Author Topic: About switching to stiffer strings?  (Read 1127 times)

Jannie

About switching to stiffer strings?
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:47 PM »
Taylor Grand Concert 3, it came with Light guage strings. After a lot of playing for maybe two months now, and after calling Taylor, I switched to EJ19 PB Medium/Light Bluegrass strings. What I've noticed is that it isn't just the sound I like better but the stiffness, it just feels more precise and clean. I am playing with fingers, no nails and have noticed I prefer playing with a capo on the second fret because of how it feels, the sound and I really like I guess you'd say the quickness and clean sound. When I take the capo off and play down at the first fret etc. or normal (?) it feels and sounds a little sloppy.

When I put in a call to Taylor support, I'd asked if the tension is okay with both the Bluegrass Med/Light's and if I tried Mediums and he said yes but that it would lift things a little and I might have to adjust the truss rod which when I went to the bluegrass strings only took a very small tweak.

Am I crazy or might I get that crispness and cleaner sound by going to medium tension strings all the way across, the idea of fatter strings under my fingertips also appeals to me but that's only a theory at this point.

Has anyone switched to medium strings for fingerstyle playing on a guitar like the Taylor Grand Concert? I find that they don't really seem harder to play than lights with the truss rod adjusted with the string height at the 12th fret at 6/64 and 4/64th's, at one point when I started with the guitar, I put on even lighter custom lights but quickly moved toward stiffer strings.

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
Re: About switching to stiffer strings?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
If you like the tonal balance of the 19's stick w/them.A set of 17's will more than likely give you about the same tone balance as the lights only louder.There's only a total difference of .003": 12/13   16/17  25/26 between 19,s and 17's and 10.5 lbs. tension difference.Then again, med and lt strings are a little cheaper than the split set.Then again , the only way to tell is slap a set on.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric