Author Topic: Hi from Indiana  (Read 3777 times)

KevinIndiana

Hi from Indiana
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
Hi all. Just joined forum. Just bought my wife a 214ce for her birthday last month. Now mine is coming up and she's probably going to get me an 814ce. And we thought we were splurging with the 214ce! Hah! I feel a little guilty getting that much more expensive a guitar than I gave to her, but we both agree it sounds so awesome and I've done without a good guitar for way too long (hate to mention how many decades, but it's a lot!). And she's obviously going to play it too. I have a feeling we'll upgrade hers someday as well.

It was funny. When we were at the guitar store, the salesman was demoing and talking with us, and he admitted up front that while Taylors were fine guitars, he was more of a Martin and Gibson guy himself. We were there several hours, and we were open minded about other brands, especially Martin. Toward the end we were kinda narrowing it down to the 814ce and the Martin version, GPCPA1 I think it was. Same tag price. Very similar. But both my wife and I started realizing that we slightly preferred the sound of the Taylor. (I do like the built in tuner on the Martin though!) We had the salesman play both for a minute or two at a time, handing them back and forth. He finally had to admit he liked the Taylor better! He said there just wasn't anything not to like about it. He started really loving that guitar. I wonder if the next time someone asks him, he'll say "well I'm more of a Taylor, Martin, and Gibson guy myself." :) I think we broke him!

So if all the planets align, tomorrow evening I'll be smiling and picking my new 814ce!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:33:44 PM by KevinIndiana »
Kevin
2012 Taylor 816ce

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hi from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »
Kevin it's great to have you here!!!!!!!!   ;D

Congrats to BOTH of you!  I hope you both enjoy your new Taylors!  And if it isn't much trouble...we'd love to see some picts!!  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »
Wow, two NGD's!!  Congrats to both of you and welcome to the site!!

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:29:09 PM »
Double Drool over 2 guitars!!! :o

Hope you will be able to get some sleep tonight...sounds like the excitement will be building! ;D
Cindy

KevinIndiana

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:32:05 AM »

NGD????
Kevin
2012 Taylor 816ce

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:23:46 AM »

NGD????

NGD = New Guitar Day

G.A.S. - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (guitars are like Lays Potato Chips...you can't stop at just one)

Both of these are universal on any guitar forum. ;)
Cindy

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Good choice on the 814ce, I have one and love it.  I also have a Martin M-36 and although it has nice sound and feel to it, I prefer my Taylors hands down.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
 Hi Kevin. Welcome to the site. Congrats on the new guitars. The 1st Taylor I ever played was an 814ce, I was hooked. This is a great forum. Enjoy yourself.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

KevinIndiana

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
 ;D Saturday was NGD!  ;D

Ended up buying an 816ce instead of 814ce. The 2012 814ce they had the previous week was sold a few hours before we got to the store. Neither of us liked the sound of the 2011 814ce they had as much as the 2012 one that had just sold, nor the 2012 816ce we ended up buying. Every guitar is truly a little different! I had been vacillating between the 14 and 16 anyway. I loved the 16 just as much, and the bass sound is awesome (as is every other part of the range, actually!)

No pics yet; my cell phone is acting up, but I'll post one soon. Although you obviously can just go to Taylor's site and see one. It looks just like mine, obviously. Mine has a pickguard. Taylor site shows 816ce both with and without guard.

We're both blown away at how nice it sounds. Now my wife's jealous! I knew that would happen! Although she does love her 214ce. As do I.

I chatted a bit with another customer who owns a 414ce which he plays amplified at his church as their worship pastor. He said he had been wanting an 814ce, but it was pointed out to him that if he's always going to play amplified, the 414ce was a grand cheaper and would sound almost identical when amplified and equalized. Good point. And if I were mostly going to play like that, I might have opted to save the thousand bucks myself. But I mostly play solo, unamplified, and the additional tone of the 800 series vs. the 400 was worth it to us.

It's got awesome playability. But the frets are sometimes just a little too buzzy. The guitar store salesman and I both thought the action was just a tiny bit low, but I decided to play it a while and see what I think. I'll probably have it adjusted when I'm ready to change the strings.  :-\ We'll see. No biggie. It won't take much of an adjustment to get rid of most of the buzzing. It'll always have some if it's strummed hard, but right now I'm getting some with gentle finger-picking on some strings/frets.

We also bought a Fishman LoudBox Artist. Just for the heck of it, I guess. I knew we'd eventually have an amp, so now we have that to play with too. It's going to be a fun summer!!!  8)
Kevin
2012 Taylor 816ce

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »
Congrats on the NGD!!!  The 800 series are amazing!!

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »
Congrats on the new 816 Kevin.  I hope that it brings many years of enjoyment to you.  Only problem I can see is that you will soon have to purchase the misses a 8 series as well, or many pairs of shoes...
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

KateIndiana

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:35:01 AM »
Only problem I can see is that you will soon have to purchase the misses a 8 series as well, or many pairs of shoes...

Definitely not the shoes!  He has much better taste in guitars than shoes! LOL

We'll have to get to the negotiating at some point, but I think my starting point for the negotiations may be a custom R Taylor rather than the 8 series! 

For now, I am loving playing my 214CE and both listening to and playing Kevin's 816CE!  :o)

Mrs. KevinIndiana

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 12:47:19 AM »
Only problem I can see is that you will soon have to purchase the misses a 8 series as well, or many pairs of shoes...

We'll have to get to the negotiating at some point, but I think my starting point for the negotiations may be a custom R Taylor rather than the 8 series! 

For now, I am loving playing my 214CE and both listening to and playing Kevin's 816CE!  :o)

Mrs. KevinIndiana

Ahhh a married couple on the UTGF!   :D  Welcome to the little community!  And congrats to you on your new Taylor as well!  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

KevinIndiana

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 12:11:23 AM »

R Taylor?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?    :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$    :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

What have we started!?     :'(

Mrs. KevinIndiana
Kevin
2012 Taylor 816ce

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 10:16:51 AM »

Mrs. KevinIndiana
i like the way you think, Kate :D
WELCOME !good to have both of you here -
congrats on the new guitars &
thank you so much for sharing :)

looking forward to hear more from you two
have a great summer  8)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/