Author Topic: Hello from Washington, DC  (Read 3514 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Hello from Washington, DC
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »
Hello All:

Thought I'd post here and say hello.  I mostly lurk but every now and again I throw some thought out there.

I've been playing the guitar since I gave up the accordian at about age 8.  LOL.....if Weird Al had been around then I may have stuck to it and never discovered Taylor guitars.....

I played the Clarinet in middle and high school and then played it (badly) with a community band in Carlisle, PA and Huntsville, AL (my husband was in the Army so we moved........alot)  We even had a marching band at Carlisle, what fun that was!

I put away the Clarinet about 7 years ago when I went back to work full time and really didn't play much of anything.  In the spring of 2009 my dad got very sick and he passed away that August.  I spent many nights sitting on the LR couch thinking about him during that period and late one night (early one morning?) I picked up the Yamaha I had bought on a whim about 15 years earlier.  I sat thinking of him and strumming and was surprised how it came back to me so quickly.

I decided I wanted a "nicer" guitar so I started looking - didn't know about GAS then but I had it.  I went to GC and a couple of the local stores and played Gibsons, Martins, etc never sure of what to do.  I ended up at Chuck Levin's music store in MD and was playing in the acoustic room - thinking about spending around $1,000 and the guy there was going thru things with me and said "I have something to show you.... :o"  He went to the storeroom and came back with a case that was very cold, opened it and (cue the choir) took out the 2010 Fall LTD Koa.  I was like...... :-*  The sound of the Taylors just absolutely blew me away , my hubby came in the room and we left with the guitar in hand.

So, I've been taking lessons and playing regularly since that time and really enjoy it.  I would like to learn more but I know that involves practice so that's what I need to do.

I'm keeping my GAS under control for the time being and I am so glad Josh started this forum.  I really enjoy coming on here and reading everyone's thoughts and getting advice when I need it.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hello from Washington, DC
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
Well I'm glad you're here!  Welcome!  Make yourself at home!  ;)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum, TaylorPlayer516. :) I am very sorry to hear about your dad and hope you are handling the loss as best as possible. It's never easy. He helped mold you into who you are today so a part of him is still very much a part of your life.

Glad to hear you were able to get a guitar that spoke to you. Taylors do have a very unique sound--a sound which I happen to love. Kudos to your hubby as obviously he was very supportive in the decision to purchase the Koa Limited. 8) Nice to have you here with us! :D
Cindy

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 12:25:38 AM »
I'm also sorry, Taylorplayer516, to hear about your Dad. You know, it's a neat thing how music can help us heal when we have experienced the loss of someone close to us. I'll bet your picking up your Yamaha at that point in time was especially helpful by giving you something special to focus on and learning to create beautiful music with it.

I really enjoyed your story of how you came to find your 2010 Fall LTD Koa! Sounds like you and your special guitar found each other!

Welcome!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

rudals1281

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
Hello to there fellow Washingtonian! I am from No. VA~
2008 Taylor 614CE

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:14:04 PM »
HI TaylorPlayer516,  It is nice to read bios of our membership adn your bio was no different.  Sorry about the loss of your dad in 2009 and I know it is tough.  Your background indicates a lot of music and I know that has been a comfort.  You also have a great husband it appears as I read he supports you.  Welcome aboard.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
Sorry to here about your Dad.  I'm glad to see you made it here, and hope to get to know you better as this place grows.  Welcome.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

DMBfan41

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »

I've been playing the guitar since I gave up the accordian at about age 8.  LOL.....if Weird Al had been around then I may have stuck to it and never discovered Taylor guitars.....

Brush the dust from the accordion!  Ever hear any Mumford and Sons?  Really cool acoustic group that incorporates the accordion.  Great sound.

Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 02:01:09 AM »
hi TaylorPlayer516 :)

good to have you here

thank you for sharing about yourself -
i have a friend that was also a clarinet player

i'm glad that you have found interest in acoustic guitar &
i hope that you are finding this place enjoyable & comfortable -
please feel free to ask any questions you may have & we will
do our best to help provide information, suggestions or input

i noticed that you have a ukulele in your sig & i'm not trying to be a GAS enabler,
but the word is that Taylor will be offering a ukulele in the not-to-distant-future  :D

somehow, UAS doesn't have quite the same 'ring' to it ;)
WELCOME !
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 12:37:59 AM »

Brush the dust from the accordion!  Ever hear any Mumford and Sons?  Really cool acoustic group that incorporates the accordion.  Great sound.

VH1 is doing a Behind the Music on Weird All this weekend - I will check out Mumford and Sons.