Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 3596 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Hi everyone!
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »
I thought I’d introduce myself since many of you don’t know me. Music has always been a part of my life. Growing up I played the piano, flute, and piccolo, and when I was in junior high, I used my allowance to purchase my first guitar. I can’t even remember the brand, but at $29 new, it couldn’t have been one of the major ones! ::) I learned a few chords and how to pick melodies, but it’s hard to learn from a book. Fifteen to twenty years later that guitar was sold at a yard sale…and still had the original strings on it (at least the ones that didn’t break). ;D

I hold a degree in Music Education although currently I am a caregiver for my mother (which is a 24/7 job). While in college I learned all the instruments in a band and orchestra, but when I asked why they didn’t teach guitar, he wasn't too happy. During my college years, I experienced my first problem with tennis elbow; over twenty-five years later, the problem has come back worse than ever so it limits everything I do…including playing my Taylors. I’ve also completed Commissioned Lay Pastor studies through a Presbyterian seminary, and one day I hope to pursue work in the church. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:09:23 AM by Cindy »
Cindy

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »
Wow, your bio is alot better than mine....time to hit the edit button.  Good to meet you Cindy!
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 12:05:41 AM »
hi Cindy,

thanks for sharing so much about yourself :)

it really is a small world =
my mom had all of us taking piano lessons when we were little &
looking back i wish she didn't allow me option to not continue.

she had a music/teaching degree from UC Berkeley & played piano/organ -
she was the worship leader for our church, way before the term was even coined

i used to play tennis as well -  i was on the high school team for a year, way back when,
(my mom & dad played too) but i can't remember the last time i picked up a racquet

i hope your mom is doing well & i'm sure she realizes how much you love her -
i wish you the best & i know that He will lead you where He wants you to be

the worship leader at the church i used to run sound for recently moved from NC to lead in SoCal -
i knew him all of 3 months, but where he's at now, i know that where he's supposed to be
this chris tomlin song i can really relate to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeR_rBk84MQ

hope to get to know you & everyone else here better :D

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:11:57 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:28:02 AM »
Thank you for your nice bio, Cindy. I am awestruck by anyone who can learn to play so many different instruments while I find it a big challenge to just do one! I also can sympathize with dealing with your elbow. I slipped on the ice and tore my right rotator cuff last February and getting my arm over my guitar in a pain-free way is sorta a challenge now. And speaking of challenges, being a 24/7 caregiver for your Mom is a big one. She is lucky to have such a wonderful, loving and caring daughter like you!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:02:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing Cindy,

Just reading your bio gave me a lift for the day.....

Gary
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »
Thank you for all of the kind responses! :) When I learned all the instruments I can say, hands down, the bassoon was my least favorite, but having to learn it gave me a much greater respect for bassoon players!!! Wow was it a difficult instrument to learn. No wonder my high school band only had one bassoonist! :o

The tennis elbow injury is a part of my daily life now. One of our forum members PM'd me about a procedure which I will pursue as I've exhausted all other medical possibilities. I'm also perusing info about energy healing...using the hands to heal. There are a number of eastern approaches to this, but after looking into it, surprisingly there are also western methods...one of which is more biblically based: Healing Touch Spiritual Ministry.

Michael, there was a study done using MRI's which showed a 5 percent greater volume in the musicians’ cerebellums vs non-musicians (page 2 of this PDF download contains the quote). Now whether or not the brain of an adult changes when learning music is something I don't know and wasn't mentioned in the article or if it has to do with how the brain develops during childhood. At least you were able to learn music as a kid. Sometimes it's easier to learn about music when exposed to it as a kid rather than learning about it as an adult. I think it's because as kids we were expected to learn--all through school we had to learn--and it seems as children many of us had much more patience to learn in general rather than now as adults. At least that's how I feel...YMMV.  :)
Cindy

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »
Hi Cindy, taking care of a parent is indeed difficult and I'm sending thoughts your way to give you the strength you need.

I had tennis elbow and it really affected my playing the clarinet.  I ended up with several cortisone shots and finally surgery which for me relieved it and I have not had any issues.  Good luck with yours, it is a very frustrating condition especially when it interferes with something you love.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
hi Cindy,

thanks for sharing the links - i found them to be quite interesting

also, i can't help think that young children are pretty much fearless & that unless they've been told they can't do something,
they'll try it first to see if they can, hopefully provided it is safe & will not result in possibility of permanent bodily injury -
by that i mean, they aren't afraid to make mistakes & they aren't afraid to try new things thinking they might make a mistake

there may be even the possilbility that one is born with the knowledge & ability to do everything that they will be able to do &
that is due to their taking the initiative, & at other times the result of certain circumstances that may seem to be a 'road-block'
at first, to where what they have 'always been able to do' comes out, as it is developed & refined - i believe we were all made
unique in this respect in that we were all made to do something & it is in the way that we do it is what defines who we are

any way, i hope that that you have a full & complete recovery & that your journey is nothing less than a glorious one :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »
Hey Cindy,

It sure was good reading about where you've been and where you are now.  I commend you for the love you give your mom in providing for her needs.  I like your desire of future goals as well. I agree in faith with you for your healing.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16