Author Topic: Hello from Dallas  (Read 4645 times)

naylor99

Hello from Dallas
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
Hello all,

Greetings! Newly registered today. I found this forum when looking for a place to sell my beloved Taylor 610-CE-LTD (2002). Just posted it in the FS section. Nice group of folks here, and a knowledgeable group! Nice to find! I am a Taylor fan, and was able to take the Taylor factory tour a few years ago, and highly recommend it if you are ever in the San Diego area. Assuming they still do it, it was really cool. They literally start at wood storage and end at finishing a guitar. Very interesting.

I'm just an occasional player - used to play in a band years ago, never could quite leave the guitar playing behind. I'm sure many here know what I mean! ;-) I played (gasp) an Ovation Balladeer for many years, and it actually was a great guitar for me at the time. Then I started playing a small church group every now and then, and a guy there had a beautiful Taylor and let me play it. Well, then I wanted one! So, I bought this one.

I am only selling it because a) I no longer perform, and b) I have a shoulder injury that is steering me towards an Ovation again (just for comfort sake). But I'm always going to have a guitar nearby...

Cheers!

--Bill

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: Hello from Dallas
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
Welcome Bill, sorry to hear about your shoulder.  Try out the Mini, a nice small guitar with a big Taylor sound.

naylor99

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »
Welcome Bill, sorry to hear about your shoulder.  Try out the Mini, a nice small guitar with a big Taylor sound.

Thanks, I will. I'm not familiar with the Mini. Is it much smaller than a standard size? That might just work for me... Any thoughts on the differences between the models (spruce vs mahogany)? Does the ES-Go pickup work well? (You know, just in case someone lets me sit in?) ;-)

Thanks for any advice...

--Bill

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
Here is a thread where we all show ours off - http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=1048.0

I like it - even tho' it's a GS body it's small and still a Taylor.  They have 4 different models & you may find that size more comfortable.

edited for price
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:37:34 AM by michaelw »

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
Hi Bill and welcome. I used to own an Ibanez dred but because of a shoulder injury, I had to sell it. I've found the GA size works much better for me. Have you tried one of the smaller bodied guitars...even a GC or a GS Mini?
Cindy

naylor99

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »
I may have to visit my local GC and see if they have a GS Mini I can try...!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 04:31:48 PM »
 Hi Bill. Welcome aboard. I went to a recent Taylor Road Show and heard the GS Mini's. I was impressed.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »
I to have had a shoulder injury and gave up on the dreads, they just are to big for me.  I play a GA body shape now and everything is good.  It has to do with the waist of the guitar body, I can even play a GS which has a bigger lower bout than a dreadnought, but with the waist being more narrow I can do it.  So you might check out a GA, GS, or even a GC.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Snydermerge

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »
Hey Bill!!  I live in Grapevine - welcome aboard.  I was in Grapevine Guitar Works last week and they had a couple on the floor- great guys too.  I've also see them at about every Guitar Center in town.  I ordered a '12 LTD Edition GS Mini with a blackwood back - waiting patiently. 
'08 Taylor GA8
PRS McCarty DGT
Martin D12X1AE
'14 Taylor T5Z
'73 Gibson Hummingbird
Rainsong H-WS1000N2

naylor99

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
Hey Bill!!  I live in Grapevine - welcome aboard.  I was in Grapevine Guitar Works last week and they had a couple on the floor- great guys too.  I've also see them at about every Guitar Center in town.  I ordered a '12 LTD Edition GS Mini with a blackwood back - waiting patiently.

Thanks for the welcome! Played one today at the Plano GC. I'm very impressed! Nice tone, very good feel... They only had the spruce top, though. Did they happen to have a Mahogany GS mini at Grapevine? I've heard good things about that place, but I've never been by. I need to go by there and see... Do they buy used guitars as well? I've sold some to GC in the past.

Thanks much for the info.

--Bill

Snydermerge

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »
No on the mahogany, at least not on the floor but they have a ton of instruments in the back.  A really nice atmosphere, check it out when you get in the area - they hosted a Taylor Road Show last month, great event.

'08 Taylor GA8
PRS McCarty DGT
Martin D12X1AE
'14 Taylor T5Z
'73 Gibson Hummingbird
Rainsong H-WS1000N2

naylor99

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »
No on the mahogany, at least not on the floor but they have a ton of instruments in the back.  A really nice atmosphere, check it out when you get in the area - they hosted a Taylor Road Show last month, great event.

Well, I asked them to call me when they got one in. The next day, Matt called to say he had found a new one, still in a box, that he didn't know they had. I went by today to play it, and it followed me home!  :) So I am now a proud owner of a GS Mini Hog. Love it!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
 Congrats on the new Mini Hawg.  ;D
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Snydermerge

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 06:37:40 PM »

Well, I asked them to call me when they got one in. The next day, Matt called to say he had found a new one, still in a box, that he didn't know they had. I went by today to play it, and it followed me home!  :) So I am now a proud owner of a GS Mini Hog. Love it!
[/quote]

That's awesome!!  My GS Mini LE Blackwood is FINALLY on the way! 
'08 Taylor GA8
PRS McCarty DGT
Martin D12X1AE
'14 Taylor T5Z
'73 Gibson Hummingbird
Rainsong H-WS1000N2

naylor99

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »

Congrats!!!