Author Topic: Warning! Weird Question - Finger Nails  (Read 5431 times)

rudals1281

Warning! Weird Question - Finger Nails
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »
I am getting old...just turned thirty..."sigh"...anyways, I've never had this problem before but lately my fingernails that I grow to pick strings have been breaking off. Some said it could be so because I don't have enough calcium. It's not like they were grotesquely long. They would usually break off from one side and I'd just have to tear it off. It's happened twice this month.
2008 Taylor 614CE

DMBfan41

Re: Warning! Weird Question - Finger Nails
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
Hydration and vitamin intake plays an important role in nail strength.  Here is some information for livestrong.com, some of which was taken from the Mayo Clinic.

Fingernails are a type of modified skin, and often provide clues to your health status. The nails are made of keratin, a type of protein found the in the skin and hair. Nails help protect your fingers and toes. Chiropractor and holistic health consultant Loretta Standley, of DrStandley.com, notes that fingernails grow approximately .05 to 1.2 millimeters a week. They can grow more rapidly when you eat a healthy diet. Nail health relies on you eating nutritious foods and meeting daily recommended vitamin requirements. Your doctor or health care provider can tell you the correct values.

Vitamin A
Vitamin A, also called retinol, is an antioxidant your body requires. It has important functions such as supporting the immune system, vision, bone growth, reproduction and fighting off viral infections. Vitamin A also helps your body process protein, which supports healthy nails. The Linus Pauling Institute notes that vitamin A binds with particular metabolic proteins. Typically, vitamin A is obtained from animal sources such as liver, eggs and cow's milk. Your body can also convert vitamin A from fruits and vegetables that contain beta carotene, such as spinach, carrots and peaches.

B Vitamins
B vitamins play an essential role in your growth and development. These vitamins include vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B12 and folic acid. Some of the roles of B vitamins are to influence normal growth, produce energy, break down proteins and help nervous system functions. B vitamins also influence nail strength, and low intake of these important vitamins can result in fragile or brittle nails. A deficiency in vitamin B12, for example, may result in thin nails, dark nails or spoon-shaped nails. The Mayo Clinic also notes that vitamin B7, or biotin, helps strengthen and thicken fragile nails, and recommends speaking to your doctor about biotin supplements if your nails are weak. You can obtain many B vitamins from leafy green vegetables, peas, beans, eggs, fish and dairy products.

Vitamin C
Vitamin C, also called ascorbic acid, plays a role in many body functions. This powerful antioxidant is necessary for healthy skin, bones, cartilage, tendons and in healing wounds. Vitamin C also assists in promoting a healthy immune system, protecting cells from free radical damage and improving iron absorption. Vitamin C enhances nail strength and can reduce nail problems. Dr. Standley notes that frayed nails, split nails and nails with pitted spots can be indicative of folic acid, protein and/or vitamin C deficiencies. Rich sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage and strawberries.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
There's a coating that gals use called "Hard as hoofs" I think. It goes on clear and stays clear but strengthens the nail.  Just one more option...
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

rudals1281

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
Hydration and vitamin intake plays an important role in nail strength.  Here is some information for livestrong.com, some of which was taken from the Mayo Clinic.

Fingernails are a type of modified skin, and often provide clues to your health status. The nails are made of keratin, a type of protein found the in the skin and hair. Nails help protect your fingers and toes. Chiropractor and holistic health consultant Loretta Standley, of DrStandley.com, notes that fingernails grow approximately .05 to 1.2 millimeters a week. They can grow more rapidly when you eat a healthy diet. Nail health relies on you eating nutritious foods and meeting daily recommended vitamin requirements. Your doctor or health care provider can tell you the correct values.

Vitamin A
Vitamin A, also called retinol, is an antioxidant your body requires. It has important functions such as supporting the immune system, vision, bone growth, reproduction and fighting off viral infections. Vitamin A also helps your body process protein, which supports healthy nails. The Linus Pauling Institute notes that vitamin A binds with particular metabolic proteins. Typically, vitamin A is obtained from animal sources such as liver, eggs and cow's milk. Your body can also convert vitamin A from fruits and vegetables that contain beta carotene, such as spinach, carrots and peaches.

B Vitamins
B vitamins play an essential role in your growth and development. These vitamins include vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B12 and folic acid. Some of the roles of B vitamins are to influence normal growth, produce energy, break down proteins and help nervous system functions. B vitamins also influence nail strength, and low intake of these important vitamins can result in fragile or brittle nails. A deficiency in vitamin B12, for example, may result in thin nails, dark nails or spoon-shaped nails. The Mayo Clinic also notes that vitamin B7, or biotin, helps strengthen and thicken fragile nails, and recommends speaking to your doctor about biotin supplements if your nails are weak. You can obtain many B vitamins from leafy green vegetables, peas, beans, eggs, fish and dairy products.

