Author Topic: IDOL...  (Read 16739 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: IDOL...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 09:15:09 AM »
Ok, so now I think it is down to a popularity contest.  The bottom three for this week were all fantastic.  Jessica was voted off, but saved, with a bit of theatrics from the judges. 

Joshua I thought did one of his best performances of the contest this year, but was put into the bottom three, now that was crazy.

I am ready for Skylar to go, I am not into her style, but a lot of people must be.  I will say I like last years Scotty McCreery much more than Skylar. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
Ok, so now I think it is down to a popularity contest. 

Well, yeah. That's how the show is designed...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
So are your saying it has nothing to do with talent?
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with talent.  My wife said that she is not that big of a fan of Jessica.  She admits that the girl is an amazing singer but she just doesn't fit into any genre 100%.  I personally think everyone just assumes her and Josh are safe and votes for their other picks.  I think that is what happened to Pia last year.  I like Phillip Phillips a lot, but the Dave Matthews impressions are starting to get routine!!  I have to pull for Colton myself because Murfreesboro is only 43 miles from our town.
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 01:46:33 PM »
At this point I have to say they do all have talent.  I also think if one of them has a off night, picks a bad song, that they very well may end up in the bottom. 

Phillip I don't believe will win because of his  unwillingness to change to show his abilities. 
Hollie and Jessica probably won't win because they just don't have the ability to excite, they can hit those notes very well, but they are easily forgotten when it is time to vote.
Skylar has only one style in my opinion, but that caters to a huge group of people, so she will have the votes.
Colton Now here is a possible winner, he is a really nice guy, so adults like him, he has the look, the voice so even younger people like him.
Elise She won't win because really there is nothing special about her, I do think she is very talented and can sing very well, but that is not enough.
Joshua Another possible winner.  Why in the world he was in the bottom 3 this week I don't know, he had a stellar performance.

This is all based on personal taste in music, although I am right(LOL just kidding)

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »

Well, I didn't say that but, since you brought it up, no, it really doesn't; at least not at this point. Whether someone stays or goes or ends up in the "bottom three" is determined by people who, by and large, wouldn't know "talent" if it fell on them.

Take that DeAndre kid. If longevity on the show was determined by talent, he'd have been gone a long time ago. In comparison to others on the show (even some who were booted before him), he sucked. He never would've lasted as long as he did if it was based on talent. But he was a good lookin' 17 year old kid that the teeny-booper crowd swooned over, simply because they thought he was cute. Whether he could sing or not didn't matter. He did his little hair flip and the girlies all ooohed and aaahed over him.

If it was going to be based on talent, the people who would be voting would be Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez, Steven Taylor and Jimmy Iovine. Those are the only people sitting there every week who have actual experience in the industry, and who have the requisite background to determine who's "got it" and who doesn't.

It sure wouldn't be left up to 14 year old girl with a cell phone and unlimited texting...

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »
Phillip I don't believe will win because of his  unwillingness to change to show his abilities.

And because the world only really needs one Dave Matthews...

Hollie and Jessica probably won't win because they just don't have the ability to excite, they can hit those notes very well, but they are easily forgotten when it is time to vote.

Hollie's just not a dynamic performer. I'm surprised she's still breathing in this one. I think Jessica's got the pipes. Unfortunately, and at the risk of sounding like a raging racist, I don't believe that America's youth (those who likely vote more than any other bloc) will vote for a Filippino when it comes right down to it. I think she's one of the ones who deserves it, but I really don't see little Sally from Chugwater, Wyoming voting for her, simply because she's "different"...

Skylar has only one style in my opinion, but that caters to a huge group of people, so she will have the votes.

Agreed; the kid's got pipes, that's for sure. I hope she doesn't win, though, only because it seems like the country & western crowd has certainly been represented well with past winners.

Mix it up a little...

Colton Now here is a possible winner, he is a really nice guy, so adults like him, he has the look, the voice so even younger people like him.

For me, he screams "frontman". He's got a lot of the same qualities as Adam Lambert, but I think he needs to showcase those a bit more. If he does, I think he wins this one in a walk...

Elise She won't win because really there is nothing special about her, I do think she is very talented and can sing very well, but that is not enough.

Agreed...

Joshua Another possible winner.  Why in the world he was in the bottom 3 this week I don't know, he had a stellar performance.

He's been one of my faves since he did "When A Man Loves A Woman". That was just a stunning performance.

And, remember, all of these kids are in pretty good shape. They're all going on the tour, and many will come out of this in far better shape, financially, tahn when they went into it.

And, besides, winning guarantees nothing. When was the last time anyone here used the words "Ruben Studdard" in a sentence?

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »

Well, I didn't say that but, since you brought it up, no, it really doesn't; at least not at this point. Whether someone stays or goes or ends up in the "bottom three" is determined by people who, by and large, wouldn't know "talent" if it fell on them.

Take that DeAndre kid. If longevity on the show was determined by talent, he'd have been gone a long time ago. In comparison to others on the show (even some who were booted before him), he sucked. He never would've lasted as long as he did if it was based on talent. But he was a good lookin' 17 year old kid that the teeny-booper crowd swooned over, simply because they thought he was cute. Whether he could sing or not didn't matter. He did his little hair flip and the girlies all ooohed and aaahed over him.

If it was going to be based on talent, the people who would be voting would be Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez, Steven Taylor and Jimmy Iovine. Those are the only people sitting there every week who have actual experience in the industry, and who have the requisite background to determine who's "got it" and who doesn't.

It sure wouldn't be left up to 14 year old girl with a cell phone and unlimited texting...

You are correct on all points..   and just for the record I miss Simon, he said what he felt and never backed down, and was usually right.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »
but I really don't see little Sally from Chugwater, Wyoming voting for her

haha I live 75 miles from Chugwater.  It's a little hole in the wall town, known for its Chugwater Chilli powder mix.  Thats funny you would know of such a small town in the state I live in.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »
I think the judging panel, right now, is stellar.

You've got a guy who's done a lot of producing (not to mention touring with one of the biggest bands on the planet in their day), someone who's got the top 40 charts under her thumb, and someone who's seen the absolute best and the absolute worst the industry has to offer.

I'd actually like to see Steven Tylet get a bit more direct in his criticisms. While I can't say I miss the way Simon handled it, I do think that sugar-coating things too much serves no real purpose.

I'd like to see Tyler do one more season and then make way for another "rock star"...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 08:52:44 PM »
I'd actually like to see Steven Tylet get a bit more direct in his criticisms. While I can't say I miss the way Simon handled it, I do think that sugar-coating things too much serves no real purpose.

And I do believe they have purposely taken it to easy on the contestants.   The other thing is , Tyler has been ok but not a great critic, at times he seems a little spaced out and not interested, well.. maybe that actually says alot. 

How about Alice Cooper as the next judge.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »
Big surprise for me this week, when Colton was eliminated from competition.  He was someone who I thought would go to the finals, no doubt his bizare look was evident, but still I thought he had a bigger fan base. 

Phillip put away the Gibson guitar and used a Taylor 12 string this week and did not get put into the bottom three.  The judges really like him this week.    Maybe the Talyor gave him that little something extra that everybody liked.

Hollie was the one I thought would be going home, but she is still there in the running.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
Colton's future is a lock. They guy's going to be going on the Idol Tour, and he's definitely got the chops.

He'll be okay...

SMan

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »
Colton's future is a lock. They guy's going to be going on the Idol Tour, and he's definitely got the chops.

He'll be okay...

Agreed.  I also think he was a class act on how he took it.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »

He'll be okay...

Agreed.  I also think he was a class act on how he took it.
Ditto.  He took it like a pro. 
Steve I agree with you as well.  Colton looks very marketable.  As good as a couple of the others are, I thinking of Jessica, Hollie, Elise, I don't see the niche that they fill.  I don't see anything special about them except they sing very well.