Author Topic: Anyone Ever Loan their guitar to another player at an Open Mic?  (Read 9823 times)

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Anyone Ever Loan their guitar to another player at an Open Mic?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
thanks for sharing the link & story of the pic of Shareen's 614ceL30, John -
i especially enjoyed the audio clip - Shareen has a wonderful voice & it sounds great :)

i'll have to check out the 429 forum - wouldn't mind squeezing a fe385 into a fox body at some point
 in the future & if i recall correctly, they can be bored/stroked to over 700 ci, if one is so inclined ;)

Thanks for checking it out, Michael! That was a sad time for her guitar, but thanks to Taylor, everything was put back like new. One of my joys in life is to support her in her musical endeavors and watching her blossom into such an amazing musician is a major highlight in my life!

Yes - please do stop by 429 Technical Forum. We'll be glad to help you shoehorn a bored & stroked 460 into your Capri ;) You will then have the Grand Symphony of Capris!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »
Glad there was no harm John429...  I've allowed others to play my 814 at our local jam, but there was one guy I was nervous about letting play it.  I'd already allowed two others to play it on other dates and could not refuse him his turn.  The first two guys, one had an 814 and the other was a Fender Tele and they both were always cautious about the way they handled their guitars.  When they asked for mine to try out, they handed their guitars over to me without hesitation.  The other gentleman likes to set close to all other players and just thinking about it makes me nervous.  However, no bumps, dings, or anything.  I've started carrying my Sigma and taken my Alvarez several times.  Each of these guitars are nice and have no dings on them, but I feel more comfortable in this one environment.  Now, when I play out alone or with fellow musicians in a structure event, I play my 814 without hesitation as I know I'll have total control over it.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 07:01:14 PM »
Glad you have escaped undinged, Barefooter. I have noticed some folks like to sit very close to others when they play as well and I share your concern with getting clunked into.
2007 Taylor 612ce

DMBfan41

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 10:08:24 PM »
I'll echo the sentiment "I got my guitar to play".  I don't baby them after I've decided it's a keeper.  Mine have several dings to testify of their daily use.  However, I have the right to ding it because it's mine.  I'd never just hand it over without regard to it's well being. 

I can only imagine what was going through the OP's mind and body watching his rig go through the ringer.

All risk of damage aside, I rarely let anyone play my guitars beyond holding for a few and noodling.  I'm just weird like that I guess.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 10:13:36 PM »
There are a few people I would (and have) loan one of my guitars to.  Strangers at an open mike are not on that list.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:44:26 AM »
I can only imagine what was going through the OP's mind and body watching his rig go through the ringer.

It was abject horror, believe me. After that experience, I only let folks I know *extremely* well and fully trust play it.
2007 Taylor 612ce