Author Topic: NGD - 2011 Spring Limited - 12 GA LTD Macassar Ebony / Cedar  (Read 4817 times)

maritimer

• The Watermen
NGD - 2011 Spring Limited - 12 GA LTD Macassar Ebony / Cedar
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:54 AM »
Well the quest is over.

Thanks to Cigarfan (who recently bought the sibling to this one), he pointed me to a dealer who had another NOS Macassar / Cedar 12 Fret GA from the Spring 2011 series. I actually found several so I had a choice... which was nice! 

This guitar is stunningly beautiful.  A more detailed tone report to follow later this week as I get to know her.  I simply took her out of the case last night, tuned her to pitch, played a few things and put her back in the case.  I like to let new guitars acclimatize to the new home for a day before really starting to play. 

Initial observations... guitar is gorgeous.  Perfect build quality.  Bass is deeper than expected... pleasantly surprised.  Mid range is warm, rich with some punch.  high mids and trebles are subdued as compared to the traditional GA / x14 style and very much to my liking.  This is my 4th shortscale Taylor so I am used to the fantastic playability that that feature brings.  The 12 Fret join is terrific.  Quite a difference.  Fingerstyle this guitar comes alive.  Strumming / picking light to moderate is great.  I find the strings being light gauge and standard elixir's are not to my liking.  Some medium 80/20 phosphor bronze strings are going on tonight and I expect the guitar will come alive.  I had a GS shortscale with cedar / hog and the guitar transformed with medium 80/20 pb strings.  I expect the same with this one.

Many reviews I have read say that the GA LTD 12 fret is warm, woody, vintage sounding.  I concur.  It has this depth to it that is hard to explain.  I do liken the depth of bass much like a vintage 40's J45.  Not as overpowering or overbearing but deep, clear and enveloping.  Warm low mids and not muddy.  This thing is going to be unbelievable after a few years of break in!  That's what I love about cedar tops... after 3 - 4 years of playing, they really open up and IMO, do so faster than a similarly equipped spruce model. 

In any case.. more reports and pictures coming soon..
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:11:21 AM by maritimer »
Finally content with my guitar herd.  Well almost...

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
WooHooo !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »
So glad to hear the eagle has landed!  ;D ;D

Congrats on a wonderful addition to the family! And your description is spot on ... and, I might add, keeps getting better!

... dennis
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Re: NGD - 2011 Spring Limited - 12 GA LTD Macassar Ebony / Cedar
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:50:51 AM »
That sure is one nice looking guitar.  I hope you enjoy it!
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

maritimer

• The Watermen
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
Here's the back...

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »
Really nice sunburst. Enjoy!
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Iplay2

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »
Well the quest is over.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I always thought the quest was half the fun!  ;D

All kidding aside, congrats on the new Taylor.  She's a beauty.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
Well the quest is over.

Thanks to Cigarfan (who recently bought the sibling to this one), he pointed me to a dealer who had another NOS Macassar / Cedar 12 Fret GA from the Spring 2011 series. I actually found several so I had a choice... which was nice! 

This guitar is stunningly beautiful.  A more detailed tone report to follow later this week as I get to know her.  I simply took her out of the case last night, tuned her to pitch, played a few things and put her back in the case.  I like to let new guitars acclimatize to the new home for a day before really starting to play. 

Initial observations... guitar is gorgeous.  Perfect build quality.  Bass is deeper than expected... pleasantly surprised.  Mid range is warm, rich with some punch.  high mids and trebles are subdued as compared to the traditional GA / x14 style and very much to my liking.  This is my 4th shortscale Taylor so I am used to the fantastic playability that that feature brings.  The 12 Fret join is terrific.  Quite a difference.  Fingerstyle this guitar comes alive.  Strumming / picking light to moderate is great.  I find the strings being light gauge and standard elixir's are not to my liking.  Some medium 80/20 phosphor bronze strings are going on tonight and I expect the guitar will come alive.  I had a GS shortscale with cedar / hog and the guitar transformed with medium 80/20 pb strings.  I expect the same with this one.

Many reviews I have read say that the GA LTD 12 fret is warm, woody, vintage sounding.  I concur.  It has this depth to it that is hard to explain.  I do liken the depth of bass much like a vintage 40's J45.  Not as overpowering or overbearing but deep, clear and enveloping.  Warm low mids and not muddy.  This thing is going to be unbelievable after a few years of break in!  That's what I love about cedar tops... after 3 - 4 years of playing, they really open up and IMO, do so faster than a similarly equipped spruce model. 

In any case.. more reports and pictures coming soon..

