Author Topic: Guitar shops in the Seattle area  (Read 3336 times)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
Guitar shops in the Seattle area
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
UTGFers, I'm moving up to Seattle in a few weeks and want to know where all the good guitar shops are. So if you're from the area or have visited enough to know the lay of the land, please point me in the right direction! I do know about Dusty Strings. I'll make a beeline for their doors as soon as possible after we've settled in.

Thanks!
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Guitar shops in the Seattle area
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »
UTGFers, I'm moving up to Seattle in a few weeks and want to know where all the good guitar shops are. So if you're from the area or have visited enough to know the lay of the land, please point me in the right direction! I do know about Dusty Strings. I'll make a beeline for their doors as soon as possible after we've settled in.

Thanks!

I think you'll need a new Taylor to commemorate the move!   ;)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
I think you'll need a new Taylor to commemorate the move!   ;)

Great minds think alike.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:32:17 PM »
Seattle's an incredibly good music town, but a surprisingly poor guitar-shop town.  Dusty Strings is -- by far -- the cream of the crop.  Another decent option is Bellevue American Music, although it's primarily a shop for electrics; still, they have a competent acoustic selection.

And then, of course, there are the Guitar Centers.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

e8n

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »
+1 on Dusty Strings.  I think Dennis recommended that for my Seattle visit and I was very pleased.  Great place with some really cool and unique stuff.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Jannie

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »
Yes, they generally have a bunch of Taylor's, lots of Martins, some custom builds, 8-10 Collongs, Goodalls, depending when, a few from a local builder (freaking wonderful) who only builds about 12 a year, a bunch of classicals etc. and a bunch of less expensive in the Seagull type grouping.

skavon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
Yes, Dusty Strings is the cream of the crop for acoustics. Youll love it. American Music (about 10 blocks away) is also a nice shop with a number of high end and standard acoustic, and a lot of electrics as well. You should also take a trip just south to Tukwila to visit A Sharp music. They have some high end acoustics (r taylor, Taylor, etc) http://asharpmusicco.com/. Of course there are a few guitar centers. The GC on westlake ave has a pretty good acoustic section. It's worth a stop. Outside of these main shops you can stop at Trading Musician or Georgetown Music to find some new/used acoustics (not a lot of high end stuff but fun to look). Emerald City Guitars in Pioneer Square is a fantastic store of vintage stuff but mostly used high end electrics. They do have a room of used high end acoustics as well that's worth checking out. No new stuff. There is a specialty classical guitar shop that's really nice called Rosewood Guitars. Even if you don't play classic it's fun to check out. I'm sure there are a few small places I forgot but that gives you a good idea.

Hope that helps out and welcome to the NW

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
Yes, Dusty Strings is the cream of the crop for acoustics. Youll love it. American Music (about 10 blocks away) is also a nice shop with a number of high end and standard acoustic, and a lot of electrics as well. You should also take a trip just south to Tukwila to visit A Sharp music. They have some high end acoustics (r taylor, Taylor, etc) http://asharpmusicco.com/. Of course there are a few guitar centers. The GC on westlake ave has a pretty good acoustic section. It's worth a stop. Outside of these main shops you can stop at Trading Musician or Georgetown Music to find some new/used acoustics (not a lot of high end stuff but fun to look). Emerald City Guitars in Pioneer Square is a fantastic store of vintage stuff but mostly used high end electrics. They do have a room of used high end acoustics as well that's worth checking out. No new stuff. There is a specialty classical guitar shop that's really nice called Rosewood Guitars. Even if you don't play classic it's fun to check out. I'm sure there are a few small places I forgot but that gives you a good idea.

That's great!  Even though I'm a Seattle resident, there are plenty of stores I'm unfamiliar with, and I'm happy to learn about them.  Thanks for the tips.

Hope that helps out and welcome to the NW
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke