Author Topic: Who gets to be a Taylor Tech  (Read 3086 times)

forhim

• With All Our Might
Who gets to be a Taylor Tech
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
I live in South Texas near the TX/Mexico border and the closest Taylor tech (authorized) is approximately 300 miles north of me.  Granted if the acoustic market was higher down here there would be a tech...but this usually requires a shop, overhead etc.

This is what i propose...

Can Taylor fly me to El Cajon for a training session?  I'll hang a shingle and do Taylor tech work without having a shop...no overhead on my part.  I think that would be cool and it would cover the geographic gap that now exists.

Brian from Taylor...are you there??

Iplay2

Re: Who gets to be a Taylor Tech
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 05:42:23 PM »
I know that there aren't many of them out there, which I hope means they are pretty stringent about who gets to be one.  The closest one to me is about a 3 hour drive one way.  I would almost rather just send it to Taylor and have the work done there.

Here is a list of all their repair locations:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/dealers/Repair-Centers/

InsideOut

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:00:42 AM »
Sounds like something you should be contacting Taylor about. 

Are you a qualified guitar repair person already?  I think one of the main things you probably need is a uv finish booth.  That keeps a lot of repair shops from taking on Taylor repairs that they normally do on other brand guitars.  Other than finish and electronics, there isn't much on a Taylor that a normal shop can't do.
I have enough, but can always make room for more.

resonator48

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »
I know that there aren't many of them out there, which I hope means they are pretty stringent about who gets to be one.  The closest one to me is about a 3 hour drive one way.  I would almost rather just send it to Taylor and have the work done there.

Here is a list of all their repair locations:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/dealers/Repair-Centers/

Taylor isn't as "stringent" as you may think. There's a Taylor Authorized Service in my area that I wouldn't let work on any guitar. He's messed up a couple repairs/setups that I directly know of. This is the same tech that wanted to fix my brand new Gretsch Brian Setzer hollow body by running a screw through the Bigsby spring cup and into the top of the guitar. When all he had to do was move the tailpiece that holds the Bigsby to the lower bout (end pin) over 1/8". It was off center. Oh, by the way, this guy is also an Authorized Fender Service Center. Believe me, you better check into anyone before turning your guitar over for repairs and make sure they a highly recommended.

forhim

• With All Our Might
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »
good tips...

InsideOut

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 06:37:46 PM »
I didn't fully answer you question.  I know at times, repair techs and salespeople have visited the factory for educational purposes.  I really don't know any details.  If I remember, it was in a Wood & Steel, but I couldn't tell you which issue.
I have enough, but can always make room for more.

Iplay2

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
Taylor isn't as "stringent" as you may think. There's a Taylor Authorized Service in my area that I wouldn't let work on any guitar. He's messed up a couple repairs/setups that I directly know of. This is the same tech that wanted to fix my brand new Gretsch Brian Setzer hollow body by running a screw through the Bigsby spring cup and into the top of the guitar. When all he had to do was move the tailpiece that holds the Bigsby to the lower bout (end pin) over 1/8". It was off center. Oh, by the way, this guy is also an Authorized Fender Service Center. Believe me, you better check into anyone before turning your guitar over for repairs and make sure they a highly recommended.

Good lord.  Well like I said, I think I would rather just send my guitar in to Taylor and have them do the work.  It does cost a little for shipping, but its worth it to me in the end.