Author Topic: "Kyser" Capos vs "Shubb" Capos...pressure = fret wear?  (Read 11679 times)

edman

Re: "Kyser" Capos vs "Shubb" Capos...pressure = fret wear?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »
I owned Shubb, Kyser, Planet Waves NS, G7th and the Dunlop Trigger capos over the years.

I prefer Kyser.

remshooter

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 11:13:08 PM »
I wouldn't dump anything.

I've used Shubbs and Keysers for years, and can attribute exactly zero fret ware to either.

You're worrying too much.

Go play your guitar and have some fun...
Ditto  ;D
Todd

2011 Taylor 114e
2001 Taylor 310
1969 Silvertone 319

dangrunloh

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
Kyser for convenience and quick change ... Schubb for stability and less pressure on strings (and possibly frets?)

And neck.  Taylor guitars may not be affected (I'm not sure) but certainly some guitars owners have found light dents on the back of the neck with prolonged use of the non-adjustable Kyser types

I have both and it's just as you say spring loaded for fast use. I once saw Tommy E. pull off a capo in blur of one beat between 4 and 1 in the count. He deliberately stood next to a stand where his left hand could drop the capo and then immediately be playing in the new key.  His hand only moved about  12 inches. I was impressed.

For adjustable I like the little Planet Waves NS capo.  Works on everything.  One hand with practice (maybe).  Does not pull strings out of tune when adjusted properly. I bought one in black so it wouldn't stand out and look very pro, but I can't find the darn thing half the time so the next one will be silver.

Judson H

• My Youtube music
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
I wouldn't dump anything either, but would add that Kyser, being spring-loaded puts a consistent amount of pressure on the strings whether that amount of pressure is necessary or not.  Shubb on the other hand can be adjusted to apply only the amount of pressure necessary to get the job done.  I think less pressure helps to not pull the strings "sharp" which I can tell happens when a capo is put on and then the Snark tuner is used to check the tuning again.  This is not to say that either capo causes any more or less harm to the strings or the frets.  I like Kyser because it's quick and easy, but I honestly think that Shubb provides more accuracy and consistency.  It's just more of a hassle to move around quickly on stage.

I wouldn't dump anything.

I've used Shubbs and Keysers for years, and can attribute exactly zero fret ware to either.

You're worrying too much.

Go play your guitar and have some fun...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:11:49 AM by Blackville »
2012 Taylor GA3
2012 Martin D-18
2004 Seagull Artist Mosaic QII
2001 Simon & Patrick Cedar Folk
1967 Silvertone Sovereign 1220 Jumbo (my high school guitar)
Fishman Loudbox Mini and Shure SM58

the52blues

• My News Is Blues!
    • Downtown Freddy Brown
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 12:51:45 AM »
I'm not really a fan of capos per se. If you are just using it to play in Ab or Eb, that's just lazy. Playing in those other keys may take a little extra effort but well worth it. I do own several capos, mostly Keyser type (I say Keyser type because I buy off shore replicas of Keyser which have weaker springs but work great) but use them rarely. There are certain things you can do in certain keys on the guitar that you can't do in other keys ie the move on a D chord adding the pinkie to make a sus4 then removing it and lifting the second finger to make a sus2. If that needs to be used in the Key of E then I will capo 2. Drop D in the key of E without de-tuning the low E? Invert the capo and capo the first five strings at 2 leaving the low E open.
Taylor DDX
El Degas MT19
Martin DXK2AE Koa
Washburn custom J28 Jumbo
Yamaha 720 12 string
Epiphone Joe Pass archtop
Fender Tele
Framus 5 string banjo
Vantage 700 series 4 string bass
several ukulele
Bose L1 Compact PA

414Ltd

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
For me, I definitely don't mind giving up the convenience of a kyser for the increased accuracy of a shubb.  I haven't tried other adjustable tension capos, but l love my shubbs and most likely wouldn't buy any capo that didn't have adjustable tension.

Just my 2 cents.

Neil
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:27:07 PM by 414Ltd »

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
Kyser for convenience and quick change ... Schubb for stability and less pressure on strings (and possibly frets?)

+1 on this ... I used Keyser's exclusively for years but then switched to Shubb's.  I use Shubb's now 95% of the time (love their partial capos too) ... however, when I need a quick change capo for multiple modulations in a song, I grab the Keyser.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:39:07 AM by Scriptor »
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
I only have Kyser, and never really thought about it but I have checked the tuning and found out that it sharpens all my strings, so much for my ears.  I think I will give Shubb a try.  Does anybody have a favorite model that you like? 

As far as fret wear. I don't see any wear on my frets from using a capo.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 08:53:29 AM »
Shubb capos are pretty much the same. If you capo above the 5th fret you'll probably want to get the 12 string model which is a little longer.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric