Author Topic: Why is Taylor so polarizing?  (Read 29237 times)

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
Why is Taylor so polarizing?
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
It seems that after exploring other forums in the past few days, Taylor is either love/hate with some people.  While I personally prefer Taylor over other brands, I don't like to talk bad about other manufacturers, as they are getting people playing music, which is great IMHO.  So why is it that Taylor seems to get so much heat when brought up in conversation with guitar "purist"?
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
Re: Why is Taylor so polarizing?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 07:58:22 PM »
I think you get the same kind of thing with any guitar snob, no matter what the brand.  You get the same kind of situation with other objects...such as...oh...motorcycles.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 08:06:04 PM »
I know, but it seems Taylor really get their share, and then some.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

Ed422

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
IMO, there are a couple reasons...

Bringing CNC manufacturing to high(er) end guitars

Introducing neck profiles targetted towards electric players switching to acoustic

Introducing a new EQ profile to acoustic guitars...  some call it "thin and reedy".  More emphasis on string separation and mid-highs and less on thumpy bass.

All of the re-designs.

And , gosh darn it, they don't follow the Martin standard designations.  (lol)

........  I really think it has to do with the total departure from tradition, and to some extent, thumbing their noses at it.

Ed

Taildragger

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
Yup, guitars, motorcycles, guns, and politics. They are all touchy subjects.

I think there are a lot of different aspects to the polarization. Martin is steeped in tradition, and Taylor is still a comparatively new guy on the block who is now matching sales with, and in some respects dictating Martin design decisions with the announcement of the Performing Artist series. Sure, there are differences, but they have Taylor written all over them!

Ultimately, who cares! Play what you like and encourage others to play what they like as well!

-mike

forhim

• With All Our Might
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
I heard a story from Kenny at Texas Guitar Workshop about Taylor not being taken seriously at the Grand Ol Oprey for the longest time.  They were strict traditionalists, apparently favoring Martin, Gibson and whatever else traditionally was used. 

Probably has a lot to do with the mechanization of the  Taylor line...which I totally don't mind.  I acquired a Taylor 414ce-LTD from a fellow forum member (thanks Boon) that is a stellar guitar.  It is now my only guitar...I gifted my 99 614 to my lead guitarist...I'm so happy I was able to do that.  He now has it to call his own and I don't have to carry two guitars for our acoustic worship sets...lol

:)

Oh, and he totally has no issue with Taylor either.

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »
Why is Taylor so polarizing?

This is actually a testimony to excellence.  Most any truly successful organization, be it sports team or company, will invoke strong feelings pro and con.  In true excellent fashion, Taylor doesn't take their detractors too seriously.  They just keep inovating and trying to make the acoustic guitar world a better place.  They don't rest on past accomplishments and aren't afraid to question themselves when they think something can be improved. 
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »
It seems that after exploring other forums in the past few days, Taylor is either love/hate with some people.  While I personally prefer Taylor over other brands, I don't like to talk bad about other manufacturers, as they are getting people playing music, which is great IMHO.  So why is it that Taylor seems to get so much heat when brought up in conversation with guitar "purist"?

You know, I thought I would take a shot at your question. My other interest is classic Fords and I have often smiled while reading guitar posts as to how similar the Martin -vs- Taylor thing is to posts I see on car forums discussing Ford -vs- Chevy. I think it is human nature for some folks to find a product they like (whatever that product may be - guitar, car, etc.) and want to become competitive with other brands in that same genre. So, I don't think this is anything unique to Taylor guitars but just typical competitive behavior that some humans exhibit with the gadgets they like! Just my $0.02 :)
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »
i agree with Scriptor

imho, Taylor is a company that refuses to do things the way they've always been done -
the tone, playability, feel, aesthetics, build processes are constantly refined, redefined & always ever-changing

the GA, UV finish, sapele & ovangkol, Fishman OnBoard pre-amps, NT neck, 'monkey-butt' deluxe cases,
01 900 series, NS, Taylor tuners, ES, 100/200s, T5, GS, T3, SB, X16ce, BTO, GS mini, 11 900 & PS series ...

i don't believe that there is another builder that has made as many changes &
brought as many new ideas, concepts, instruments to the table in such a short time &
i feel that other builders have taken notice & have 'taken a page from their playbook'

to have a presence that evokes such strong emotions, pro or con, is good -
it keeps things interesting, new & refreshing ... not just the 'same-old, same-old' :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
All the above has summed it up, IMHO.  One can never discount the power of resentment.  Yeah, sad, but lots of folks seem to naturally fall in to resenting the successful.   Whether in sports, music, tech, business, whatever: the higher one rises in mainstream success, the larger the red bulls-eye grows.  I do believe that's the unfortunate nature of many a person, and it's as if we have to resist the initial, seemingly-reflex response, against the successful and look at the real merits of said individual (or company), and only then draw our conclusions from objective data and real outcomes.  But lets face it, that takes mental energy and maturity ...facets I fall short of daily!  :)

Ok, enough philophizing so early in the am ...gotta get a cup o joe to kick-start the day!  :D

Edward

Terry

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
Human nature for some folks  to tear down the things they don't have to enhance the perceived value of what they do possess.
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much. .."
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
The world is filled with excellent guitars and superb makers. Just the same, Taylor has never been afraid of being their own style of guitar, and some people like them, some don't. As noted above, this has taken them far and they have a solid record of innovation. One of their strengths is their "big picture" approach not only to the guitars but to the entire scope of the guitar business. They are a shining example of the wisdom of moral soundness. They lead the way in responsible fair trade practices and set the pace for resource stewardship. I believe this approach will matter more and more as time goes on. Consumers are more conscious of the practices of companies whose products they buy. By following a "best practices" approach to all aspects of their business, they assure themselves of a loyal customer base for years to come. It is pretty easy for me to be an advocate of a product that sets standards like these. Like them or not, Taylor runs a tight ship and a just and fair business.
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

dkoloff

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 08:22:32 PM »
IMO, there are a couple reasons...

Bringing CNC manufacturing to high(er) end guitars

Introducing neck profiles targetted towards electric players switching to acoustic

Introducing a new EQ profile to acoustic guitars...  some call it "thin and reedy".  More emphasis on string separation and mid-highs and less on thumpy bass.

All of the re-designs.

And , gosh darn it, they don't follow the Martin standard designations.  (lol)

........  I really think it has to do with the total departure from tradition, and to some extent, thumbing their noses at it.

Ed

Ed,

Think you hit on it.....even though tradtional in some senses the reasons stated have made them have less "snob appeal".
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

Andromeda

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
Before I purchased my first Taylor I heard so much misinformation. People told me they were built too thin and were prone to cracking. Thank goodness I didn't listen!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:05:58 PM by UTGF-Team »
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

DMBfan41

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 08:46:22 PM »
A ton of good reasons here already.  Innovators are normally not well-received at first.

Coming from a martial arts background, it is often said that "time will either promote you or expose you".  I believe this applies here with Taylor guitars as well.

Price doesn't make them anymore acceptable but you get what you pay for.  You want a quality product that exhibits superb sound that will stand the test of time, the elements, and playing?  Then pay for it.  If not, buy accordingly. 

Taylor has a consistent product that is being seen more and more in the public entertainment arena.  There is a reason for that.  However, I didn't purchase my first guitar because of an endorsing artist.  I purchased it because I wanted the best my money could buy.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat