Author Topic: Why is Taylor so polarizing?  (Read 29238 times)

Jack Sparrow

Re: Why is Taylor so polarizing?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
Detractors may say what they want of Taylor, but they can never accuse them of "playing it safe."
Not that I am a detractor, but I do think that, considering the crowded guitar market and the dominance of Martin, Taylor's safest route to success actually is offering a product that is different from Martin's and convincing buyers that this new way is better. A smart move for sure, but safer than trying to compete with a traditional brand on its own terms.

As for why Taylor is polarizing, I think the main point is what has already been described: they emphasize technology, modernity and innovation in a market where many buyers value exactly the opposite. I also wonder how much Taylor's religious affiliation (real or perceived) has to do with it. They obviously have a lot of customers who like that, but I know for a fact that they do have some potential customers who are not crazy about it.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »
Why is Taylor polarizing? All too often, human nature tends to be envious of another's success or good fortune. When I was a dyed in the wool Martin fan, I used to resent Taylor as the all too young upstart company, who would dare to speak its name in the same breath as Martin. "Taylors are nothing like Martins," I'd say. Then I played the first Taylor I would subsequently take home. Once home, I slowly realized that my Martins were no longer doing it for me, because my Taylor had set a new standard in sound and playability. Today, I respect Martin and its fans. I'm just not a fan anymore, because of the epiphany I have had with my Taylors.

I hope that I haven't said anything too polarizing!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:31:44 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Jannie

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
I've puzzled over this every time I noticed the original subject line and I always feel a  big What?  I'm newly back to guitars as of last summer and what I noticed right away was that there was a lot of opinion against or of ignoring Martin guitars and Taylor was the more popular in this day and age.

However when I go to my quite wonderful guitar store which has lots of guitars, they seriously do not give you one opinion regarding any of the makers guitars they carry and treat each one as an individual entity, I find this rare and quite frankly have found it refreshing whether trying a $400 Seagull, $3-5,000 Taylor, Martin, Collings, Goodall etc. All they care about is to help me find a good fit and they've never given me a push toward one guitar or another, just suggestions for ones I might try if I ask for their input.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 06:43:38 PM »
I've puzzled over this every time I noticed the original subject line and I always feel a  big What?  I'm newly back to guitars as of last summer and what I noticed right away was that there was a lot of opinion against or of ignoring Martin guitars and Taylor was the more popular in this day and age.

However when I go to my quite wonderful guitar store which has lots of guitars, they seriously do not give you one opinion regarding any of the makers guitars they carry and treat each one as an individual entity, I find this rare and quite frankly have found it refreshing whether trying a $400 Seagull, $3-5,000 Taylor, Martin, Collings, Goodall etc. All they care about is to help me find a good fit and they've never given me a push toward one guitar or another, just suggestions for ones I might try if I ask for their input.

My experience with most music stores has been the same as yours - not prejudiced against any particular brand. However, forums (as the Op indicated) are a different story. In addition, I've read many accounts of certain stores "bashing" Taylors as unworthy competitors to the more traditional brands like Martin, Gibson and Guild. I don't believe that is as prevalent today. Taylor has made its mark in the guitar world, and it doesn't appear to be retreating or withering under criticisms to date.
In fact, I had a great experience today. Someone had given me a gift certificate to Guitar Center for Christmas, so I went there to buy some strings. In the acoustic room, an older gentleman was playing a Taylor 300 series guitar in a decidedly blue grass style. He decided to buy it, commenting, "These Taylors are fine guitars - you just can't beat them!" There were plenty of Martins and Gibsons in the same price range, but this older Tennessee blue grass player chose the Taylor. Maybe the times are a-changing!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:37:57 PM by Strumming Fool »

silvereagle48

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
I've wonderred about this polarizing thing too.  Taylor makes some fine guitars as do many other manufacturers.  People just seem to need affirmation that their choices in guitars ( or whatever) are admired and approved of by others.
hoffman j, taylor bto ga, taylor bto jumbo 12 string, huss and dalton custom 00-sp, huss and dalton custom ds 12 fret, cole-clark fl3ac, martin hd-28-2r, larrivee om-05

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »
I've wonderred about this polarizing thing too.  Taylor makes some fine guitars as do many other manufacturers.  People just seem to need affirmation that their choices in guitars ( or whatever) are admired and approved of by others.