Vitamin C
Vitamin C, also called ascorbic acid, plays a role in many body functions. This powerful antioxidant is necessary for healthy skin, bones, cartilage, tendons and in healing wounds. Vitamin C also assists in promoting a healthy immune system, protecting cells from free radical damage and improving iron absorption. Vitamin C enhances nail strength and can reduce nail problems. Dr. Standley notes that frayed nails, split nails and nails with pitted spots can be indicative of folic acid, protein and/or vitamin C deficiencies. Rich sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage and strawberries.

The weird thing about it is that I take the GNC's Mega Men Multivitamins everyday and have been doing so for the last five years. Friend told me to start drinking some soy milk. Anyways, this is becoming very annoying because I can't pick my strings.
2008 Taylor 614CE

markallen

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
I have this exact problem and as someone REALLY old at 50+, I found the solution was Biotin (I believe this is also Vitamin H, which I think is in the B vitamin family). I take one capsule a day with my regular vitamins and it's worked wonders. It took about three months to harden, but ever since its been fine. The issue for me was never the rate of growth, but the strength of the nail.

I've also used the "hard as nails" top coat which works really well.

Cheers,
Mark

They would usually break off from one side and I'd just have to tear it off. It's happened twice this month.

rudals1281

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:22:27 PM »
There's a coating that gals use called "Hard as hoofs" I think. It goes on clear and stays clear but strengthens the nail.  Just one more option...

Hehe...let me see if my gf has something. Hope she doesn't think I am a bit feminine. LOL
2008 Taylor 614CE

dcarey

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 08:58:16 AM »
I am getting old...just turned thirty..."sigh"...anyways, I've never had this problem before but lately my fingernails that I grow to pick strings have been breaking off. Some said it could be so because I don't have enough calcium. It's not like they were grotesquely long. They would usually break off from one side and I'd just have to tear it off. It's happened twice this month.

Hmmm...getting old...just turned 30...remind me to smack you at the end of this post, please.

Some of us are just blessed with paper nails. Have you tried finger picks? There are tons of styles out there.
Personally, I use ProPik Fingertone picks ( http://www.guptillmusic.com/propik/fingertone.html ) and Fred Kelley Speed picks
for my thumb ( http://fredkellypicks.com/delrin-speed-pick-heavy-24-pcs.html ).
There are Alaska picks, which actually fit under your nails and can be trimmed to your liking. I tried them but just don't like the feel.
There's another brand whose name completely escapes me but these are clear plastic that closely mimic a true finger nail (maybe someone here knows what I'm speaking about).

Dan
Just turned 60

Aha! just remembered the other picks: http://fredkellypicks.com/freedom-pick.html/
Fred Kelley Freedom picks. Haven't yet tried these but the concept looks good
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:59:52 AM by dcarey »
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
Hehe...let me see if my gf has something. Hope she doesn't think I am a bit feminine. LOL

My wife gives me a hard time when I break out the emery board to shape up my right hand nails, but it's all in fun.  After the emery board, if needed, I remove the old nail hardener with nail polish remover and then re-apply.  I've not broken a nail in a long time.   

I still hate romantic comedies, so my manhood remains intact....even with girly fingernails!   ;D

Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

InsideOut

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 03:29:04 PM »
I hear eating jello helps.  I went through the same thing at about the same stage of life.  I miss the days of rock hard fingernails.   I can't play with the same clarity that I used to, but I have adapted to picking with the pads of my finger tips.  I haven't bothered trying to grow them back because I now trim my nails every Saturday inpreparation for serving communion.  Nobody wants to be handed a piece of bread from some guy with long nasty nails.   ;)   I have tried finger picks, but that was a disaster.  It was like wearing metal gloves.
I have enough, but can always make room for more.

andyi5

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 04:39:27 PM »
My experience is similar to InsideOut... never managed to maintain the kind of fingernails that would work for playing guitar. I use the pads of my fingers too - creates quite a soft sound, very nice for a lot of styles (bossa nova picking's an example) - you can often use the fingers alternately to strum two or three strings at once. The angle of attack will naturally be different  than with finger nails - rather than clawing up under the string, you kind of "bounce" onto it with the fingers a bit straighter, similar to how electric bass players do it.

As with the fretting hand, may take the tips a couple of weeks to toughen up, but it's a pleasing sound and makes you feel very close to the guitar. I also like using a pick, perhaps because that gets the wrist so involved which also feels good. But quite agree, the most sterile and distant guitar playing experience I had was with a full set of finger picks on!!

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
I do not pick with my nails, but was told by a Dr. during my last physical that everyone should be taking vitamins as a supplement.  I do so daily and had been prior to the physical.  But, he did also tell me that calcium was a good idea, espcially since I was over 50 now.  He went on to say that he had read reports where calcium supplements was a good idea for teenagers.  I now take calcium supplements every day.  I guess opinions will vary from doctor to doctor on what is best.  For a few bucks, I'll continue to take the few supplements I currently take.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16