Author Topic: 2023 T5z design problem - Need Assistance  (Read 409 times)

Rclompus

2023 T5z design problem - Need Assistance
« on: September 18, 2023, 07:44:01 PM »
I've played a T5z Koa custom pro for the past 2 years.  Its a nice instrument but I found the new 2023 tapered body design T5z much more comfortable to play. I've had the new version in Cayenne Red for the past month and discovered a design problem.  The 3 pre-amp knobs were relocated to the lower edge of the guitar.  This conforms to many electric guitars. They look like tiny rubber bells.  There is a small raised dimple on each knob to indicate the rotation position.  The dimple is small, difficult to feel and almost impossible to see - even with normal room lighting.  There is a very little resistance when turning the knobs. 

But here is the problem: when you're strumming along and enjoying a song and then your right arm lightly brushes against the first knob turning the volume up to maximum.  It'll stop you in your tracks and hopefully not damage your amp speaker.  Its happened a few times.  It could be fixed with increased rotational resistance of each knob.  I called Taylor customer service last week and was told nothing could be done.  The pot under each knob is soldered directly to the preamp board inside he guitar.  There's nothing to adjust.  I'm sure many on the forum have experienced the difference with volume knobs on cheap stereo systems compared to premium ones.  The better potentiometers have increased resistance to turning that make them feel more sturdy.  I thought perhaps I could place a thin felt strap washer under the rubber knob to increase the resistance to turning.  Unfortunately, the post is actually connected to the knob and placing a washer there will not permit the knob to fully seat into the pot. 

I'll use a dot of white or red nail polish to highlight the dimple on each knob so there's a visible marker when adjusting them. 

If anyone has any suggestions, please reply.  This is my 7th Taylor guitar and the first one that has disappointed me. For some reason, I have been unable to post jpg images of the knobs.

Be well,
Richard Clompus
Roanoke, VA

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
Re: 2023 T5z design problem - Need Assistance
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 08:16:37 PM »
Same with the stupid ES knobs. No matter which generation ES pup, they all get bumped by my fretting arm
Occasionally. 

I wound up pulling them off and using my fingertip in the wells.

Most folks don’t seem to care,   But they don’t work for me. 

Can you just yank them and see if it helps you?

Good luck

Paul

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 09:36:47 PM »
Hi Richard,

Funny you want more resistance to turning as you pay extra for pots with low-torque feel in the electric guit world.  Btw, I've never once, ever, heard of a pot's "feel" being adjustable in anyway.  Not sure what you think you were going to find looking inside as every pot I've seen in decades has been exactly just that: a variable resistor and nothing more.

You're on the right track with a soft washer like felt under the knob.  I've never pulled one off, is it not a mere friction fit or does it "click in" somehow?  If the latter, try and fab a thinner washer out of felt or the like.  You only need "that much" material to offer friction between the knob and guitar body ...sounds like trial/error fitment is in order.

Alternative quick n dirty: use blue painter's tape.  Just cut a small piece to your liking that isn't too visually off-putting and you're done.  Not the most elegant, but definitely works.  I've done so many times for pedal knobs in the past.

Edward
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 09:46:03 PM by Edward »

beninma

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 11:18:42 AM »
You need to either adapt your playing technique or just get a different guitar that suits your technique.

People complain about turning the knobs inadvertently on Strats too, but other people adjust to it and have no issue.   Some people probably love the new knobs on the T5z.

As far as markings on the knobs.. you should not need to look at your knobs to adjust them while playing.   If you get used to the guitar enough you won't, so markings become pointless.

I totally agree with you on the ultra low friction knobs though.   PRS uses them too, and I don't like them, so don't own a PRS.  Low friction knobs has nothing to do with "high end", it's just a choice, and it seems like most of the market for electric guitars has decided they are not preferred for a very long time.   Pots are super cheap too, so it's not like low friction is somehow indicative of a really expensive pot.

But somebody at Taylor must like those low friction pots.  Weird choice though since they don't use them on ES2, ES-B, etc..

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 02:46:18 PM »
The felt washer under the knob was my first reaction too.  The ES knobs are rubber and simply pull off.  I've done that washer trick on a pro-grade Sony cassette deck that I used to do field recordings with.  Some techs would open it up and bypass the gain pot entirely, but I'm not that good with tiny electronics.

I sold my T5 Classic and the volume pot was noisy, mostly from lack of use.  It was going to be $114 minimum for parts -- a whole new board, not counting labor by a trained tech.  You cannot replace just the faulty $10 pot itself when it gets noisy.  Repair requires a whole new board and a new wiring harness, because they switched connectors at some point.  Taylor builds great guitars, no question.  Pickups and electronics... not so much.  They make design decisions for their ease during the initial build, which makes repairs down the road more difficult than necessary.   :(
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby