Author Topic: Checking in from Seattle  (Read 4295 times)

markallen

Checking in from Seattle
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
Hi Gang,

It's great to be part of this new group and I'm really impressed with the great job Josh is doing with it.

I've been around music of some type or the other most of my life, but never really played an instrument. When I turned 45 I decided to learn how to play guitar (after deciding NOT to learn piano) and made an attempt to find something that worked. I pretty much tinkered off and on and never really dedicated myself fully. Fast forward 5 years and last summer I attended California Coast Music Camp for a week and it completely changed my outlook on guitar. The staff and campers were so incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and patient it was unbelievable. I came home with an ignited passion and have progressed further in the past 6 months than in the previous 6 years.

When I'm not practicing guitar, I'm either sitting in some of the worst commuter traffic in the country as I commute 100 miles round trip each day, or I'm spending time running a mid size full color commercial printing company. They say, "Ink gets in your blood", which in my case must be true as I've done the same thing now for 34 years. Kids are grown and on their own. Mama and I live on 5 acres in a home we designed and built ten years ago. We enjoy volunteering at church and local community theatres.

Learning guitar has acted as a huge stress reducer for me as it lets me escape from the daily hustle and bustle. I have several guitars and a new 2011 Fall Ltd Koa GA on order. Yes, I'll post pictures when it arrives.

Thanks again to Josh for this wonderful place.

Cheers,
Mark

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Checking in from Seattle
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:51:31 PM »
Mark so glad that you're apart of this!  :)

Is it rainy in Seattle all the time???

-Josh
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

markallen

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »
The short answer is YES!

Statistically in the Puget SOund Region (Seattle, Tacoma. Everett) there is some type of measurable rainfall 300 days per year. Now that may just be a slight drizzle, but rain non the less. Washington State is also home to (i believe) the only rainforest in the country which is out on the coast.

Is there such a thing as "weather related depression"? You can decide for yourself, but I don't think it's any coincidence that Seattle also has the highest per capita rate of suicide in the country - Yuk!

Mark so glad that you're apart of this!  :)

-Josh

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. :) When I think of heavy commuter traffic, somehow Seattle doesn't come to mind. ;D The I-95 corridor near here gets pretty slow during peak rush hours. >:(

The music camp sounds intriguing. Was it just for adults or did they offer it to kids, too? What types of things were covered if I may ask?
Cindy

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:06:38 AM »
Mark - that's the longest commute I've ever heard of - yikes! Really looking forward to your pix of your new 2011 Fall Ltd Koa GA when it arrives. Welcome to the forum!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »
hi mark,

good to see you here :)

thanks for sharing about yourself -
i can definitely relate to those kind of commutes (been stuck in 'em 1 hr 45 min one way, at times) &
the odd thing is i've found when i moved further away, the miles went up but the time went down ???

any interesting print jobs you'd care to mention -
my sister is in a related field & has been a sales rep for a paper company for a good number of
years, even as the companies she has worked for have been bought, sold, merged & renamed

enjoy the place :D

WELCOME !
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

DMBfan41

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »

-Josh

LOL.  I was thinking the same thing.  Always heard that.

Welcome Mark!
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 06:45:50 PM »
Welcome aboard Mark... I enjoyed reading your introduction.  Sounds as if you have a ncie gutiar on the way.  I especially enjoyed the part about going to the Music Camp.  You know, sometimes the right person and right environment is all it takes to ignite a passion within.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:59:26 PM »
Wecome.  Congrats on the upcoming NGD.  I hope we get piuctures ;D
Boone

My Taylor's: