Author Topic: New to the forum...Just bought my second Taylor...question about which plant  (Read 8604 times)

Smcgee

I recently found the site, and I have been enjoying the forum.

I just bought a new 814ce and if I am reading the serial number correctly, it came out of Tecate. I thought all the higher end guitars came out of El Cajon. It doesn't really matter. The workmanship and sound are wonderful. I'm just curious when they started producing the 800 series across the border, or if I'm just plain wrong.

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
Welcome!

I'm 99% sure that all 300 series guitars and up are made in El Cajon. You could call Taylor just to make sure though.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Smcgee

That is what I thought, but the new format serial number starts with a 2. Doesn't that mean Tecate?

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
That is what I thought, but the new format serial number starts with a 2. Doesn't that mean Tecate?

I'm not sure what the serial number format is these days, but I guess a quick call to Taylor would instantly clear it up. I'll be very surprised if your 814 wasn't made at the main factory in El Cajon.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Smcgee

Yeah, I'll call them when I get back from this business trip. I'm just curious.

thebigz

I fell victim to this looking at a 714 once.  Be sure to count the numbers in serial.  If it is 11 digits then it is the older (and easier) system.  The first four digits will be the year made, which means it will probably start with a 2 since it was made in the 2000s.

The new system started in 2009 where the 1 and 2 designate which factory it was made in.

I'm positive your 814 was made in the El Cajon plant

http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/taylor-support/faq-when-was-my-guitar-made

Smcgee

I fell victim to this looking at a 714 once.  Be sure to count the numbers in serial.  If it is 11 digits then it is the older (and easier) system.  The first four digits will be the year made, which means it will probably start with a 2 since it was made in the 2000s.

The new system started in 2009 where the 1 and 2 designate which factory it was made in.

I'm positive your 814 was made in the El Cajon plant

http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/taylor-support/faq-when-was-my-guitar-made

I'll bet that is it. I'll count them when I get home. Thanks.

acmeseed

• Computer Services
My 2011 814ce starts with a 1 for the serial number.
Mike

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
I have a 2011 and confirmed how to decode the serial number while on the phone with Taylor service a few weeks ago.

I think that if your's was made in Mexico, then you have a rare collector's item. All 300 through 900 series are made in California, as far as I have been told.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
Taylor has never made an 814ce in Tecate...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
I recently found the site, and I have been enjoying the forum.

I just bought a new 814ce and if I am reading the serial number correctly, it came out of Tecate. I thought all the higher end guitars came out of El Cajon. It doesn't really matter. The workmanship and sound are wonderful. I'm just curious when they started producing the 800 series across the border, or if I'm just plain wrong.
hi Smcgee,
good to see you here :)
WELCOME !congrats on the 814ce :D

guitar production in tecate began with the baby & big Baby in 05-06,
then the 100 series & gradually the 200 series in 08 & GS mini in 10 -
from 98-on, the 300 series/up have always been made in el cajon, ca

the current serial # system was used starting in November 2, 2009 &
guitars built before that date in 09 should have a
2009MMDDCXX format,
where the first 4 digits designate the year
5-6 month
7-8 day
9 series check digit
10-11 sequence # of guitar started that day

the current serial # system uses a slightly different system
OYMMDDYCXX
1st digit is the origin - 1 for el cajon, 2 for tecate
2  decade of year 0 or 1
3/4  month
5/6  day
7 year (9, 0, 1, 2)
8 series check digit
10-11 sequence #

the 814ce had the same aesthetic appointments as the current model beginning in 07, with
CV bracing starting in early 09 & the discrete pre-amp single body sensor ES in early 10 -
the latest version of ES has a single switch on the pre-amp, & 2 switches on the 07-09 models

i'm glad you're enjoying your 814ce & please make yourself comfortable :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:34:59 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
I hate it when you know some bit of info, then because other folks raise points and questions, you then begin to doubt what you thought you "knew."  :)

...ok, so here's what I've known: Taylor produces no 300 on up series guitar outside of their production facility in ElCajon, Ca.  Period.  Never seen anything else ever say or allude to the contrary.

So now that this is clear, let's get back to what's really important...
...so, what's your next guitar :D :D :D

Edward

Satsuki

To put your mind at rest call Taylor. It will take about 3 minutes.

Smcgee

To put your mind at rest call Taylor. It will take about 3 minutes.

It is the 11 digit versus the newest serial number. Mine was built in late 2009 so it still has the previous numbering convention.

Just a curiosity. I love this guitar. I played and looked at guitars for a year and then this one hanging on the last high peg at the shop ust seemed perfect to me. I didn't pay attention to the date of manufacture since I just didn't care. Then when I registered it and looked at the 2 beginning the serial number I got to wondering.

Smcgee

I hate it when you know some bit of info, then because other folks raise points and questions, you then begin to doubt what you thought you "knew."  :)

...ok, so here's what I've known: Taylor produces no 300 on up series guitar outside of their production facility in ElCajon, Ca.  Period.  Never seen anything else ever say or allude to the contrary.

So now that this is clear, let's get back to what's really important...
...so, what's your next guitar :D :D :D

Edward

This one will have to hold me for a while I think. It's crazy how attached I already am to this thing. This is the first guitar that just felt like it was "My" guitar from the first time I picked it up. Goofy I know....