Author Topic: How long will strings last unplayed??  (Read 7757 times)

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
Re: How long will strings last unplayed??
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
There are a couple of conditions that wear strings. One, being stretched (put on the guitar). Being under tension and being tuned contributes to metal fatigue and as the strings are used, they get stiff and although they will continue to stretch, they no longer stretch evenly. Hence, they get more difficult to tune and sound dead(er) because they are stiffening up. when the alloy fatigues enough, the string breaks. The other effect is corrosion. As long as the string is unused (still in it's envelope in the box) corrosion is minimal as the introduction of impurities is what speeds the process. Old string sets can still sound quite good if they have not corroded as they still retain the elasticity of non-fatigued alloy and have not corroded too much due to natural conditions. Strings being stored in an unsealed place near the sea could not be expected to last as long as a hermetically sealed set being stored in a desert hut. And everything in between....... The conditions that the strings are subjected to varies widely and the combination of the two major factors determines the useful life of the strings in question. Back in the day, I knew a fellow who could deaden a new set of strings in the time it took him to play one or two songs. His ph was not friendly to the string alloys. I have also noticed that strings on instruments that get played by several people (read: guitar shop demonstration guitars) age rapidly. Elixir strings (and the other coated strings) address that exact concern. But to the point: there is no reason why strings would not last almost indefinitely assuming they are stored properly, but all strings will wear out predictably once they are being used.
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: How long will strings last unplayed??
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
@Jim, this is good to know! I have some cast iron weight lifting plates that get moist from the changes in hot to cold temps (when the AC is turned on/off). I would expect that strings kept in an overly humid atmosphere may deteriorate more rapidly than in a drier environment even if they aren't on a guitar. Thanks for the terrific info! :D
Cindy