Author Topic: I put lights on my GSmini and......  (Read 3270 times)

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
I put lights on my GSmini and......
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »
I put lights on my GSmini and it sounds great.  I lost a little volume, but it made playing alot easier on my fingers.  If anyone is tempted to try it, I highly recommend it.  If I'm planning on playing with a group of others, I'll bring my 814ce, so losing the volume doesn't really matter to me, it's more about comfort.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

LindaLoo

• Lefty from across the pond
    • Home of the Automated Taylor Guitars BTO Spreadsheet
Re: I put lights on my GSmini and......
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
Ooh, I bet they're pretty...

....Oh.  :-[ :-[

Seriously though, I've put lights on mine and I'm happy with the results.  I just play on the couch so volume isn't really an issue for me.

Hoping that one day a Taylor 1 11/16" 12 fret Grand Concert will be a BTO possibility! :)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
Ooh, I bet they're pretty...

....Oh.  :-[ :-[

LOL....I was thinking the same thing.....lights on a guitar????  Oh.....!

andyi5

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
Before long, someone is going to go to the trouble of decking out their guitar with fairy lights as a response to thread titles about lights!

Although I've presently got uncoated mediums on my GSmini, I put a set of Elixir pb lights on a few months back and they sounded great. My next set will probably be 80-20 nano lights.

Even though official advice on the GSmini is that mediums work best with the scale length, the lights also sound very good. I seem to recall Bob T being asked somewhere if it would be a problem switching to lights on a 100 series guitar, and his answer was that the guitar will still sound great, it'd just lose a bit of volume and have more of an intimate sound. My experience on the GSmini is just the same. In fact sometimes the intimate sound is a bonus, for instance if you're using it as a travel guitar and playing late night in your hotel room etc.