Author Topic: Gotoh tuning machines  (Read 8302 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Gotoh tuning machines
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »
I need to replace a tuning machine on my 714ce and am considering putting a new set of Gotoh 510s on it.  Does anybody know if that is possible and not leave any exposed screw holes on the head?  Will they even fit to start with?

I have 510s on my 716 LTD, but the guitar was set up that way at the factory.  I do simply love the 510s.  Since I need to replace anyway, I think it would make a nice upgrade.

Any help please.
Mike
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Iplay2

Re: Gotoh tuning machines
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »
1. Gotohs are worth every penny! I have had them on two guitars and LOVE them.

2.  What year is your 714ce?  The newer Ping/Taylor tuners are locking tuners and have no screw hole, so you will have to drill a hole for each of the Gotoh tuners.  Older Taylors with Ping tuners have a screw off to the side, which is in line with the majority of Gotoh tuner's screw holes on the market.  Even older Taylors with the Grover tuners have a hole directly below the tuner instead of off to the side.  You can find Gotoh's with the screw in the bottom like the Grovers, though they are harder to get and cost a bit more.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:50:52 AM by Iplay2 »

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »
What year is your 714ce?  The newer ones have locking tuners...

Whassat?
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
The Taylor I want to replace the tuners on is a 2011.  I don't see any screws on any of my other Taylors(including the 714) so there should be no problem reto-fitting with the 510s.  I hope.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:39:44 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Iplay2

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »

Whassat?

I am not sure what they are actually called, but they don't need a screw to stay in place. 

Iplay2

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:22:34 AM »
The Taylor want replace the tuners on is a 2011.  I don't see any screws on any of my other Taylors(including the 714) so there should be no problem reto-fitting the 510s.  I hope.

Yup, should be pretty easy.  You can find a bunch of threads on the AGF about putting on Gotohs.  Best advice I found was to measure how deep you want the hole, then put a piece of tape on your drill bit so you won't go any deeper than that when drilling your screw hole.  You sure don't want to go too deep and put a hole through the face of your headstock.

Roseadi

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »
Here's a post from the AGF. Sort of a "How to" in changing over to Gotohs.

Yes they do fit perfectly but you do have to drill holes. It's not as intimidating as it may seem though.(follow the link below to see how and NOT go too far with the drill) Pics are included!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143697

I changed over my 714ce a few years ago and would not consider going back. Gotohs are that good. BTW, I switched to the 1:21 ratio tuners and love the ease of accuracy but I don't do a lot of alternate tunings where the additional turns could be a pain.

I have the 1:18 Gotohs on my Lowden and really like them as well. They are all smooth as silk, and look good too!

Edit:
put a piece of tape on your drill bit so you won't go any deeper than that when drilling your screw hole
What Iplay2 said.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:32:45 AM by Roseadi »
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »
Thanks for the post Roseadi:  that link to AGF was just the ticket.  Looks like there will be indentions from the old tuners on the head stock, but it does not look to bad.  Searching around on the net there is nothing but rave reviews over the Gotohs
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:31:32 PM by mgap »

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
I did the replacement on mine and there were no visible indentations after the install.  I suspect it depends upon how tightly the tuners were installed originally.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »
Here's a post from the AGF. Sort of a "How to" in changing over to Gotohs.

Yes they do fit perfectly but you do have to drill holes. It's not as intimidating as it may seem though.(follow the link below to see how and NOT go too far with the drill) Pics are included!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143697

I changed over my 714ce a few years ago and would not consider going back. Gotohs are that good. BTW, I switched to the 1:21 ratio tuners and love the ease of accuracy but I don't do a lot of alternate tunings where the additional turns could be a pain.

I have the 1:18 Gotohs on my Lowden and really like them as well. They are all smooth as silk, and look good too!

Edit:
put a piece of tape on your drill bit so you won't go any deeper than that when drilling your screw hole
What Iplay2 said.

Roseadi, it SURE would be nice if you'd rewrite that post here for our forum! ;) IMHO it's the best post on how to change the tuners. :)
Cindy

Roseadi

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »
Your welcome mgap! As i explained in the post, the indentations were lighted to show them off for clarification purposes. As CJD said, it would vary depending on how tight they came from the factory. BTW, I really can't notice the indents unless I'm really looking close for it. And I do mean close!

Cindy, Thanks for the kind words. I will work on rebuilding the post this coming weekend and start a thread with a title that will work for searching. There are some edits and minor changes that I'd like to make anyway.
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »

Whassat?

I am not sure what they are actually called, but they don't need a screw to stay in place.
around 03 (some early models still had Grovers), the switch was made to Taylor branded tuners, which have a
'centering pin' ('locating post' ??? ) on the underside of the tuner body that eliminated the need for a set screw -
i'm not certain what the correct term is for the little post pin thingie either, but it does the job (no screws needed) :)

the 510s are exceptionally smooth tuners, with 'fluid' aesthetics, imho ... really nice :D
they're also available in locking versions too (shown with the hexhead key/allen wrench)
http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/

the most commonly used earlier Grovers, prior to 03, had a center set screw in the
6 o' clock position & it has been become more difficult to find the 'SC' model 510s :-\
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Results.asp?searchtext=gotoh
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »
Thumbsup to both the Gotoh 510s and to roseadi whose post maaannnny moons ago likewise help me get my set on.  Actually, that dang post of his nudge me to upgrade two of my taylors to gotohs.  Wait, and now come to think of it two other new guits have them already on!  I think this is a vast tune-ing conspiracy....

Edward

Bill R

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »
I was not as adventurous as some of us and had Goto 510's installed on my Taylor 610c (1995 model) for only $20 about 2 or 3 years ago.  I just bought the tuners on-line and took them and the guitar to my local shop which is an authorized Taylor dealer and repair shop.  The work was excellent as are the tuners.  I wouldn't have anything else on my guitars right now.  My point here is that getting the tuners installed on your guitar isn't very expensive - at least it wasn't for me.
Bill
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO