Author Topic: "Kyser" Capos vs "Shubb" Capos...pressure = fret wear?  (Read 11680 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
"Kyser" Capos vs "Shubb" Capos...pressure = fret wear?
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:32:45 AM »
Which style do you prefer?  I've been using a Kyser for years, but wonder if the hard clamping spring might be giving my frets extra wear that they wouldn't get if I used a Shubb...

What do you all think?
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

StevieD

Re: "Kyser" Capos vs "Shubb" Capos...pressure = fret wear?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
I don't have experience with Shubb, but I have had (and still have) many Kysers, and stopped using them.  I noticed one day that my guitar sounded a bit out of tune when capo'd.  Sure enough, after testing my Kysers (I have 4 of them), every one put the guitar slightly out of tune when capo'd.  I subsequently started using the G7th Performance Capo.  Its a bit more expensive than the Kyser, but it works like a dream, and I've never had the out of tune problem with the G7th.  I can highly recommend it.

S

pottski

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
I've never used anything other than Keyser. I have noticed that on some, but not all of my guitars, the Keyser capos cause some tuning issues. I also seem to have quite a bit of fret wear for the amount of playing time I put in. I'd never thought that a capo could do that, but you have me wondering now. I've heard some good things about the G7th capo. Maybe I should give one a try.
Custom GA Adirondack/Ovangkol
MIM Fender Telecaster
Luna Safari Muse
Dean Exotica Bubinga
Epi LEs Paul Bass

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »
I subsequently started using the G7th Performance Capo.  Its a bit more expensive than the Kyser, but it works like a dream, and I've never had the out of tune problem with the G7th.  I can highly recommend it.

+1 on the G7th.  Easiest capo to put on and take off, and no tuning issues or excessive fret wear.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
I too noticed the Kysers put me out of tune.  I just bought a Paige capo that I'm liking alot and I haven't had any tuning issues so far.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
Shubbs, Keyers... really doesn't matter a great deal to me...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »
After looking at the G7th capo online, I am not seeing much difference in how they work.  The Shubb is different in how it is put on, but how can either one of these keep the frets from wearing out better than any of the others.

He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

gerald germany

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »
If you use a capo a lot, the Elliot and McKinney-Elliot capos might be worth looking into.
2012 Taylor 714ce-SD
2010 Martin HD-28
2010Takamine EG523SC12 12-string Jumbo
2006 Johnny Walker Concert Classical

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »
Fret wear due to which capo is a non-issue, IMHO.  The bigger concern really is pressure on the strings to pull notes sharp, and how "fast" you want access to it.

The shubb is nice for the obvious reason that you can set the tension.  But requires two hands to use or move.

The Kyser is fast since its trigger mechanism allows fast, one-handed use and movement.  But has a gorilla spring tension that is fixed.

G7th is superb in its intuitive, seamless design and implementation.  But two handed use is typical, though one-handed is possible with pratice.  BTW, I use a G7th 12string version for my 12-er ...best 12-st capo out there, IMHO.

So for regular use on a 6-er, I like the Planet Waves Dual-action capo.  It is a trigger mechanism for speed and one-handed use, but also a thumbwheel like the shubb so you can use the least amount of tension necessasry.  The best all-around capo by far, IMHO.  That it costs nearly nuttin is gravy!

Edward

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
The bottom line is that any capo is going to put pressure on the strings and frets that wouldn't be there otherwise.

If you don't want that, don't use a capo.

The resulting difference between a Shubb and a Keyser (if any at all) is going to be so minimal it would be insignificant...

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »
I pretty much concur with everything Edward said.
The Kyser IS quick, but is known to sharp the notes due to a heavy spring.  I used two pliers to put a little bend in the spring on my Kyser and it made a world of difference.  Alas, I lost it somewhere at home in the last month so when I was at The Podium on Monday I bought a new capo.

Decided on the Planet Wave thumbwheel one.  Not the combo/trigger one, just the low profile knobby one.  It does require two hands to set properly, but other than that I think it's a great little device. 

No matter what though, the choices today are far better than the old elastic fabric band one with the brass grommeted locating holes and pin.  My folks have one in the case of the Harmony archtop (1960's I think) and it really is a miserable little pain.
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »
I use Shubb on most of my guitars. On the 12string is the Paige 12 string capo, also tension adjustable, w/ rings for the octave strings. Works great. A plus w/the the Paige is it can be conveniently stored behind the nut which makes it harder to lose. I keep one on my Martin for bluegrassing when my son decides to go on a banjo kick.
Kyser capos, if used in the same place frequently, will not only result in excessive fret wear , but on softer fingerboards can leave marks from the wound strings.This is more pronounced on thicker necks because of increased tension.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

egkor

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »
Wow, after reading these posts, I'm going to dump my Kysers and go with tension-adjustable capos.

-Gary K
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 11:03:39 PM »
I wouldn't dump anything.

I've used Shubbs and Keysers for years, and can attribute exactly zero fret ware to either.

You're worrying too much.

Go play your guitar and have some fun...

Judson H

• My Youtube music
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »
Kyser for convenience and quick change ... Schubb for stability and less pressure on strings (and possibly frets?)
2012 Taylor GA3
2012 Martin D-18
2004 Seagull Artist Mosaic QII
2001 Simon & Patrick Cedar Folk
1967 Silvertone Sovereign 1220 Jumbo (my high school guitar)
Fishman Loudbox Mini and Shure SM58