Author Topic: TS 1/4" to XLR?  (Read 13805 times)

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Re: TS 1/4" to XLR?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
...In fact, that hotter signal overwhelmed my previous Baggs PADI, and I've likewise seen other units (especially acosutic guitar amps) whose input pad is not stout enough to "gain down" that very healthy signal, which results in your turning down the ES at the guitar waaay low, and sometimes even mild distortion because you're overdriving the input. ...

I was surprised by the above as turning the volume down on the guitar should prevent overload of the L.R. Baggs Para DI. If the ES can be plugged straight into a microphone jack with good results, why would the Para DI (which is designed for a much stronger, line-level input), become overloaded by the ES?

Yeah, Herb, kind of surprised me as well.  I gained down the PADI to its minimum, and still had a hint of overdrive unless I turned the guit's ES volume waaaaay down (I can't recall exactly to where as it was some time ago, but my recollection was that it was set around the 9:00 position).  And with the pot at that level, the knob just seemed really touchy (though who knows if that was due to the pot's taper or the dynamics of the gain being what it was.  In any event, running balanced into the PADI proved to be too touchy/sensitive ...I hate "fussing" over settings.  One of the perks of the Venue over the PADI is its ability to handle a much broader range of input gain.  The Venue handled the ES' hotter balanced signal with aplomb.  Nevertheless, I ended up just going unbalanced to the Venue is it just simplified life by one more step.  :)

Hey Capt Jim,
As far as I know, the ES-T on the 100s/200s are unbalanced signals only.  So just use a good guitar cable.  :)

Edward

It is good to know that the Venue has more headroom than the Para DI.