Author Topic: String buzz  (Read 1837 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
String buzz
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »
When I tune my low E string down to D and capo at the third fret I get a lot of string buzz, it is not doing it without the capo.  This is on a 2011 714ce, the neck seems to be set fine and it plays well when in standard tuning and no capo, and it is fine in standard tuning and capo at the second, third and 5th fret.  This problem is the same with all my guitars.  So I believe it is because of the string having less tension and it will always do this. 

One thing I did do is I loosened the truss rod till my neck had quite a relief to it, which helped the first day, now its is buzzing again. 
I use Elixir lights on all of my guitars but was thinking maybe trying medium strings to see if that fixed the sound.  Do you think I will have to raise my saddle?  Does anybody have any thoughts
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:33:22 AM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
Re: String buzz
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »
 Only thing I can suggest is trying some different capos, see if that makes any difference.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:40:23 AM »
After talking with a guitar tech I tried using a guitar with medium strings(my 716 ltd)and gave the neck a bit of relief to it and bingo, I can drop the low E to D and put the capo on at the 3rd fret and I don't have any buzzing, even with moderate to hard strumming.

Love the sound of this guitar in drop D it is pretty awesome.  It can make my bones shake.

He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »
Yeah, drop D really does have a special sound.
My little OM reverberates like a piano in that, as well as in open tunings.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.