Taylor Acoustic & Electric Guitars > Taylor Acoustic & Electric Guitars

Taylor 814ce ES2 Pickup System

(1/3) > >>

Ade:
Hello
I read some Statement about the problems with ES2 Pickup System. I have two Taylor Guitars 814CE Manufacture Date 2021 and 214DLX Manufacture Date 2021. The acoustic sound from both Guitars are beautiful but the Pickup System ist very bad. I try all options with EQ and use a Di-Box. The result is now and is importend frequence about 3.5Khz turn to low. Also 40HZ to low. It is now a little bit  better result but not good. The Guitars are very expensive but the Pickupsystem is terrible and the Sound is tinny. Have anybody a good idea. Sorry for my bad english but my home Country is Bavarian in Germany.
Thanks and kind regards
Ade

PaulWood:
Hello Ade.

You will find you are not alone in your opinion of the ES2 system. There are a number of threads on this subject, which you may want to check out. To be fair, some people love ES2, but not me!

My first Taylor was a 2006 614ce, which was my favourite guitar for a long time. It was originally fitted with the first ES system, which was very good. When that system needed replacing, I was told that I had to have ES2 as the replacement. This was done in Amsterdam. I think that was about 10 years ago, and the sound was so bad that the guitar has not been played more than a few times since. Recently, after I'd had some advice on EQ settings from a Forum member, I decided to give the guitar another try. I found it is now almost acceptable BUT the slightest touch of my fingers on the scratch plate, or the bodywork, is amplified so much that it interferes with the music itself and I would find it impossible to perform with it. I may have to have a non-Taylor pickup fitted.

Hopefully, you'll get a few helpful replies to your question, but I advise you to look at the existing threads.

Good luck!

Earl:
Guten abend und willkommen, Ade.  I have no direct experience with ES2 mostly because of these stories and how consistently they appear.    Kudos to anyone who has successfully used an ES2 system, but they seem to be in the minority. 

I'm quite happy with ES1.3 in several of my former Taylor guitars and the one remaining koa 424.  But ES2 is a major barrier to purchasing anything new.  I'd rather get a guitar without electronics and then add the system of my choice, rather than default to something that is (being blunt) "...not ready for prime time....".

Edward:
Hi there Ade,

Welcome, glad to have you here! 

Are you plugging into a mixer then to PA speakers, or into a guitar amplifier?  I hope the PA as that will get you the best results.

With the ES2, if you have a parametric or graphic EQ, try these approximate frequency values:
- 400-500Hz: decrease
- 900Hz-1.2khz: decrease
Leave all other frequencies "flat" (unchanged), and judge: is this any closer or better sounding so far? (for the first step).  I have found that reducing in these frequency ranges tends to "clear up" the ES2's muddy low end, lending some overall clarity just by subtracting these "boomy" tones.

If the above gets your tone closer to your preference, now play around with adding/subtracting the upper-midrange frequencies (2kHz-3kHz) and the treble (4-6kHz).  Adding or subtracting in these frequency ranges will affect the brightness and clarity of your tone: too much in one direction will result in dark, dull voice or an overly bright and thin voice. 

Tell us what you get.  :)

Edward

Ade:
Hi
i have read other Threats about ES2 System and i know i not alone with the same problem.
I try many positions on EQ and also from Edward recommend 400 - 500 decrease and 900 - 1.2 khz decrease. It is a good recommend. I used a 10 Band EQ. Only my Mixer Dynacord PM 1000 with parametric Mid is now so i mean and listen Hi turn a little less, mid by 500hz more less and Bass a little bit more. Further use the Button for cut 80hz and voice filter. I get now a easy acceptable result. PA Box is a EV 15/3.
Many Thanks on all Taylor Friends.
Ade

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version