OK. A month has past and I'm curious how things are going. Mine has spurred a whole new desire for another 12-fret.

Tell us how it's goin'

maritimer

• The Watermen
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
Well the love keeps growing!!  Not one bit of buyers remorse here, in fact, I have to admit I would love to add a spruce topped 12 fret to the stable!  Since picking this up, I did add a Taylor breakout box and K4 for live use and the amplified sound is fantastic.  The third generation of the ES is a terrific improvement over the first generation system and the K4 takes the sound up another few notches with the enhanced control and effects loop capabilities.

I have not played as much acoustic guitar as I have during in the last month than I have in the previous 4-5 months combined.  I am playing at least an hour and often 2 or more daily.  I pick the guitar up and before you know it, a couple of hours go by.  The guitar is by far the most inspirational guitar I have ever owned. 

To my pleasant surprise, the guitar has opened up more than I expected after 30-40 hrs of playing.  A bit more volume, sustain, richer trebles and more rounded sound but where it really opened up was in the mids.  The cedar and macassar combo yield an edgy grit that is really apparent when playing with a pick in the top three positions with the major G, A and D chords.  It is ridiculously addictive.  This guitar is definitely not your traditional GA /x14 sound.  Playability is second to none with the short scale. I don't know if it is the slotted head stock design but tuning stability is unmatched as compared to the dozens of guitars I have owned which include Martin, Gibson, Larrivee and 6 Taylors.  I last tuned it over as week ago and have 7 - 8 hours playing time.  Took it out of the case last night and it was spot on.  I have that with my F-Bass but never have had that with an acoustic.

The 12 fret gives the guitar an earthy / vintage, deep tone that is piano-clear and the guitar sounds much larger than it is.  The cedar top does break up with more aggressive strumming but I found a playing / strumming style that really gets the most out of the top.  A spruce topped 12 fret, although it wouldn't be as warm as with cedar, would most likely provide that additional headroom.... hence my growing GAS for a spruce topped cousin.   I understand through the rumour mill that Taylor is working on a 12 fret GS design.  I am afraid my GAS will be uncontrollable if / when that develops!!

Cheers!

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
What a beauty!  Thanks for the detailed reviews on the tone/playability. Some of your comments mirrored some of my initial reactions to my cedar top 812ce.  You found what you were looking for, and you jumped on it.  Well done; I wish you many years of happy playing with it! 
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 01:25:56 PM »
Well the love keeps growing!!  Not one bit of buyers remorse here, in fact, I have to admit I would love to add a spruce topped 12 fret to the stable!  Since picking this up, I did add a Taylor breakout box and K4 for live use and the amplified sound is fantastic.  The third generation of the ES is a terrific improvement over the first generation system and the K4 takes the sound up another few notches with the enhanced control and effects loop capabilities.

I have not played as much acoustic guitar as I have during in the last month than I have in the previous 4-5 months combined.  I am playing at least an hour and often 2 or more daily.  I pick the guitar up and before you know it, a couple of hours go by.  The guitar is by far the most inspirational guitar I have ever owned. 

To my pleasant surprise, the guitar has opened up more than I expected after 30-40 hrs of playing.  A bit more volume, sustain, richer trebles and more rounded sound but where it really opened up was in the mids.  The cedar and macassar combo yield an edgy grit that is really apparent when playing with a pick in the top three positions with the major G, A and D chords.  It is ridiculously addictive.  This guitar is definitely not your traditional GA /x14 sound.  Playability is second to none with the short scale. I don't know if it is the slotted head stock design but tuning stability is unmatched as compared to the dozens of guitars I have owned which include Martin, Gibson, Larrivee and 6 Taylors.  I last tuned it over as week ago and have 7 - 8 hours playing time.  Took it out of the case last night and it was spot on.  I have that with my F-Bass but never have had that with an acoustic.

The 12 fret gives the guitar an earthy / vintage, deep tone that is piano-clear and the guitar sounds much larger than it is.  The cedar top does break up with more aggressive strumming but I found a playing / strumming style that really gets the most out of the top.  A spruce topped 12 fret, although it wouldn't be as warm as with cedar, would most likely provide that additional headroom.... hence my growing GAS for a spruce topped cousin.   I understand through the rumour mill that Taylor is working on a 12 fret GS design.  I am afraid my GAS will be uncontrollable if / when that develops!!

Cheers!

Man-o-man! Our experience is so similar. I am so glad to hear you 2 are getting along so well!

I've got GASx2 going. An adi topped 12-fret but it has to be an exquisite Ziricote b/s. Hopefully this quest will take me some time. At least enough to save up the money.