Author Topic: IDOL...  (Read 16742 times)

SMan

Re: IDOL...
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
As I mentioned before, don't underestimate the young girl vote.  I thinks that may favor Phil.  Worked well for Scotty.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »
Don't be a hater because Joshua is gone!!! :)

Oh, I'm not.

If you've read my posts on the topic for any length of time, you'll see that my opinion of Phillips has been pretty constant for quite some time now.

I've never said he's not good. I've never said he shouldn't be able to make a living in the business. What I do say is that someone who wins American Idol should be more than a one-trick pony.

That term describes Phillips. It doesn't describe Sanchez...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 08:16:17 AM »
Unlike the actual "American Idol" results show, I don't intend to keep you in suspense about the winner with two hours of filler. After 132 million votes cast, the 11th winner of the juggernaut reality competition is ...

Phillip Phillips.

It was great to see John Fogerty perform with Phillip.  Plus he was playing what looked like to me to be a 710ce, or maybe a 510ce, I could not get a good look at the side material so I am not sure.  The rest of the performers were not that interesting to me. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:33:15 AM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2012, 09:30:46 AM »
Phillip got it!!  Haters are gonna hate!!  Jessica Sanchez IS and AWESOME singer and will have a great career.  Glad to see that Phillip took this one.  It's pretty cool to have someone unique win AI.  I know one person is gonna start screaming Dave Matthews, but I think it's time for some more artists like DMB.  I am a big Jack Johnson, DMB, John Mayer fan and think another artist to join their ranks will pretty cool.
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
It's pretty cool to have someone unique win AI.

"Someone unique"?

You mean like the last four winners of American Idol? A white guy with a guitar? That kind of "unique".

Phillips is a talented guy, but he's hardly unique, and he's hardly original.

Sanchez is a far better singer; there's no way that can even be argued.

I'll say it again: This stopped being a "talent" contest a loooooong time ago. It's a popularity contest where people can vote multiple times.

I would like to see voting take place online only and, in order to vote, you'd have to register to vite every week, and you would get only one vote per week.

So, congrats to Phillips, but he's nothing special...

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
I can honestly say I've never been to a "diva singer's club", much less gone to one often enough to know what's considered normal.

Calling Phillips "unique" is laughable. First, he's a Matthews wanna-be. Second, the last three winners of Idol were white guys who played guitar. He's a talented kid, but he's not, by any stretch of the imagination, "unique".

Compared vocally, it's not even a contest. Sanchez is, hands down, the better singer. Phillips had a couple moments this season that I really enjoyed but, to be totally honest, I'm surprised that he won.

Then again, teenage girls with cell phones and unlimited texting are surely a force to be reckoned with...

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
I'm glad he won.  I couldn't stand Jessica.  Not that she's bad...but I definitely felt that Phil was better artistically etc.

Yup he is a white guy with a guitar, but there are tons of white guys with guitars that all sound different.  Phil doesn't even sound close to the last 4 white guys with guitars.

Sanchez would have done better if she could have controlled her vibrato better...every time she sang and held out a note...the vibrato kicked into high gear.

Steve...You hit the nail on the about the teenage girls and unlimited texting.  haha  ;D

BUT how about the exposure for Taylor?  I noticed he used a number of models during the last couple of rounds.   ;)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »
I'm glad he won.  I couldn't stand Jessica.  Not that she's bad...but I definitely felt that Phil was better artistically etc.

Yup he is a white guy with a guitar, but there are tons of white guys with guitars that all sound different.  Phil doesn't even sound close to the last 4 white guys with guitars.

Sanchez would have done better if she could have controlled her vibrato better...every time she sang and held out a note...the vibrato kicked into high gear.

Steve...You hit the nail on the about the teenage girls and unlimited texting.  haha  ;D

BUT how about the exposure for Taylor?  I noticed he used a number of models during the last couple of rounds.   ;)

I agree on all accounts.  I personally wish the top two would have been Joshua and Phillip.  My memory does not serve all the time, so help out, did Scotty McCreary play guitar?
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »

I doubt that prepubescent girls with unlimited texting really took notice, and no guitar players are going to decide to switch to Taylor because Phillips played them.

yeah, it's nice exposure, and Tim Godwin should be congratulated for the job he's done, but let's not act like sales are gonna' double because Phil Phillips polays Taylors...

;)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »

I doubt that prepubescent girls with unlimited texting really took notice, and no guitar players are going to decide to switch to Taylor because Phillips played them.

yeah, it's nice exposure, and Tim Godwin should be congratulated for the job he's done, but let's not act like sales are gonna' double because Phil Phillips plays Taylors...

;)
yep

for some reason, a PPSM may  not have as great a draw as other models ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2012, 11:06:21 AM »
I have learned that this years American Idol had for the first time not been the number one rated show on tv.