremely supportive of my experimenting with different brands, shapes and sizes in my quest for "keeper" guitars. I owned one guitar when I met her in '96, and I've bought and sold many since that time. Her "pain" points involve me letting go of something to which she's become emotionally attached, or losing a bit of money on a sale or trade-in. Other than that, she enthusiastically shares my passion for the "hunt". I do love this lady more than all my other "ladies" put together!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
My loving wife is very supportive of me.  Her only stipulation is that I cannot have more than two guitars at one time.  She really doesn't care about the money she just doesn't want guitars all over the house.  She doesn't mind if I trade or sell them just don't have more than two.  She has let me make one of the extra bed rooms as my music room.  Which has my guitars (only have one now since I have a 12 fret Taylor on order)  and a flat screen to watch golf.  I really can't ask for more than that from her.  She has a corner in our keeping room for her sewing and I don't care what she spends on that, so I guess we have found a happy medium for our hobbies.  Life is good!
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »
 Since the divorce, she's had nothing to complain about.  ;D
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
My DH is very supportive and doesn't mind my guitar habit as he knows I am the one to take my time and weigh things before I buy one.

He does quiz me from time to time...."what's in that bag", "when did you get that".....however,............he has a very expensive fly-fishing habit so that helps alot...... ;D

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »
My wife, a classically trained pianist, doesn't mind my playing but doesn't understand why I need more than 1 guitar (I currently have 4 and will concede that's probably one more than I need).  Lucky for her, I'm cheap and a mediocre player so I don't spend much on the guitars I have bought.  ;)
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:52:33 PM »
My wife thinks I'm crazy. She has never really supported my playing, in fact she's come right out and said it's a waste of time. She is a workaholic. Spends little to no time relaxing or just having fun.

That's alright. My youngest daughter is quite the singer. She and I love making music together.

My wife has not commented much on my guitar buying and selling. She knows better. Otherwise there would be a whole lotta shoes and such headed out the door. 
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »
I fired mine, no idea what she thought about my hobby and that's enough reason for me, :)

Von Beerhofen

ewalling

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »
My wife thoroughy approves of my playing. She's a serious amateur dancer with a troupe herself, so things artistic tend to get a thumbs up from her. When I have a bouts of restless flipping, she has sometimes wondered why I can't be satisfied with what I've got, and it's a good question! I do try to keep things fairly grounded, though, by only bringing one in if one goes out. I find that if I go beyond 6, I have instruments that hardly get played, and I don't like that scenario.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:05 AM »
Pretty sure I snagged this pretty blonde BECAUSE of the guitar playing.  We were both in high school (over 4 decades ago).  I had long hair, played in a band, and rode a motorcycle... I have been known to say she dated me just to tick off her parents (no need to edit - I cleaned that up myself  ;)).

I had an ES-335 when we met, still have that guitar, still have the same girl.  When I quit playing in bands and got a "real job" all those years ago, she remained my audience of one.  She says she loves to hear me sing and play, and I like to play for her.  Truth be told, she has been the one to suggest guitar shopping over the years.  If I buy a guitar, it's because I like it, so I don't feel the need to swap them out frequently.  She encouraged me to get both of the Taylors I bought this year.

We know what makes each other happy.  Even though we're retired, we are working this summer because she thinks we should be contributing members of society once in a while.  So, I'm driving a whale watch boat as a "fun summer job" and spend my off time playing my GSmini on our boat.  What's not to like?   :)

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:53:21 AM »
My wife is supportive of the playing, though certainly wants me to spend more time with her (ok, were newlyweds, less than a year still)..
She appreciates the buying and collecting.. to a point.. I admit to having way more than "necessary".. Ive been doing that for 30 years though..

And I do try to use the method mentioned below.. if one comes in, one will usuaully have to go out at this point..
We just agreed to remove the actual bed from our guest bedroom, and utilize the space to share it for both my guitars, and her photography stuff.. Seemed a great idea, as we have guests in there 1% of the time, and can easily get an inflatable air mattress for when we do!

Judson H

• My Youtube music
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
My spouse is a jewel!  She encourages me to get whatever I want within the limits of our household budget.  I'm much more of a penny pincher than she is with this issue.

2012 Taylor GA3
2012 Martin D-18
2004 Seagull Artist Mosaic QII
2001 Simon & Patrick Cedar Folk
1967 Silvertone Sovereign 1220 Jumbo (my high school guitar)
Fishman Loudbox Mini and Shure SM58

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »
My wife & I have a clear understanding.  I love acoustic guitars, and she loves Walt Disney World in Florida.  Every time I get a new guitar, she gets to plan another trip to the mouse house.  Now, to be honest, I'm getting the short end of the financial stick with this arrangement as it costs a whole lot more for a week on site for the family at WDW than it does for a decent BTO.  However, she loves it, as do the kids, so it's all worth it.

Oh yeah - Sometimes she lets me come along too!
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

BlackCats

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »
My wife is to blame. She handed me her guitar and her first lesson from 20 years ago. A few months later I purchased my 210. Two years later I’m still having fun. She never complains (unlike the cats!) about my playing and always offers encouragement. With her blessing, my retirement gift to myself will be a GA.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »
My wife is totally unsupportive. She thinks buying guitars is a waste of money. If I try and play when she is in the house there is lots of huffing, puffing, sighing, tutting and door slamming; so I don't play when she is around.

Regardless of her opinion, I enjoy it and have no intention of stopping.

Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.