Lessons, Recordings, How Tos, Repair, Accessories > Lessons, Recordings, How Tos, Repair, Accessories

Anyone Ever Loan their guitar to another player at an Open Mic?

(1/5) > >>

John429:
About a week after I got my new 612ce, I decided to try out a new open mic I had never been to before. When I got there, I noticed one of my daughter's musician friends was there. She immediately came up and said she had just busted a string and wondered if she could borrow my guitar for her turn. Being someone I kinda knew, I told her she could. However, I didn't realize that this open mic had one of those vertical mic stands for their vocal mic (as opposed to the ones with the boom arm for the mic) where you have to get extremely close to the stand with your guitar in order to get your mouth up to the mic. The moment she went up there, I noticed this and was petrified she might wack my guitar on the mic stand! About a minute into her song, my worst nightmare was realized! She started slowly rotating left and right as she was singing and every time she did, the guitar body wacked the mic stand - "wack!wack!wack!" and she was completely oblivious to it happening! This was a most awkward situation - do I run up and interrupt her performance (how embarrassing would that be)? Or stay silent and hope for the best? I decided on a third option - I crept up and moved the mic stand about an inch further away from her. I'm sure it looked odd because no one else knew what the heck I was doing. Luckily, she just kept playing and didn't stop when I was up there. This outward movement of the mic stand gave *just* enough clearance to prevent further impacts. After the performance, I checked my guitar and miraculously, the finish was completely undamaged. Taylor has done a fantastic job on their finish to survive something like this. Anyone else have an experience like this when they lent their guitar to someone?

BigSkyTaylorPlayer:
Not with my guitar but with my golf clubs.  I bought a new driver and went to the range to practice.  A friend comes up and wants to try it......ok.....I say and handed him the club.

He tees up the ball, takes a swing, and skies it.  Everyone else is looking up - I can't believe you hit it that high dude!  I'm looking at my club with the nice "idiot mark" on the once beautiful pristine head.

He gives it back and says "meh, doesn't hit so well"  I almost beat him with it but thought the blood would look bad on it too. :)

Hence, no one knows I have the new Taylor, I take my Yamaha out with me.

jjrpilot-admin:

--- Quote from: John429 on December 14, 2011, 11:47:46 PM ---About a week after I got my new 612ce, I decided to try out a new open mic I had never been to before. When I got there, I noticed one of my daughter's musician friends was there. She immediately came up and said she had just busted a string and wondered if she could borrow my guitar for her turn. Being someone I kinda knew, I told her she could. However, I didn't realize that this open mic had one of those vertical mic stands for their vocal mic (as opposed to the ones with the boom arm for the mic) where you have to get extremely close to the stand with your guitar in order to get your mouth up to the mic. The moment she went up there, I noticed this and was petrified she might wack my guitar on the mic stand! About a minute into her song, my worst nightmare was realized! She started slowly rotating left and right as she was singing and every time she did, the guitar body wacked the mic stand - "wack!wack!wack!" and she was completely oblivious to it happening! This was a most awkward situation - do I run up and interrupt her performance (how embarrassing would that be)? Or stay silent and hope for the best? I decided on a third option - I crept up and moved the mic stand about an inch further away from her. I'm sure it looked odd because no one else knew what the heck I was doing. Luckily, she just kept playing and didn't stop when I was up there. This outward movement of the mic stand gave *just* enough clearance to prevent further impacts. After the performance, I checked my guitar and miraculously, the finish was completely undamaged. Taylor has done a fantastic job on their finish to survive something like this. Anyone else have an experience like this when they lent their guitar to someone?

--- End quote ---

This story makes me cringe...as I was reading I kept thinking... "please don't wack it..."  then you proceeded to type 2 more "wacks"....my heart sank...as I imagined it being my GS8e...

thankfully the end of the story is a happy one!   ;D   Sounds like Taylor's finish came through!!!

John429:

--- Quote from: TaylorPlayer516 on December 15, 2011, 12:04:22 AM ---
He gives it back and says "meh, doesn't hit so well"  I almost beat him with it but thought the blood would look bad on it too. :)

--- End quote ---

LOL! Good self control there!

jjrpilot-admin:

--- Quote from: TaylorPlayer516 on December 15, 2011, 12:04:22 AM ---Not with my guitar but with my golf clubs.  I bought a new driver and went to the range to practice.  A friend comes up and wants to try it......ok.....I say and handed him the club.

He tees up the ball, takes a swing, and skies it.  Everyone else is looking up - I can't believe you hit it that high dude!  I'm looking at my club with the nice "idiot mark" on the once beautiful pristine head.

Hence, no one knows I have the new Taylor, I take my Yamaha out with me.

--- End quote ---

Same here...I was golfing in FL...and a friend of a friend was also a lefty like me...he breaks his driver (cheap) and then asks to use mine....what was I to say?  "No!" and be a jerk?  So I said "yes"...and he hit a pop up and left a nice little sky mark...grrrrr.  It's a small one though...thank goodness.   :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version