Author Topic: fingerboard  (Read 5790 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
fingerboard
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
Starting to see a crack in the fingerboard on the 16th fret.  I clean and put lemon oil on these(all my guitars) babies once a year, keep the room at 45% humidity.  Is it anything I should be concerned about or is it just normal aging?? :o
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
Re: fingerboard
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »
You've got nine guitars listed in your signature.

Can you narrow it down a bit? Maybe post a photo?

My initial response is that, no, this isn't "normal aging". A fingerboard shouldn't crack...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:27 PM »
Ok, Here is a photo of the finger board crack.  Cracks are at the 14 through the 16th frets

The cedar has really darkened nicely.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »
Is your action holding good? No new buzzes or rattles? Do the fret ends seem sharper than you remember? Ebony can be a squirrelly wood. I f you have a shop you trust, let them look at it.
If the cracks are deep(more than half the fingerboard thickness) or appear to be getting wider it needs pro attention.A good tech can pull those frets, fill the cracks and make them almost invisible.( they're still there ,just can't see them) If you have a Dampit tube humidifier, try laying it alongside the neck on top of the accessory compartment for several days. A soundhole humidifier can't hurt either.  It may take several days attention to see a difference. That sure looks like a low humidity crack to me.It's hard to diagnose a picture.
Check out Bob Taylor's video on re-humidifying a guitar.It'll blow you away.
Steve
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:27:57 PM by S MS Picker »
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:17:57 PM »
Is your action holding good? No new buzzes or rattles? Do the fret ends seem sharper than you remember?
The action is still good(has not changed), no buzzing, BUT the fret wire ends do seem sharper.

Check out Bob Taylor's video on re-humidifying a guitar.It'll blow you away.
yes I have seen it.  I try to take care to humidify my play room, keep it at 45-50% humidity

shorty

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »
From your image this guitar appears to be your 514. With the koa rosette it would be a few years old (not that it really means anything pertaining to the problem but you have owned this for a while) If your fret ends appear sharp you may want to try a new hygrometer, perhaps it is providing you with a false reading? just a thought...

randyc

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »
I'm curious as to why this guitar isn't back at the factory already  ;)

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »
First, that ain't normal. That's not even approaching normal.

For years, I've heard people talking about how their guitar problems couldn't possibly be due to humidity, since they're vigilant about keeping it at that magical 45-50% level. Well, that's all well and good, but too many people simply think they can maintain that humidity and everything will be fine. They don't check their guitars from time to time.

Second, if I were to make a wager, I would bet that the fretboard has dried out. Yes, I read about the lemon oil and the humidity levels. The fretboard dried out despite those. Those cracks didn't occur overnight. Those cracks happened over time...

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »

Second, if I were to make a wager, I would bet that the fretboard has dried out.

I agree.  If you look at the close-up photo of the fretboard, it looks like the frets are extending slightly beyond the sides of the fretboard, a sign that the wood has contracted due to loss of moisture.  I would get this guitar rehydrated immediately before cracks start forming in other areas of the guitar.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

randyc

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »
Maybe a piece of "green" ebony sneaked into the production line ... happens from time to time even in highly-controlled quality environments.

Iplay2

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »
Wow...I have never seen that before! 

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »
Wow...I have never seen that before!

I have.

And everytime I have it's been on a dry guitar...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 08:10:45 AM »
Thanks for a the comments.
From your image this guitar appears to be your 514
This is a 514ce, it is a 2003.  I picked it up a a pawn shop a month ago.  I also have a 2007 514, the 2003 is not he one I have listed in my signature.
When I got it I did not notice the cracks, and not sure they were when they appeared. 
f you look at the close-up photo of the fretboard, it looks like the frets are extending slightly beyond the sides of the fretboard
The fret wires so seem to be sharp on the edges.  So I am going to humidify it as much a I can to see if I can help it out.
For years, I've heard people talking about how their guitar problems couldn't possibly be due to humidity, since they're vigilant about keeping it at that magical 45-50% level. Well, that's all well and good, but too many people simply think they can maintain that humidity and everything will be fine. They don't check their guitars from time to time.
Now I am concerned about all my other guitars, they don't seem to have any signs of drying but I am going to get a hygrometer for the guitar case, and monitor all my guitars in the case.

Thanks everyone!

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »
I wouldn't be too concerned about your other guitars; you've only had this guitar a month and that crack is a result of loooooong term low humidity.

-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Satsuki

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »
You should use Boiled Linseed oil on your fretboard. You wipe it on and wipe it off. The Boiled Linseed will dry. The Lemon oil is just mineral oil with a lemon scent added does not dry. The Boiled Linseed it a great treatment for wood.