Author Topic: Taylor Case/Checked Luggage  (Read 11694 times)

basalt beach

Re: Taylor Case/Checked Luggage
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 11:06:21 PM »
I learned that at some airports locations, Southwest Airlines actually carries musical instruments out the plane and does not use the traditional luggage belt system to load the plane.  This was explained to me by them.  I am not sure they do this everywhere, but suggest you could ask ahead of time how they handle musical instruments as checked luggage. 

That said, I have flown, with my Taylor a half dozen times and the case did it's job.  though i admit, i did worry a bit each time...good luck!
Bourgeois | Northwood| Rainsong OM | Voyage Air OM-2

the tragedy in life is not what you suffer, the tragedy in life is what you miss!

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »
Take a copy of the new FAA guidelines just signed into law...

Hmmm.

Some excerpts:

...the amended law will, among other things, allow travelers to carry aboard any instrument or related gear that it can be safely stored in the cabin...

It would be prudent to understand that those making the determination as to whether or not it can be safely stored in the cabin is the flight crew, and no one else. I don't suspect it'll be too long after it goes into effect that we'll be hearing stories of musicians getting kicked off of flights because they believe they have some "right" to carry a guitar on a plane. If the crew decides it's not safe, that's the end of the discussion...

...the new FAA rules won’t go into effect until final regulations have been issued, which, according to the bill, will be “no later than two years after the date of enactment.”

It hasn't even been enacted yet, so relying on the new guidelines now might be a bit ill-advised.

The best advice is always "check with the carrier"...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »
Yeah, just don't argue with the crew - this chick was arrested for mouthing off on a Southwest flight...

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/weird/Southwest-Flight-Nail-Polish-141663153.html

edited for language
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:10:50 PM by michaelw »

dougboy1970

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 07:56:20 PM »
My greatest concern is whether or not they'll try to do a naked body scan or full body pat-down on my GS8 or GS Mini-M.  Both are quite modest and don't like to be touched by strangers...