Author Topic: Moving Up to a better Taylor  (Read 1531 times)

S.K. Lee

Moving Up to a better Taylor
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »
Hello, My name is Kelly Lee and I just bought my first Taylor, a 114CE. I actually traded 3 off brand guitars and some cash for it. Really like the sound but already want to move up to another Taylor as this is an "entry level" Talyor. When my finances are better any suggestions on them, 516-716CE or GS-5, or anything in between?
Thanks Kelly

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Moving Up to a better Taylor
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:45:58 PM »
It depends on your style, Kelly. Also, where do you play? Alone, in front of others, in a band or all three? Do you play guitar to accompany your singing? How about comfort - do you prefer a large, medium or small guitar? Please tell us a bit more so we can help you with your choices. Welcome aboard!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

cotten

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 01:49:59 AM »
Hi Kelly, welcome!

Don't let that 114 fool you. It packs a lot of good music power into a relatively inexpensive package.

I'd suggest hanging out here for a while, and playing every guitar you can get your hands on, Taylors or not. I did that for two years before getting my first "nice" guitar about a dozen years ago, a 2000 914c. By the time I found it, I had a pretty good idea of the tone and feel that I was looking for. (I first started looking for a Martin HD-28, and would still like to own one some day.) I still play that 914 every day!

Though Taylors do have a certain signature sound, there is a good bit of variety in the different models. People here will be happy to talk your ears off about all the great options! Don't be in too big a hurry to get another Taylor. Take your time and enjoy the journey!

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:32:47 AM »
Hi Kelly Lee and welcome to the UTGF! :) Some people might consider the 114ce to be an entry level guitar, but it's one that packs a punch! 8) One day while perusing the guitars at GC, I played a 114ce that had absolutely the most impressive sound! At the time I also owned a 914ce with engelmann and a 614ce with engelmann, and its sound rivaled the much more expensive models. I went back the next day to buy it, but someone bought it before I got there. :(

What type of sound do you like in a guitar? There are substantial differences in tone between the 5xx-7xx series, and knowing what you do/don't like might help us steer you in the right direction. Have you heard the difference between a cedar top vs. a sitka top? Do you like noticeable bass, or are you looking for a lead guitar that can cut through the mix?

There are no wrong answers...everyone's preferences are subjective so please give us a little more info. What style(s) playing do you prefer? What types of situations do you expect to play in?
Cindy

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:58:27 PM »
When I bought my 114ce, I played a bunch of guitars, including other more expensive Taylors.  I was impressed by how similar the Taylors all played, but the sound and feel of this particular 114 really stood out.  Even my wife (not a musician) could tell the difference.  Since I use that guitar mostly not amplified, I wasn't all that into the ES-T.  I was less than enthralled with the tone when plugged in at first, but an inexpensive EQ pedal gave me the adjustability I like (and have had with other guitars).  I am very pleased with my 114ce.

Play and enjoy that guitar for a while.  The more time you spend with her, the more you may come to appreciate all she has to offer.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
Hi Kelly, I have the 516ce (2010 Fall LTD - Koa)  Although I ended up with the Koa I actually went in looking for the 516 with the cedar top and when the guy opened the case with the Koa....well......you all know......

I like the 500 series and the 700 series.  Maybe BC of the cedar???not sure.

As the previous posters said you really can't go wrong with any of the Taylors, they are great guitars at any price point.  I would also say stick around here and learn about the differences.  I have learned so much here and if you can, play different guitars and have them played for you.

When I go looking I usually play for awhile to get the feel and see how comfortable the guitar is then I ask the sales person - or others - to play for me so I can listen to it and see if it's a sound I like.  Some say BC the sound hole is on the front the player doesn't always get a good listen - unless you know how to play the guitar behind your head....LOL.

So, welcome and congrats on your 114!!