Author Topic: Nothing to see here...  (Read 443 times)

McBrain

Nothing to see here...
« on: October 15, 2023, 09:49:06 AM »
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 05:37:38 PM by McBrain »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Would this bother you? Small chip in finish after neck reset
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 11:06:51 AM »
There is no good reason that a chip should have occurred in that area.  It almost looks as if he pried the neck from the body.  I guess the only positive thing to say here is that it is on the bottom side and you won't have to look at it EVERY time you play your new guitar.  The neck unbolts and simply lifts off, with no glue involved.  Granted the tolerances are tight, but there should be no need to force things.  I once saw a neck reset demonstrated at a Road Show.  It took about as long to remove the strings as it did to remove the neck.  The factory tech took off the strings, unbolted the neck, and casually handed it to the shocked owner in front of the crowd, all while casually chatting about the process.  Then he replaced the shims and put it back on, and restrung.  That took a total of about ten minutes.

I'm sorry that you don't have many local options, but this guy would *never* see my guitar again.  He clearly does not know what he is doing.  You might end up sending it to the Netherlands to be repaired by competent people.  Let Taylor in Amsterdam know all of the story just as you have expressed it here, including pictures.  It seems better to have no authorized service center at all than one that will butcher your guitar.  Lower the saddle first?  Yikes!  Clearly someone did not pay attention at whatever training was provided to get "authorized".

As for the action, it will get lower in dry conditions (the top sinks) and higher in wet conditions (the top swells).  But that generally takes 2-3 weeks to become noticeable, not just a couple of days.  When I lived in ultra-dry Alaska, many players had low summer saddles and higher winter saddles to avoid chasing the setup seasonally.  It was challenging to humidify a case well enough to avoid that shift.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 11:57:13 AM »
Earl is RIGHT.

You should let Taylor know what you just went thru.  Although I would remind you it is a TOOL, and not to FRET.  Haha

If it plays good and sounds good it is good to go!

Whew.

Enjoy it

Paul

beninma

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 11:51:11 AM »
I think the "roughness" and the way it looks like there is some glue residue or finish residue is normal.   Yours does look raised, but I have some of that same off white residue visible on my brand new 514ce that has never had the neck reset, and on mine there is more of it visible on one side than the other.

The chip does look like something happened though.   I am unsure how bothered by this I would be though.  It depends on how much of a PITA it was going to be to get Taylor to look at it, and whether repairing it was something they thought was risky or whether they thought it was trivial to fix.

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 01:21:03 PM »
Taylor uses a type of putty they press into the very small gap where the neck meets the soundboard. It's the type of process that the factory does perfectly, but for a random certified Taylor tech, (who doesn't even know a neck reset is covered by the warranty!) it's a material they might not even have on hand, or they lack the tools and patience to apply as perfectly as the factory does. That accounts for the roughness you see. My guess is that the tech didn't even notice it or thought it looked better than what he could do if he tried to touch it up.

I can well imagine that with the close tolerances that Taylor has that a chip like that is possible when lifting the neck up from the body. One degree off angle and the neck scrubs the soundboard edge too hard when lifted and the edge raises up. Stuff happens. Catalyzed finishes aren't as easily touched up as solvent finishes are, so do you really want to send it back to a different Taylor Factory service (I doubt your guy is equipped to respray uv finishes)  to respray the entire top? I wouldn't risk it myself as something else is likely to go awry, namely that they'd have to tape off the bridge leaving a raised finish edge you'll no doubt see.

I'm gonna offer some tough love here which you won't like since you've already read it. I note you also posted this on reddit, so that's 3 attempts to get the validation you seem to want to be p*ssed off over a 1 mm finish flaw that you'll never see when playing and will forget as soon as your pride lets you. Fine, for what little it's worth from a total stranger, you have my permission to be upset. You also have my permission to sell the guitar if it's going to bug you so much. But you don't have my permission to return it for a small harmless finish flaw. Just keep in mind that a new guitar doesn't stay pristine for more than a few weeks!. Eventually you'll ding the soundboard or headstock, scuff the bottom bout, scratch the pickguard somehow and curse just as you are now.

Such is life. The glass half full stuff is that you got your action fixed to your liking and hopefully you bought the guitar to enjoy playing and not as a museum piece so you're still way ahead with your still beautiful and 99.99999999% perfect Taylor guitar!
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

McBrain

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 05:39:58 PM »
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 05:38:02 PM by McBrain »