Hey Silvereagle48 - I just noticed this was your first post - welcome! We're glad you're here!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

colchar

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 02:07:49 AM »
I see Taylor and Martin as the Fender and Gibson of the acoustic world (Taylor=Fender, Martin=Gibson). Among electric players there are a lot of people who are either Gibson players or Fender players and they tend to spend a lot of energy running the other manufacturer down. Where that comes from (rationalizing their own purchases, genuine dislike, jealousy, tribalism, or whatever else) I am not sure as I personally appreciate both brands. I own a Gibson Les Paul and do not find Fenders as comfortable to play as I do Gibson-scaled guitars, but I do not run down Fenders as I used to own one, think that they make some excellent instruments, and will most likely buy a Tele one of these days.

Maybe the anti-Taylor comments (I've never heard any myself as my impression is that they are almost universally respected...but I am from the electric camp and am not as familiar with acoustic rivalries) are simply the same as the anti-Fender or anti-Gibson comments one hears in the electric community.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:10:30 AM by colchar »
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Faded
Epiphone ES-335 Dot
Taylor 110 Acoustic
VOX L'il Night Train
Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th Anniversary

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »
What's interesting to me is that I see more "polarization" among people who like Taylors as opposed to folks who dislike 'em. In other words, I see more people who claim their belief that Taylors are the best, as opposed to players of other brands who put Taylors down.

Taylor's sound and aesthetics have definitely hit a sweet spot for a great number of people who evidently are just not interested in the more "traditional" sounds.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
What's interesting to me is that I see more "polarization" among people who like Taylors as opposed to folks who dislike 'em. In other words, I see more people who claim their belief that Taylors are the best, as opposed to players of other brands who put Taylors down.

Taylor's sound and aesthetics have definitely hit a sweet spot for a great number of people who evidently are just not interested in the more "traditional" sounds.

A surprising response. In all my time on the old AGF, I did not experience that level of polarization among Taylor fans. In fact, most posts were quite respectful of other brands. In contrast, I left the Larrivee forum (I own one Larrivee) because the polarization was excessive there. People were constantly arguing with one another, and there was tension everywhere. It seemed as if there was so little news to talk about that people just got on each other's nerves. I never spent any time on other forums, and it's been years since I've owned Martins, Gibsons, Lowdens, Santa Cruz's, Guilds, Ovations, Takamines, etc....

SoloTaylor

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
I think because the voicing of Taylor (to me) sounds so much like a fine tuned Grand Piano.

8)
Cheers,

Solo

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
It's just human nature to want to be king of the hill and to knock off whoever is on top.  Like it or not, Taylor is fast approaching that stature which may be why they get so much grief.  No one really bothers to try and knock down the smaller guys because they aren't so much of a threat (yet).

I am an Apple/Mac guy, maybe that's why I love Taylor's? ;D
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
The world is filled with superb guitars. They are different, but equal, if they bring joy to the owner(s). If the guitar you have compels you to take it out of it's case and play it, then it is the right guitar for you. If your tastes change, and another guitar becomes the "siren" guitar, and it makes you want to play it, then you now have a new "right guitar". Debating guitar worthiness is as fruitless as discussing politics or religion, and for the same reasons. Everyone finds their own path, or should anyway. Any time spent running down other brands of guitars is better spent practicing. Gotta go and practice now....
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

varpa

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 01:24:31 PM »
One thing that I have found annoying about Taylor is that they dumped my local guitar store for Best Buy.  I recently went into the local store where I had bought my Taylor and they told me they no longer carried Taylor since Taylor dumped them in favor of Best Buy.  Love that corporate attitude which makes me predisposed not to consider buying Taylor again, though I like their products. 

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 02:07:11 PM »
... Gotta go and practice now....

Hey Jim,
When you go home and play your guitars, do you feel like you're taking your work home with you?   ;)
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
Nope. The truth is, I usually get my playing in "on the clock". Yes, it is a perk but that is contrasted by being a captive audience when others are in the shop trying guitars and their style isn't "my" style (don't get me wrong-I am extremely tolerant of other's playing at any level or style-I'm just sayin'). I am also in a couple of bands and they like to rehearse, and the best spot for rehearsal is my shop. By the time I have practiced and demonstrated guitars for the people, I am pretty much ready to not play anything and go home to do that. Add the occasional gig and I get my guitar (and banjo) fix pretty much all the time. If Allison Krause calls me and needs me to sharpen my chops because she needs my help with her band, I would re-arrange my schedule and practice at home too.... 8)
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336